New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Today's hunt  (Read 1028 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Today's hunt
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
Well I Got to hunt this morning before work. Went back to the farm I hunted with my daughter youth day April 16- The big old gobbler we saw then was still on his hill this morning. I can't hunt the hill but I can hunt the power line that runs by it. So I get where I know I need to be early. He gobbles in the tree I tree yelp real soft to him and he answers.He gobbles 4 more times in 15 mins then flies down into the power line and is joined by another gobbler and a Jake. I am across the line slightly down hill- not the best but was as close as I could get. I call he answers. He and the boys stayed on the hill for the next hour gobbling every now and then and moving from the PL to the woods back and fourth. I keep at him cutting when he is at the wood line and purring and clucking he answers every now and then. At 7:30 he walks off so I just sat and waited. I call and there's a gobbler right across the PL in front of me. I yelp he gobbles cutting the distance. I wait nothing he doesn't come into the PL so I call he gobbles back where he was before he cut the distance. I cross the PL and get to the flat below him and call he gobbles maybe 80 yds out in front. So I hoof it up the hill to about 20 yds from the  top so if he looks over I can kill him- I'm thinking PA all over again. I call he answers I shut up. 10 mins I see him but it's not his head it's his fan just over the crest of the hill- no kill shot- I purr he gobbles. Then it was all quit. 10 mins I call he's headed out straight away giving me them come on gobbles. It's 7:30 I got til 9 to hunt so I take off trying to get to where I think he is headed. At 7:50 I am where I think he is- call he gobbles 150 yds PAST me!! LOL!! Too slow! So I was only 80 yds from the truck so I got in the truck and drove about 1/4 of a mile down the road to a small patch of public ground- No one was there jumped out and got moving down the trail for 60 yds I call he gobbles- 200 yds out I find a spot watching the trail call he's coming- I think it might just happen ;D Then I hear a car door slam at the parking area. Total shut down gobbler gone!! Pass a woman on the trail walking her dog. This was probably my last hunt we are getting heavy rain tomorrow and if it out by Sunday that's shot too and I can't hunt the last 3 days-

PS I know it was the same gobbler from the PL at the public ground because he could barely gobble he was cutting the end short. So anybody still able to hunt good luck and I had a blast today!!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
Re: Today's hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »
glad you got out    @--0--0109
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:25:23 PM »
Sounds like a fun hunt to me!!! Maybe next year!?
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »
Definitely do not have to harvest anything to have a successful hunt.  Glad you had fun.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »
Definitely a fun day in the turkey woods.  Maybe next time things will work out for you.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:15:06 PM »
Congrats Bluetoe that was an exciting hunt...great story!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Online Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:16:58 PM »
Nice hunt and story. Sorry it didn't work out better for you. I went out to where I hunt after work and set up a blind. It's supposed to rain almost all day tomorrow but I will be there, gun in one hand and a thermos full of coffee in the other staying warm. SUpposed ot be sunny and warmer on Sunday, at least out in the western end of the state.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »
great day of chasing. to bad you got cut off by a walker. get him next year I guess
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »
Bummer, but at least you had some action!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:38:26 PM »
Sometimes it's stupidly easy, but often it's just the opposite and makes you want to bang your head on a tree.  I guess that's why it's called turkey hunting and not turkey shooting.  Good luck if you can get out again.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 05:51:34 AM »
It sounds like you had more action just in this hunt than we had all year. You will get him next year. 

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:52:42 AM »
It sounds like you had more action just in this hunt than we had all year. You will get him next year.
I have been lucky I have been out 10 times between here and Pa including 2 days of youth hunts and have worked birds all but one day. Been a good season for action which makes for a good day in the woods.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad