New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Just watch....  (Read 815 times)

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Just watch....
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:21:19 AM »
I won't get a bird this year...LOL  Today Mr B see's a strutter out in the field with what looked like 4 hens. He calls to me and says can you call them in I want to see how you do...I said 200yrds and 4 hens before you go to work..doubt it. He says "lets see if you can get his attention. I love hearing them gobble" OK
I let loose with a cackle and some yelps and my version of a Jake gobble from the kitchen door...That big old tom starts swirling around like a merry go round, then lets loose. Well that delighted Mr B and then the hens head our way. they were half way to us and walking toward the road. I said great now you'll go start the truck ,slam the doors and spook them.... Well if he did it was to behind the house a 100 yrds away....It was a long beard a Jake and 3 hens and they stayed out there for over an HOUR! before walking behind the house and right across the road to my plots and woods there. Well I couldn't figure out what they could be eating..so I went out to check...Well Well this warm weather got the grass hopper hatch 2wks early and for the first time ever in that section of the property...it's always been across the street and yep still is.
It's funny that Jake got bored and took off on his own back across the field..He'll be wondering around looking for love...@--0--0137
Oh well If I don't get one...I have had a fun time checking out my abilities ....youth season starts tomorrow here...I have no youth I know to help...Good Luck to them though...

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Just watch....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »
I always liked to get out and talk to the turkeys, but our season is so late in the spring I really don't want to educate them. We still have until the 30th before opening day. 8 more days and it's game on in PA except for the youth which starts tomorrow.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline growalot

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:14:15 AM »
I Have the opposite thought on that...Unlike many hunters and this being private land surrounded by many hunters. I do want them "educated". I do not call much during season and I have a great handle with the cams and daily walks as to where they are during most of the day...They tend to get into a pattern especially when hens are on nests... The biggest challenge is which food source is preferred any morning...I now know where the hopper hatches are, which wild flowers they are picking blossoms from and which WR and clover plots they find tender enough or bugs in...why I'm going through batteries.
So come opening morning I'll do a few dark tree clucks and purrs, flap my turkey wing against my leg and have my Bobbin head hen and feeder hen out in plain sight...then I will stay quiet. I will allow all the eager beavers around me light up the woods with all those very unusual turkey calls and let the birds funnel into the quiet zone...because hens here...are rarely vocal and usually avoid all the unrecognized early morning talk. I rarely have to hunt past 6:30 a.m.
I will also be one of the few that use my deer season scent control. The deer and turkey here move together and there is no faster way to end a hunt than to be picked up and snorted at by a deer. @--0--0137
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:33:36 AM by growalot »

Offline Gutshot

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »
You have a very unique situation there growalot, and I'm jealous, down here in the northcentral mountains of PA it's all public land as far as you can see or walk in a day. The birds move to food daily and with a few exceptions almost never roost in the same location each night. On the bright side the turkey population is pretty good and our first task before daylight is to locate birds and then decide witch ones to go after. Good luck to you
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Offline growalot

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 04:59:16 PM »
Thanks...As I write there is a hen and long beard 200 ft from the dog kennel scratching an  area never used before...all grass hoppers are just a 1/2  inch long right now and move like a sheet across the woodland floor...also a bit of rain has made new wild plants pop....took away all the noise so the dogs aren't barking either.
The Tom just left the hen and went out into the barren corn field. I hear other birds close but can't pick up their location. Heard 2 different Tom's sound off on my walk today so had to shorten the route I take...I love this time of year!!!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 05:15:13 PM »
I can't believe you have grasshoppers already. we have mosquitos. either way, too early
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline growalot

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »
I got some pics..but site hasn't allowed me to post pics for a while..keeps saying files too big...Eve. with way small resize...I'll try later.

Offline growalot

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 08:41:13 AM »
Lets see if these load... my cam doesn't like fog so not the best....hope he makes it through the week end but he's been gobbling his head off and I just heard 2 shots... :-\

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:43:10 AM by growalot »

Offline Gutshot

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 09:11:15 AM »
Wow, I hope you get a crack at that nice bird. Glad you got the resizing thing fixed, nice pictures
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Offline growalot

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »
Thanks...To my absolute delight I pulled cards on two other cams...yes I have them everywhere...Why not I get between 4 & 6 hundred in Gander points every year...they are basically free...anyways...They are pretty exciting for me...with one problem...afternoon and the season ends at noon...Though I did hear them Gobble on my walk yesterday A.M. and two cams were down due to my error... I will get them uploaded to you tube sometime today.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:41:28 AM by growalot »

New Page 3

Google Ad