New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: cabin weekend  (Read 619 times)

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
cabin weekend
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
 took off Thursday. I got the 125 seedlings planting that afternoon. I still have to tube the cherry and plum trees.

Friday I got 2 fields plowed and cut wood. I only got 1 tank of gas through the 'fixed' chainsaw and it wouldn't start again. I only needed 1 more tank to finish the pile. I wasn't happy

Saturday I decided to haul wood and let the last field dry out a bit. first trip my tractor was buried. not a good start to the day. go the Ram and a tow strap and popped it out. It was close to getting the Ram in the mud pit, but got lucky. my day was improving.I was very relieved to get the tractor out. that was my fault pushing the wet ground. I decided to maul split the wood I had cut from Friday and last year. 3 hours later and one well placed ricochet to the knee that put me down and I was done. met w/ the logger after lunch and got paid for the wood and settled the cabin/pond bill. I gave him $500 extra for the pond. he wanted $3400. cold weather permitting he'll be done next winter. finished the 3 field. the last field was soaked so no luck there.

there were plenty of deer coming for groceries. I have the only green fields around so are popular. all does except one buck fanw. last years fawns are being booted. I saw a couple trying to nurse again. the does are looking a little plump. I saw bear tracks of all sizes coming to eat greens to. they need to leave the fawns alone. ducks, geese and cranes are enjoying the pond 

all in all it was a productive trip. I hope to get the tree tubes ordered and get back up there in 2 weeks to put then up and plant sunflowers. I got a good jump on the season so far
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: cabin weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »
Sounds like you had a good trip all in all. It feels good to have things come togeather!! Takes a lot of work but is worth it all!!

That was a lot of tree's!! @--0--0123
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:00:12 AM »
Sounds like things are coming together nicely.  I can tell you have planned well.

So you paid $500 for the pond and he wanted $3400?  I even kicked my shoes off and that ain't adding up.  What am I missing?

I'm almost afraid to ask but what's the deal with the wolves?  Sounds like the deer are rebounding nicely and everything is in harmony.  Any sign of the evil critters?
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:10:47 AM »
Congrats Yari, sounds pretty good.  Ice that knee. ;D
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »
Wow, sounds like you were busy all weekend. 

Online yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
Sounds like things are coming together nicely.  I can tell you have planned well.

So you paid $500 for the pond and he wanted $3400?  I even kicked my shoes off and that ain't adding up.  What am I missing?

I'm almost afraid to ask but what's the deal with the wolves?  Sounds like the deer are rebounding nicely and everything is in harmony.  Any sign of the evil critters?

long story, but we agreed to 1K to knock down the old cabin and get the dirt to fill the hole from a low area next to the new cabin. that would form a nature pond. he didn't write this down and decide to make a full fledged pond. I wasn't about to pay for something we didn't agree to and I didn't ask for. I told him I'd give him $1500 total. that's 50% more than we agreed on, but I felt I needed to do something. I know he had a lot of work in it

the wolves come and go. we had a very easy winter this year for the deer. I hope it was hard on the wolves and some died off. I found 1 wolf kill on my place from last winter. it's buck only in my area, which really helps. bottom line is I'm pulling a lot of deer from surrounding areas because I have food and try to protect them. folks 2,3, 4... miles away aren't seeing nearly as many deer. I can only hope the wolves don't  concentrate on 'my deer' when I'm gone
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 06:02:31 PM »
They're critters of opportunity - you can bet that once they get hungry, they'll readily move to where the game is more abundant. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad