New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: oryx  (Read 337 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
oryx
« on: February 05, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
has anyone done an oryx hunt? they are from Africa and look like a sable. a client just got back from NM. he said there are plenty down there. 3-5 year draw for management hunts and almost 100% success. kind of a cool looking animal. sounds like some long-range shooting. 400-500 yards is common

anyone know anyone or done this hunt? how was the meat?

another thing that caught my attention was a January warm weather hunt. nothing wrong w/ that after 3 months of cold weather hunting
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: oryx
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:00:55 PM »
I saw this and sent a text to a friend of mine in Elkins NM. I asked him about the meat and size here's his reply:

"IMO, it is the best of the readily available game species. Here in New Mexico, when someone you know gets an oryx tag, they have a lot of volunteers who want to go along and help in order to be rewarded with some of the meat. Finer in texture than Whitetail or Axis deer. Taste is milder than Elk. Best grilled to medium rare to just core warmed.

Depending on where you hit it and what you shoot it with, you should end up with between 60 and 100 lbs of boned out meat. However, I know a couple of hard core cutters who claim that they can get up to 120 lbs from a mature bull. These are the guys that hang around the check stations and "help out" those out of state hunters who want to fly home with just the horns and the cape.

The top of the range for nose to base of the tail is about 6.5 ft (stretched out flat in a straight line). Although weights for bulls (the southern oryx, which is the one we have in New Mexico) are commonly listed as 395-495 lbs, it is very unusual to find one here that weighs in excess of 400 lbs live weight. Perhaps those that live in zoos here in the U.S. could make the upper limit, but the ones that live on White Sands or the Jornada del Muerto do not, in my experience."

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »
great info dutch. I figured there would be more meat. but then again I was told they were 400 lbs. could be a fun winter get away
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:07:19 AM »
Dutch and Yari - Great info Dutch thanks a bunch....Got most of what I was going after on my two Safaris, but the Oryx was the one I did not get a chance to take....I have been studying the Oryx in New Mexico for years and years....cannot get any outfitter to return my call(s). That Oryx is the most beautiful game animal in the world if you ask me....but the out of state license fee is staggering...what about $1700...just for the tag...ouch....

The Oryx is on my bucket list and should be able to bag one before hanging up my hunting hat!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
57+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

New Page 3

Google Ad