New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Finally got my Power Plant in the ground...  (Read 881 times)

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Finally got my Power Plant in the ground...
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
I've had a very busy past month and a half. When turkey hunting just one time this year. Went on my annual fishing trip the first of April, then to the Walleye Blast on Lake Erie and then my wife an I drove out to Denver, Co for a week to help her brother move and picked up a gun safe and brought it back home as it was left in his new house and didn't want it. My wife left a few days ago headed to Amsterdam for a 12 day cruise  of Scandinavia and Russia departing Copenhagen. It's a good thing I'm retired as I stay so busy I don't have time to work anymore...

I planted a little over an acre of Power Plant on the back side of my property on the power line. The weather man is calling for rain the next two days so I'm hoping my timing is good.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Finally got my Power Plant in the ground...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
I know what you mean, i don't know how i had time for work after i retired!!

Hope you plot comes up good and you get a chance to rest soon!! ##$%#11
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »
good luck on the rain. I was planning on planting sunflowers this weekend, but it doesn't look like my tree tubes will arrive on time. it's too far to go for just one project.

let us know how it comes along
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:20:57 AM »
It's always a good feeling to get it planted just in time for a good soaker.  Hope it comes up nice.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 06:08:46 AM »
I had a bag of Whitetail Institute Power Plant ready to go in the ground this Spring also.
Son and his family gave me a bag of Lab Lab for Christmas, so wife tells me to plant that instead behind the house. 

I plant Whitetail Institute Power Plant every Spring so the gals can carry/have their healthy fawns and the boys can grown those nice horns.

Good Luck,
PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 06:47:06 AM »
Ya...Well we had a freeze the other night...so such thing go in in June here. This year I decided to try another summer mix. I am risking the buck coming in and staying but maybe it won't  be like with the soybeans.
 I will put in a mix of Lab/lab plus ....to this I am adding Sun Hemp, frost master winter peas,iron claypeas..,sunflowers. To hedge my bet I will lay down some red and white clover over the top...If the deer / birds hammer it before it gets a chance to establish well then I will at least have something growing.

The trail plot I planted  with the seed I found..well it took one week for the birds to eat most of the seed...Then I had a shimmer of hope..I went down and threw some red clover over it and noticed some of the buried seed sprouting through. Well it got 2 ins tall and 2 crow went there and methodically snipped off almost every single blade and left it sitting on top of the soil...just like they do with my corn plantings. That took them another week... :2)

Saturday 05/14
    57 | 35                         
    47 | 34
    Overcast
    Overcast
    20% / 0.01 in

Thunderstorm
    Thunderstorm
    80% / 0.37 in

Sunday 05/15
    47 | 34
    Overcast
    Overcast
    20% / 0.01 in
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:51:01 AM by growalot »

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 07:55:28 AM »
PJ - I planted Lab Lab one time and it really grows thick and viney.  Not as tall as Power Plant, but heavy and thick.  Best of luck.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »
PJ - I planted Lab Lab one time and it really grows thick and viney.  Not as tall as Power Plant, but heavy and thick.  Best of luck.

I over planted it in the Annual winter rye, red clover and rape.  Rye and clover have seeding heads now.

We shall see.
PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

New Page 3

Google Ad