New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New Crossbow - Steyker Solutions LS  (Read 4243 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
New Crossbow - Steyker Solutions LS
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
After shooting my PSE TAC 15i a lot late, have decided to find a lighter and smaller bow. Don't get me wrong, the PSE TAC is an amazing crossbow and it will shoot out to 100 yards easily. Have had it for 6 years now. Wanted something I could use in small ground blinds and ladder stands.

I wanted something lighter and smaller and went to four local archery shops to see what they carried. Came home and did my research/homework and talking to my archery guru, narrow it down to the Barnett and the Styker. Wanting to keep my money locally and not going to a big box store, I ended up going with a Styker Solutions LS. It is fast but not as fast as the PSE TAC but plenty of speed. It is a standard crossbow package with 5 - 20" arrows, scope, cocking rope, etc. Purchased some Rage 2 blade broad heads, 125 gn. This is my first mechanical broad heads. For the PSE TAC, use 125 gn Muzzy fixed blades for it. Will try these Rage and see how I like them. Would like to hear from other TH members stories on the Rage. Do you like them or not? The scope on it is a Styker 3X x 32mm scope (Made by ??). Not sure if I will keep it on there. Have talked to Split Toe and Metalman about their Hawke scopes and they seemed good. One guy likes his Excalibur scope on his crossbow. But will keep this Styker 3X on it for the time being but keep my eye open for a good deal on Hawke. After getting the scope home and adjusted it to real conditions it was very clear. Not sure what each circle represents in yards, maybe I need to see if the owners manual has anything in it about the scope...daaaaa...if all else fails, read the manual!

Went ahead and order 6 new 20" arrow and 6 new 125 gn field tips and a new target also some limb and sting silencers. The old block I have has been shot up and the PSE TAC arrows go right through the block so it is time for a new one. Also two more tubes of sting wax and rail lube for the PSE and Styker. Will need to order a soft case for it, probably a newer smaller range finder. Will look in my inventory and see what other range finders I have laying around. I know of at least two others ones I have. I have a couple of bipods that I used on Safari and another three legged shooting sticks that I can take with me to help steady the either crossbow. See how that works out this summer. But since this is the first year of retirement, will definitely be down in GA hunting on opening day and may spend a few days down there just depends on how hot it gets and if it rains/storms....As Split Toe reminded me, it only 120 days till Georgia Archery season starts...it will be here before you know it!

I want to add, that I am currently doing my wife's honey do list. It is a work in progress that keeps going and going. Thought it would be easy during retirement and would like to work at the local Home Depot or Lowe's part time (Currently have HD stock and was in the IPO of HD, but had Lowe's for years, but none right now) for something nice and easy to do, but my phone keeps ringing with phone interview and job offers. Lots to think about....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: New Crossbow - Steyker Solutions LS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
sounds like a nice purchase. congrats

I think I'm hearing that you want to get a job instead of staying retired? I've known several people tell me the same thing.

you should do well w/ your HD stock. IMO, there seems to be a lot of building and home improvement activity, at least in the Midwest. you were smart to get in on the IPO. to bad all IPO's don't work out that well. that's what I do for a living, so I've seen way to many go the other way

good luck on your decision
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »
Congrats Bo - what kind of silencers did you decide to go with?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 07:39:03 PM »
Congrats Bo...you'll enjoy it for sure. I replaced my scope as I could never figure out the original scope. Really impressed with the Hawke 1.5 X 5 I put on mine. Happy Hunting....
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »
Hi Bo Nice purchase.. Don't answer the phone the Mrs will be upset if she looses her new helper to some JOB.   --099-780
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:06:11 PM »
I have the Stryker LS and shoot the 125 Muzzy Trocar broadheads along with the factory scope.I do have another scope I won
haven't used it yet. At 390 ft per sec that all I need and they will never jump string at that speed.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:20:17 PM »
King - Thanks for your post and info. Got in another 6 Arrows/Bolts in while at Summerblast over the weekend, Now I have a gran total of 15 Arrows/Bolts. The weight of the arrows range from 300.38 grains down to 293.24 grains. Plan on shooting 125 gn Broadheads in it. The 2 blade mechanical Rage weights an average of 122.837 grains and the 3 blade Muzzy averages at 126.323 grains.

Have also number my arrows to find out which one shots the most accurate. Won and extra scope, actually two of them, and see which one would be the best one for the crossbow. Still have my eye on a Hawke and a Zeiss....

Will let everyone know how it groups and will post some pictures of the targets on TH......

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
This is my other crossbow, see attached pictures. It is a PSE TAC15i shoots 26.25" long arrow at 410 fps! Got this bow about 5 years ago and never taken it to the woods. Has a 3-9X x 40mm with a 30mm tube...illuminated and calibrated crosshairs. Has a HHA trajectory system on it. Trigger is 4 lbs and will see if I can get a Timney drop in trigger for this or ?? I have used only 125 gn broad heads/field tips with this bow. Have practices with it a hundred times in my backyard but never had a chance until this year to go down for extensive time - Until this year....

When I ordered it I wanted one that would fit on lower AR15 frame, but the one that came in was the one with the AR15 built in!!! This bow is long and narrow, front end heavy. This bow is narrower than my Stryker but much longer...will take some more pictures and post them with the two side by side tomorrow....

The white PVC plastic cover shown over the whisper biscuit is for the protection of the biscuit from snags, twigs, branches....I know there is a replacement for this biscuit.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 04:15:36 AM »
Work in progress and I think it is going well. Learning about this crossbow. Like any rifle, you have to get use to is own nuances (its personality) will take time. Once you get one down another pops up....so this has been a learning experience with me. The PSE TAC has it own as well...had to learn those too...

After mounting the scope last week, have been out shooting it everyday. Started out shooting it just three times on the first day, then 4 times the second and now shooting it 7 to 8 times times. Yesterday shot it 9 times moving the target out from 25 yards to 30 yards. Had to tweak the scope, get use to cocking the crossbow, getting use to the trigger, etc. just normal adjustments to the bow and me!!! Next week, my goal is 40 yards. Then after that will have take my stuff to the rifle range and shoot out to 50 and even 60 yards.....

Should I get a pulley style crank rope for this crossbow. They make one that fits right into the butt stock of the bow? Borkholder Archery in Milford, IN makes one for the Stryker but don't the cost.

What is amazing is all the items that you need to bring with you..man it like going to the rifle range for me! LOL...but if you think about it, when I was just getting into archery a 20 to 25 yard shot was common and 30 yards was my max distance I would shoot at a deer...of course that was with no sights on the bow and you flung an arrow "instinctively". Over the year have things changed, wow. Today a 50 and 60 yard shot is possible amazing!

Yesterday afternoon took this picture...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 03:38:51 AM »
The day the picture (Wednesday) of the Stryker on the fieldpod was taken I was feeling OK my old self, but as the afternoon progressed my leg was acing real bad, almost could not walk. I was hobbling around like a dog!  I must have to admit that for the last few weeks have not been 100%. It has became obvious to my wife who is an RN...and she quickly came up with the diagnosis. See attached link..I have come down with piriformis-syndrome. So after dinner on 8-3-2016 It hurt so bad that I could not walk. Had this problem for a couple of weeks now and it wasn't getting any better.

The best half of this marriage got up and made the call. We went to see the PA at my doc office at 7:30 that night!! Sure enough, it turns out to be piriformis-syndrome! It fairly common and the PA herself had it a few years ago. Another guy in our hunt club wife also had it. Anyway, The PA gave me a butt shot and prescribe some a steroid pack and some muscle relaxers and since I metabolize slower than most folks (both physically and mentally) I was out yesterday morning try to shoot the Stryker crossbow and it was like the monkey and the football. The medicine was still in my system! LOL..I glad nobody was recording it would have made You Tube for sure....I only shot the crossbow 3 times yesterday and it took me 30 minutes just to shot those three !! I was still feeling the after effects of the muscle relaxer...LOL...   

Each time I get injured or sink, my wife put on her nurse's uniform (not really) but she did put on her thinking cap, believe me she is a lot smarter than this old guy is! But (excuse the pun) she has been right on the money 100% of the time on my health issues. So we know who the best half of this marriage. But now I thank my lucky stars that I have a her...

The fall is almost here and my schedule will be getting very busy. Am picking up my schedule visits to the range to twice a week! Got to get better. In about a week, we will know how this is going, either upstream or downstream! We got Archery season first in about 5 weeks, then muzzle loader, then rifle season starts..between now and then will be practicing in the back yard and heading to the range a lot...

Check out the link below, it is a good website for most of your spine issues.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-piriformis-syndrome
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
 ##$%#13   hope you feel better      @--0--0101     when you get older things happen
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 06:20:37 AM »
Dave - thanks for your well wishes...I am much better now after a visit to the PA and get some good advice, and a shot in the old rear end!!! LOL...will be out shooting the crossbow shortly and a new style level came in the male today and will be mounting it on the Styrker bow on the picatinny rail. Mounted it last night before have a date night with my lovely, beautiful and very smart wife. It was too close and could not see the level clearly, will try again to mount it farther out so my old eyeballs can focus on it before heading out to shoot it at 30 maybe 40 yards!!....LOL...

Yea you are right, when you get older things do happen....LOL...

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 06:16:55 AM »
sounds like a nice bow....I have been using the rage broadheads and the definately make a nasty cut.If I had any complaint it would be sometimes the little rings that keep them closed come off and they open up while sitting in the stand so you need to check them after loading up.I am still on the fence with mechanicals.
I have the rope cocking aid and a crank for my excaliber.Because of elbow issues I mostly use the crank and they are very easy to use but not cheap.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 05:11:06 AM »
Gander - Thanks for your post. The crank makes it a whole lot nicer. My other crossbow is a PSE TAC 15i series and it has a built in crank, I love that. I was thinking about getting a crank for my Styker. I still think it is in the prototype stages of development. It just may be like yours on the Excaliber?? There is a archery shop in Indiana that offers them. I have not seen one from Styker just yet, but you know behind close doors they are working on one, or even have one that will put on the market soon as a option....

I have two cocking ropes and have marked them using yellow tape for clarity last night. Just some short think yellow duct tape and marked the center of the rope (maybe a arrow knock on the rope would be better?) and marked which way the handles face. This is for me to help visualize which way and where the rope goes. I will try it today and see what changes I have to make, but anything is better than now..all black rope with no markings or orientation marks....

Attached are two pictures. This was yesterday around 1 PM, boy was it hot and humid....one was taken at 30 yards, and one at 40 yards. When I first started shooting the Styker after putting on the new Hawke scope, I would walk down to the target after each arrow, just to see if I needed to make any adjustments, which I did as usual. Yesterday, I decided to shoot 12 arrows, 4 groups of 3 arrows. This was my first time shooting 3 arrows/bolts on a target before walking down to see where the arrows would hit onto the target. The one at 30 yards is OK, but the one at 40 yards needs tweaking a bit. Down and over...Also last night reduce the speed of the bow on the Hawke Scope Ring down to 385. The will help the image size and reduce the distance in the scope aim points and will move the scope down two clicks down and two clicks left and go from there...but the groups are amazing, even I was impressed.

But is coming in slowly. After getting the Styker all zero in, will pull out the older PSE TAC15i and get re-acquainted with it. Purchased it back in 2011 but it has never been to the woods with me, only shooting it in the back yard. This is my fault!!! I will correct this problem....

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:13:13 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 05:17:02 AM »
Great groups Bo...she'd dialing in nicely...just a little tweaking and your set!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad