New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Got a new plot seeded tonight  (Read 1216 times)

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Got a new plot seeded tonight
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:55:58 PM »
Things have been pretty busy here of late and time has gotten away from me - - have two more plots I want to get seeded this spring but just haven't been able to get on it.  Just saw the forecast for rain the next 3-4 days so figured tonight would have to work or I'd be getting too late.  Wanted to plant some chicory, but when I swung by Gander Mountain on the way home tonight, the only thing they had with any Chicory in it was WTI's new Fusion product, a mix of clover & chicory.  Have a good supply of clover already, but what the heck, I'll give it a try.  Got home & changed, went out & got the tractor fueled up, swapped implements, went in & grabbed supper, went back out & tractor wouldn't crank.   ##$%#12  Got my son out to help & after 30 minutes of fiddling had it back to life.  Got the plot worked up, rolled, seeded, then rolled again, finished in the dark (only about a half acre).  Looking forward to see what this stuff does.  I've probably just cursed us now - the rain will probably all disappear from the forecast by morning.   
@--0--0105

Any of you planted this yet?    Still have another area that I'd like to get Powerplant or some other beans in, but that will have to wait for a bit.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Got a new plot seeded tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:27:48 AM »
I planted chicory a few years back in the fall. Plot did very well. Took the deer awhile before they starting feeding on it but they seemed to like it once it got established. The clover mix of Fusion should work well for you. Got my new powerplant in a few weeks ago and I need to go and check it out to see how things are going after a few rains on it. Sounds like you got things in the ground just in time. Good luck with the rain...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:21 AM »
Good for you, now if mother nature does her part and gives you some timely rains.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:28:30 PM »
Good deal Madgomer.  Hope the weather holds out for you.  I tried chicory this year myself and over-seeded it with alfalfa.  Keep us posted on the Fusion.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »
Glad you got a break in the weather. Now if the rain comes again you will be glad to see it!! ##$%#11
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »
we have pop up showers all week, if you believe the weather guy. so far we are up to a trace here. I hope the cabin doesn't get washed out. I have to get my tree tubes on the fruit trees I planted a month ago. I also plan to break an acre of new ground.

I was going to plant 3/4 of an acre of sunflowers, but w/ so many bears I think it would be a waste of effort. I think they destroy it

nice work. send picks when it gets going
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
The first 24 hours passed with no rain, Like Yari said I think they're generally just covering their bases in the forecast for the popup showers we're prone to get with the warm spell & high humidity.  Will try to get out tonight & break up the other plot to knock the grass & weeds back, or just hit it with the roundup if I run into tractor issues again.  Need to get the garden watered too, it's actually starting to get a little stressed.  That usually helps bring on the rain.   --9-908
and enjoy it!

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:36:19 PM »
Clover, Fusion, and Trial Seed from WTI coming up nicely!
I planted Power Plant this evening as rain is in the forecast tonight and tomorrow.
I planted it on the edges and created cover and shooting lanes where clover and Fusion are.
Already seeing lots of tracks....so deer are discovering and dining! 
I will meet their allowable nutrition demands and  %^$^ them come October!
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Online Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 07:45:47 PM »
Foss - I took a similar approach with the Powerplant last summer - worked out well.  An early wet snow knocked it all flat, so lost the cover aspect, but the deer were still in it all winter.
and enjoy it!

Offline popgunwill

• Spike
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
Planted my Fusion several weeks ago and we've had the rain. The plot is up about 6" and the deer are in it every day. It's only 1/2 acre but I only have so much room for food plots and the rest is already planted.

Had some grass as I expected. Sprayed it with arrest max 2 weeks ago. Grass is turning purple which means it's on the way out. I think the new Arrest Max is working faster than the original Arrest and it costs about half as much per acre. Don't see many product improvements that don't cost more than the older version but this is one of them.

Looks like a good blend. I'll keep you up to speed.

POP

Online Madgomer

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 09:08:12 PM »
Thanks for that Popgun.  I haven't used Arrest yet but may give that a try.  I split the Fusion between two small patches, one of which I had really clean, the other one is likely to give me some weed issues, and may be a great candidate for Arrest.  Now if I could only get some rain on it all - hard as a rock out there, have had less than a tenth of an inch since I planted it, barely enough to settle the dust.
and enjoy it!

Online Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 06:52:05 AM »
Looks like I'm in for a do-over on those two plots I put in late May.  Has been unusually warm and dry since, with only two measurable rains.  The heavy clay here is like a rock and the only thing germinating are the native weeds.  Think I'll go bust it all up again before the weeds go to seed and plan on a fall planting of some sort. Really disappointed, but such is life in the agriculture world, glad I'm not relying on it to feed the family.   @--0--0105
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
mother nature is fickle. I came home a day early from the cabin. my rain gauge was overflowing at 6" in 2 1/2 weeks. it's just a mud hole. it all evens out, so I'm sure it will be a dustbowl when I plant this fall

good luck w/ the next planting
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 12:30:32 PM »
I had intensions of planting a strip of no till but my weed killer didn't quite do the job.Sprayed it again and my battery went dead.I'll be down tomorrow with a new battery to try it again.Plus some lime and 10-10-10 fertilizer.I guess the delay isn't all bad because we are having a July like heat wave. Planted two Dunstan chestnuts and one persimmon tree and they seem to be doing fine.I do try to water them when I am down there also.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

New Page 3

Google Ad