New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Predator Control  (Read 1848 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Predator Control
« on: January 29, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
How many of ya'll practice this?  I'm not talking about the "pop a yote" when it comes through deer hunting. I'm talking about get out there and trap or call predators in after season has went out.  I bit the bullet a couple years ago and bought a FoxPro and have started doing it. I've thoroughly enjoyed getting out there and calling in coyotes and bobcats the last couple years and it has helped tremendously just in two years from what I can tell. Our place used to be overrun with coyotes and cats and since we have started hunting them we have seen a dramatic drop in any sign of them. You used to could walk our field roads and coyote tracks would rival the deer tracks there was so many. Just yesterday I seen a fresh set of tracks coming through and I've got a date with it soon!
How many practice proper predator control?
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

TalkHunting Community

Predator Control
« on: January 29, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
Re: Predator Control
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 09:08:29 AM »
I'm not sure we call it predator control but here in Western, NY we hunt coyotes right after deer season with hounds. To us, it is all about the dogs and the chase but we still cull a bunch out which eliminates deer kill for sure. Our coyotes have surely reduced the fox population as well and we rarely take a fox anymore. Glad you are making a difference in trying to control the coyote population but according to our DEC biologist, you would have to eliminate about 80% of them to cause a serious reduction in what they kill and eat.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »
Z if you were chasing me with a loaded gun I would run too!

I've been predator hunting all my adult life.  I love it.  I also bought a fox pro a year or so ago.  I also bought the jack attack decoy and it works!    I usually do most of my predator hunting in February and March after deer and duck season.  Plus it's breeding season for them which adds to the fun.   

Last year I was sitting in my pop up deer blind yote hunting.  I had the fox pro going and a quiver rabbit decoy going (not the jack attack I had to buy after this happened).  From behind me on a dead sprint a yote comes flying in and scooped up my decoy on the run.  It happened so fast I didn't have time to even shoulder my gun much less get a shot.   It was like 3 secs and my decoy was gone!   Lesson learned.  Always carry a shotgun for the close range shots and have it ready when the call turns on.   It has been my experience when calling it usually happens quick.  I rarely have ever called one in after 10 min of calling. 

Z what fox pro sounds have worked well for you?  My favorite is the woodpecker then the rabbit in distress calls.  During breeding season you can use the various howls  to locate them.  Works great. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »

I've been predator hunting all my adult life.  I love it.  I also bought a fox pro a year or so ago.  I also bought the jack attack decoy and it works!    I usually do most of my predator hunting in February and March after deer and duck season.  Plus it's breeding season for them which adds to the fun.   

Last year I was sitting in my pop up deer blind yote hunting.  I had the fox pro going and a quiver rabbit decoy going (not the jack attack I had to buy after this happened).  From behind me on a dead sprint a yote comes flying in and scooped up my decoy on the run.  It happened so fast I didn't have time to even shoulder my gun much less get a shot.   It was like 3 secs and my decoy was gone!   Lesson learned.  Always carry a shotgun for the close range shots and have it ready when the call turns on.   It has been my experience when calling it usually happens quick.  I rarely have ever called one in after 10 min of calling. 

Z what fox pro sounds have worked well for you?  My favorite is the woodpecker then the rabbit in distress calls.  During breeding season you can use the various howls  to locate them.  Works great.

I start out with the cottontail in distress. I usually do a 30 second on 2 minutes off routine for the first little bit. That has been the best for me. I'll use the locators to find where they are at if I'm going to hunt at night but usually don't mess much with it until summer time. Late September a pup scream has been unbelievable for me. For cats I've had better success using the ranting redbird and vole squeaks. You're right about coming in a million miles an hour. I killed two last year that came running in like someone had shot at them the other direction. I shot the first one (with shotgun) at 10 yards, the other made it to about 200 yards before he died. The first day we used a call (keep in mind these things had never been called to) we killed like 7 yotes the first morning. They were just falling over themselves trying to get to the call. I've got a black one down here I've had on trail cam this year that I'm going to try to kill. I'm talking jet black too, not any other color on him.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »

I start out with the cottontail in distress. I usually do a 30 second on 2 minutes off routine for the first little bit. That has been the best for me. I'll use the locators to find where they are at if I'm going to hunt at night but usually don't mess much with it until summer time. Late September a pup scream has been unbelievable for me. For cats I've had better success using the ranting redbird and vole squeaks. You're right about coming in a million miles an hour. I killed two last year that came running in like someone had shot at them the other direction. I shot the first one (with shotgun) at 10 yards, the other made it to about 200 yards before he died. The first day we used a call (keep in mind these things had never been called to) we killed like 7 yotes the first morning. They were just falling over themselves trying to get to the call. I've got a black one down here I've had on trail cam this year that I'm going to try to kill. I'm talking jet black too, not any other color on him.

Oooh good luck with that black one!  I see a full body mount on the way! @--0--0118
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »
I have been practicing tote management year-round for the past 30 years.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »
Note to self, if I ever get around to using a decoy rabbit for coyotes, I will anchor it one way or another.  lol
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »
it's weird for my. I have a fox pro I've used at the cabin. I wonder if it draws the maggots to my area and scares the deer away. i'm not in 100% yet. I probably should be. i'm a pop and shovel guy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 07:41:58 AM »
I shoot em every chance I get, on the deer stand or around the house.  Haven't gotten one yet this year, but have only gotten out with the calls one time since bow season ended.  May give it a go this evening, but wind will be problematic today.  Keep shooting, send us a pic of the black one napping!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
Love predator hunting!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
I read a very interesting article a few years back...

The articles showed a study where areas of heavy predator hunting resulted in lower populations of turkeys. Their reasoning was this. While coyotes and bobcats do catch the occasional turkey or poult, the vast majority of turkey kills comes from raccoons and possums finding and eating thurkey eggs. A good population of predators keeps the raccoons and possums in check. I don't know how true this is but it is something to think about.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
The more the better. Kill coyote to help deer, turkey, rabbit, upland game. Trap raccoon, opossum and skunk to help out the turkey.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »
The more the better. Kill coyote to help deer, turkey, rabbit, upland game. Trap raccoon, opossum and skunk to help out the turkey.

I like the way you think..   @--0--0120
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »

I like the way you think..   @--0--0120

I like that too!!! Kill Everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We don't have a population of turkeys at my farm at the present time HM, but maybe one day NWTF and the Alabama Conservation Depart. will get off their dead you know what's and help out.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad