New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Bow Strings?  (Read 810 times)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
Bow Strings?
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
How often do you change out your bow string? Cables? Do you wait for them to show wear or after a certain amount of time?
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
Re: Bow Strings?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 02:57:38 PM »
HM I shoot a lot in getting ready for hunting season.  My bow strings & cables usually last 3 maybe four years.  I always buy quality strings.  I bought Vapor Trail bow strings last time.  I have been very happy with this string.  Its a good quality product.   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 04:59:55 PM »
I wait until is see wear. I do take good care of my string w/ wax at least 3-4 times per year. it really seem to help. it's over $100 for a new string, so better to care than replace
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 05:45:11 PM »
For me it was 4 years, started to show a little wear, even with good maintenance. I replaced string and cables last year just before summerblast so I should be good for a couple years unless something unforeseen happens.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 05:49:17 PM »
I replace them when I start to see wear.

If its just serving wear i will reserve it, if I have broken strands or wear at the ends I will change it.

I will tend to be more proactive as bow season gets closer, I would prefer to not have to change during fhe season if possible.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 08:20:33 AM »
I used to replace them once a year but that was when I would shoot every day. Since my neck surgeries I do not do a lot of shooting so I am watching for wear.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:54:39 AM »
I also just keep an eye on them. I seem not to have the same bow for four years as I just have to have the new "updated" bow by then. Just FYI, spending the money on the newest bow every couple years or so has not really helped me either. LOL

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »
Several years ago my compound blew up in my face due to a string letting go! When I took it for repair my bow shop determined that the bow string had severed under the serving near the cam. One limb blew up and a metal piece of the bow nearly missed my eye and cut my face. I guess my message is change your bow string every 2-3 years depending on how much you shoot whether you see wear or not. Mathews replaced all the parts at no cost as they have a life time warranty but they have no control over the bow string.  Just saying!
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »
fox- years ago I had the same thing happen. the string tattooed me from my belly up to my chin. that stung like the dickens
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 08:38:02 PM »
Back when I shot a two-cam bow (and I shot a lot more) I would generally change the string each year, don't recall ever going more than 2 years.  With that bow I had a devil of a time keeping it in tune, and as the string would degrade timing would start shifting on me.  Went to a single cam bow and have gotten pretty lazy (probably too much so) about changing it out, as the timing headaches are gone.  Have replaced it a couple of times due to concerns with visible wear.  Probably have 5 years on the current string.  Really should take it in & get it replaced - thanks for the nudge.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad