New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: AZ bow tag  (Read 667 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
AZ bow tag
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »
NOT!!!! after nine years, I still didn't draw. to add salt to the wound, the outfitter told me he had 2 guys drew last year w/ 6 points and the same 2 drew again this year. these 2 guys need to buy lottery tickets. the zone I'm after has a less than 1% draw rate w/ 6 points. I can't even do the math on drawing w/ 1 point.

I'm not at all lucky on draws. I very seldom win even at DU events.

FYI- AZ has a bonus draw system not a preference point system. in a preference point system, they fill the higher points first. in a bonus, you get one chance for each point. I would do much better in a preference point system. that's how WI does it.

I'm still waiting to hear on a SD deer tag. the guys I'm in w/ are much luckier than me. I hope it rubs off.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: AZ bow tag
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »
Welcme to the club Yari!!!! @--0--0117 @--0--0117
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:29:03 PM »
I heard today that we didn't get a landowner tag in SD. we have 1 more chance for a general tag now. is it possible to go 0 for 3 in 2016? if it is, i'll do it. someone wants me to stay in WI again this year I guess
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:50:40 PM »
Dang that's a bummer Yari. 

I have some old friends with a cabin near Eager/Springerville.  Its been about 20 years since I've been.  But I remember Elk being every where in that area.  I always wanted to hunt that area but after looking into the draw system and what it entailed I didn't want to go through all that.  The thought of hunting land locked areas and having to run down land owners to get permission to cross their land, and NO ATV's!, is a joke to me. No thanks.

Maybe you should try New Mexico.  There are some huge elk and they are plentiful there too.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
Dang that's a bummer Yari. 

I have some old friends with a cabin near Eager/Springerville.  Its been about 20 years since I've been.  But I remember Elk being every where in that area.  I always wanted to hunt that area but after looking into the draw system and what it entailed I didn't want to go through all that.  The thought of hunting land locked areas and having to run down land owners to get permission to cross their land, and NO ATV's!, is a joke to me. No thanks.

Maybe you should try New Mexico.  There are some huge elk and they are plentiful there too.

this is my last AZ effort. I figured folks would bail out when the application fee went to $160/ yr. apparently, folks don't mind wasting money and not getting any benefit. it drives me nuts. I didn't figure it would take this long. NM is on my list next
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »
Wow...nine years. Yeah it's time for a change!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »
Idaho also has some huge elk. I'm not sure what their non-resident laws are but you might check it out.  I have a close friend who's brother hunts public land there the hard way.  But he kills big trophy bull elk most years.  My buddy went with him one year and it was almost too much for him physically but he killed a giant.  He hadn't been back because it was such a demanding hunt. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 05:40:09 AM »
We have a preference point system here in MI for bear and elk.

Where I hunt you can draw a bear tag every 5-6 years if you apply every year.  Sometimes sooner if you are lucky.

For elk you are still lucky to get one in your lifetime as so many apply for a pretty small pool of tags.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 09:49:57 AM »
Idaho also has some huge elk. I'm not sure what their non-resident laws are but you might check it out.  I have a close friend who's brother hunts public land there the hard way.  But he kills big trophy bull elk most years.  My buddy went with him one year and it was almost too much for him physically but he killed a giant.  He hadn't been back because it was such a demanding hunt.

I've done ID before. a lot of areas are wolf infested right now and not many outfitters are still in business. it is rugged and thick cover. the fires a few years back release very thick undergrowth.

my sister hit a bull w/ her car last year. her load of a husband never even looked for the bull. what a waste

there are some nice bulls there, but nothing like AZ if you look at the B&C records.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad