New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Mineral Plot  (Read 601 times)

Offline hoytman62

• Spike
Mineral Plot
« on: April 09, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
I have been hearing and reading about mineral plots.  What are you take on them?  Any experience using them?  Construction?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Mineral Plot
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
I've heard of mineral sites,and licks but never plots ...though I know of micro nutrient use in both farming and plots.

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:50:14 PM »
I always put out a mineral block (primarily salt) and it does well.  I once switched to 30-06 plus from WTI and the lick went cold immediately.  It could have been a fluke, but I reverted back to the mineral block from Tractor Supply.

Offline popgunwill

• Spike
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »
The goal is to feed as much mineral and vitamins to the deer as possible. When you switch from a high salt mineral to a low salt mineral like 30-06 (and I've done it) you need to add a little salt until the deer get accustomed to the new taste. Should not take long. I had mine switched over in about 6 weeks. My 30-06 licks are down now and the deer have started using them. The last two years after the change the deer have destroyed the 3006 licks and we killed a couple deer this year with mass we haven't seen in the past. Don't know if it was the 30-06 but that's the only thing we've changed.

POP

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 03:28:49 AM »
Well being in a state where any supplemental feeding of game ,other than planting fields/trees,is illegal fertilizing is a must. Adding micro/micronutrients to your basic NPK so they receive them through eating the crop is the only option. You can find them on line.

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:36:21 AM »
Popgun - Do you have hogs in NE KY yet? 

Offline popgunwill

• Spike
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
None where we hunt but I hear they are getting closer.

POP

Offline King Ben

• 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 06:39:38 AM »
Pop - You will have them soon...ugh.  They love to wallow in mineral/salt lick sites.  They completely ruin it for the deer.

Offline popgunwill

• Spike
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
Hopefully they will stay away for awhile. I understand there isn't much you can do about them. Probably be eating more pork.

POP

New Page 3

Google Ad