New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Need advice on turkey fan mounts  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Need advice on turkey fan mounts
« on: May 31, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »
Have a pair of gobbler fans in the freezer that I intend to mount.  Haven't done it before. Doing some web searching, it appears most people are following the same basic technique, some using salt while others prefer borax powder to cure the skin.  Two questions for you wise people who have done this before:

1 - any personal preference for borax or salt, and why?

2 - once all of the feathers are in place & everything is cured, should a person consider applying any sort of clear shellac, lacquer, or maybe even hair spray (?) to keep everything looking neat & make it easier to dust the thing off without messing up all of the feathers in years to come?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Need advice on turkey fan mounts
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
Borax is the best way to go, in fact after they have dried out using borax I put them in a plastric bag with more borax in the bag covering the feather bases until I am ready to mount them .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:52:02 PM »
Roger, I have done three fan mounts.  I use borax, (read Boraxo) cuz that's what we have on hand.  I try to remove as much fat and excess meat off the tail and then apply a good handful of borax to it, and try to work it in.  Then I put another handful on a large cardboard box (saved it for this purpose) then place the fan right side up, so the handful of borax is under the tail.  Then, using large T-pins, I pin the tail down, and the tail feathers spreading them evenly.  I add more borax and then let it sit for about a month.  Just took a pic of one I have already set up.  this one is the jake I shot earlier this month.  I don't apply any kind of spray afterwards.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks guys - eager to give this a try.  My better half has the day off tomorrow, I'll have her pick up a box of borax for me and hopefully this weekend I'll give it a go.  Planning to build up a nice little quarter sawn oak plaque to mount it on.
and enjoy it!

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 05:43:35 AM »
Roger, I have done three fan mounts.  I use borax, (read Boraxo) cuz that's what we have on hand.  I try to remove as much fat and excess meat off the tail and then apply a good handful of borax to it, and try to work it in.  Then I put another handful on a large cardboard box (saved it for this purpose) then place the fan right side up, so the handful of borax is under the tail.  Then, using large T-pins, I pin the tail down, and the tail feathers spreading them evenly.  I add more borax and then let it sit for about a month.  Just took a pic of one I have already set up.  this one is the jake I shot earlier this month.  I don't apply any kind of spray afterwards.

This is the same way I do mine, I just did five this season, and have done all of them this way for the past four years. To date I have had no problems with any of them. It's very easy to do and yours will turn out very nice once done. Just make sure you clean the feathers very well first. Use a mild soap, I just use what ever hand soap we have on hand at the time and wipe it on with a damp cloth and then try to wipe it all off with a clean damp cloth to get the extra soap off.

Make sure you cut the "V" shape tail bone off at the bottom of the base of tail feathers, you will feel it, because that will make the fan set flat on the wall. Go for it and good luck.

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 05:44:58 AM »
Sorry, but my above post I was trying to Quote MichiganLouie. Not sure why it turned out like it did. LOL

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 06:10:04 AM »
Here is another tip for you, Roger, or anyone who's thinking of making a turkey fan mount.  The idea is to use the plaque mount as a clamp to hold the fan securely, without glue, etc. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 06:20:46 AM »
A local taxidermist told me to use borax after removing as much meat as you can.    This has worked well for me with turkey fans, beards, and deer skull caps.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
Borax is the only way to go! @--0--0101
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »
I also use Borax and rub it in real good. Then I put a small pile of Borax underneath the base, pin the feathers and then put another pile of Borax on top of the base. After it all dry, I use automotive Bondo to seal it up real good, Follow the directions as that hardens real fast. YO\ou can buy that at Wal-Mart and it contains the mix plus a hardener cream. The directions are easy to follow on that.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:04:44 PM »
Thanks again guys, wife found me a box of borax today so I'm ready to go.  Louie - I'm sure I can figure this out with a little experimenting, but roughly how long do you make that spacer piece which goes between the wall plaque & the decorative piece?
and enjoy it!

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 06:02:59 AM »
I would let it go around a month. That's just me If it doesn't dry right, when you release the pins, the feathers will start to move toward the center and make the fam small so you don't want to rush it. I know you're excited about getting it up but you want to do it right so it looks great, and I know it will!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »
Borax is the way to go I use it ion my fans spurs and beards. Just be careful not to spread the tail feathers out too far or they will turn sideways when they dry I did this on my first one-- It still looks good but some of the feathers are off. Just fan it out without a lot of stretching use a gentle relaxed pressure.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
Thanks again guys, wife found me a box of borax today so I'm ready to go.  Louie - I'm sure I can figure this out with a little experimenting, but roughly how long do you make that spacer piece which goes between the wall plaque & the decorative piece?

Roger, the length (width, thickness?) of the spacer piece depends on how thick the tail is in the area that would get clamped up.  You want it to be just a little narrower, so when you tighten the screws, the spacer squeezes the tail securely.  Just measured one I made out of 3/4" stock.  it's 4" long, 15/32" thick.  See the new pic.  I did cut a kerf on it, so the paracord holding the spurs and shotshell would go through.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:28:15 PM by MichiganLouie »
NRA Life Member.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 05:52:18 PM »
Got it, thanks Louie, that puts me in the ballpark to start with.  Nice spurs on that bird!
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad