New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New Crossbow - Steyker Solutions LS  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Jap51

• Button Buck
Re: New Crossbow - Steyker Solutions LS
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »
Nice....can't wait to see ya in action this year.... %^$^
Butts County Sportsmen's Club Member
NWTF Member

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Offline Mossyhead

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »
i love my excalibur tactzone scope    https://youtu.be/vEGPG3rKdiE
Ted Walker, Manager of Big Buck Down Hunting Properties

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 11:30:28 PM »
Mossy - I am still looking at the Zeiss or Leupold Crossbow scope, but are 2-7X x 33mm scopes for the PSE TAC 15i.....But I was looking at both the Excalibur and the Hawke scopes for the Styker. They are probably made at the same factory and just put different labels on them!! LOL...

I think a simple scope like the Zeiss XB75 would be good for the PSE crossbow....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
Last Tune Up before heading South. Will take the Styker and test it at 30 through 60 yards and maybe beyond ??? this Friday. Wife has to baby sit so I will head to the range (the Archery range is right next to the rifle range). Will take my target and set up at different distances and do one final check....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 06:30:01 AM »
Did not go to the range, instead went over to a friend house and shot there. If you live in East Tennessee, there are hills everywhere!!! So I shot two arrows at 40 yards, slightly high; one shot at 50 yards and one shot at 60 yards...because of the arrow being high at 40 yards put the pin at the top of the bulls eye and it dropped in and at 60 yards place the target (his) bulls eye between (guesstimated) the 50 and 60 yard markers and it drop right on....

At 40 yards the angle was right at 30 degrees down hill and at 50 it was about 27.5 degree and at 60 yards it was about 25 Degree downhill....JD the guys house I went over to wanted to shoot it as well, so he did and really liked it a lot...he shot his compound and it has been over 10 years since he had shot his compound and he just turned 65 and was thinking about getting back into hunting and archery and wanted to shoot my Styker...he was impressed with it....He like myself, set a limited of 35 to 40 yards with the compound and with a good decent crossbow you can shoot out to 80 yards. That is my limit since I don't have a 100 yard pin...LOL...see targets

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 09:26:14 AM »
Have fun with your new toys!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 06:20:34 PM »
Thanks Flint - It all starts next week for me...last four days of archery and the first four days of Muzzle Loader season...then it is back up here to TN and reload and to Vote! Get ready for the two weeks of rifle season and head back south....

Should be interesting....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 06:28:59 PM »
Nice shooting Bo...your ready... @--0--0123
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 06:22:04 AM »
Now that GA Archery and Muzzle Loader Season is behind us and the Rifle season is here. Want to look back and give everyone my thoughts and ask questions. This was the first year that I combined Archery with Muzzle Loader and first year I took a Crossbow into the woods...I sort of thought of it as a Muzzle loader....I waited to I got to/into the stand/blind before cocking it and then waiting to get back to camp and changing arrow to a field tip and discharging the Crossbow into a target. Does anyone else do this?? Several of the guys did this and one guy left his cocked the whole time down there.
 %^$^

Would like to hear from others on this. Please pass along any ideas.....This is my first year with a Crossbow in the woods, and it has been about 3 years or so since I was able to make it into the woods for Archery season. Normally I will pull out my old trusty compound (PSE) and hunt with it. The main reason is my TKR (Total Knee Replacement) and being on the road for work! But from now on, will make this an annual trip down, love this time of the year...besides my BDay is in Oct...LOL...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:24:29 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »
Finally had the time to get out and shoot the Styker Solutions LS crossbow. The two attached pictures are from today and they are the first three arrows shot in 2017!! Shot them at 30 yards. Shot a second and third groups with one click to the left and one click up and got my breathing under control. There was with no support, I was standing and my elbow in the old big gut. Tomorrow, I will get a folding chair out from the garage and and try again. Groups should be better. Try to simulate the blind conditions as much as possible....I am using a 125 gn field tip for all the shots, same as last year....It's a start....

Temp is 66 F and the Humidity is 71% and there is not wind.....

This year with the new left knee, not sure about a lot of things but will be out there trying my best to nail a big buck or even a doe, if we see a ton of does.....

More pictures tomorrow.....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:49:23 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »
That's plenty good to put some venison in the freezer Bo!   You're a brave man shooting three bolts at the same mark, do that for long and you'll need to buy new bolts.  I'm sure amazed with the accuracy of mine too.  Have fiddled with the scope just a little since I mounted it, but probably far less than 2" of adjustment at 30 yards.  I'm amazed at how much different it seems between 30 and 40 yards on flight time.  Out to 30 it seems like the bolt is on the target as soon as the trigger breaks, but at 40 you have time to watch the flight.  For now, I'll be limiting my shots to 30 with it until I get some confidence in the performance on a live target.  Not difficult to live within that limit, as my local bowhunting area is so thick 30 will be tough to reach.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 11:32:56 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments....Before heading out to the range, after the rain stopped, set up the target again at 30 yard and tried again....you are right Split Toe, some tweaking is all that I need...will keep trying almost daily. Did 6 shots today, first three arrows today are shown....

Will move out to 40 yards within the next couple of days, hopefully it won't rain for the next few days.....

Mad - I would go out to 40 yards, there sure are a lot of deer between 30 and 40 yards...heck last year I had confidence out to 70 yards and even today will not hesitate to shoot a deer at 50 yards. I have 5 other bows, 3 compounds are in there somewhere....but last year 2016 started getting serious about getting back into archery season simple because I retired last year. Now I have a PSE TAC 15i and it is too long and heavy to hunt with, so I started looking at finding another crossbow. I went to my local archery shop, about a block away from the AR shop and talk to the guy. It took me a week and lots of viewing time on You Tube to make a decision on the Styker Solutions LS....did not consult with Split Toe, but he too has a Styker Crossbow, I think his is the Katrina that goes 380 FPS...man that's fast....So that is the story behind my main crossbow.....

I think you will gain the confidence you will need just by practicing a bit more....as far as the number of 20 inch long arrows/bolts that I have, the count currently stands at 14. Last year #12 had an accident, so the official count stays at 13, will add a half dozen or so this year......
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:43:31 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 05:29:59 AM »
Forgot to mention that everyone that shoots a crossbow needs a Rangefinder! Any rangefinder will work....the cheapies will work just fine....that is why I bought a Bushnell Bone Collector that goes out to 600 yards. Think I need it only about 75 yards.

After getting the Styker, it did not take me long to decided I needed a extra rangefinder dedicated to the crossbow...I have many other rangefinders and the Leica is the best one I have. It has the best glass on the market at the time I bought it. Like most hunters, you want make sure that the rangefinder takes common batteries to operate...I try to settle in on AA or AAA and for the scopes use the CR2032 battery...the Lecia Rangefinder takes a special battery and it will take up to 1000 readings before you need to replace it....some of the rangefinders that I have in the pile take 9 Volt, the early ones did....

Just some thoughts......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 06:26:10 AM »
Forgot to mention that everyone that shoots a crossbow needs a Rangefinder! Any rangefinder will work....the cheapies will work just fine....that is why I bought a Bushnell Bone Collector that goes out to 600 yards. Think I need it only about 75 yards.

After getting the Styker, it did not take me long to decided I needed a extra rangefinder dedicated to the crossbow...I have many other rangefinders and the Leica is the best one I have. It has the best glass on the market at the time I bought it. Like most hunters, you want make sure that the rangefinder takes common batteries to operate...I try to settle in on AA or AAA and for the scopes use the CR2032 battery...the Lecia Rangefinder takes a special battery and it will take up to 1000 readings before you need to replace it....some of the rangefinders that I have in the pile take 9 Volt, the early ones did....

Just some thoughts......

I have only ever completely missed two deer in my life and both of these were hunting an open field on days where I forgot my range finder.    I have always been pretty good at judging distances but when you hunt in an area where there are no definitive landmarks, a rangefinder is invaluable. Even if you have trees, etc, to use a reference points a range finder will provide accurate yardages to those landmarks.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
2018 Season is about to start and have been shooting 6 arrows/bolt in my crossbow every other day for about 2 weeks now....was deadly from the first shot this year.....had to make minor adjustment to the Hawke scope....very minor, like 1 click down and 1 click to left....Am out to 40 yards with the crossbow, deadly accurate....

Also have been shooting my Compound bow with about 2 inch groups at 20 yards, 4 inch groups at 30 yards....it sure looks like I am more comfortable with the crossbow!!

Would like to hear from other crossbow hunters....how are yawl doing?? %^$^

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad