New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Getting a German Shorthair Puppy  (Read 1580 times)

Online metalman

• 8 Point
Re: Getting a German Shorthair Puppy
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »
GSP can do all this they are a hipper breed and require a lot of running. Gunner is a very smart dog and learns quickly, I sent him to obedience training for a month and he came back awesome. Beat family pet I have had since I was a kid. He does shed but it's fine short hair so it's not as notice lie as my daughters German Shepard Lab mix now that is a shedding dog.
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »
russ- shorthairs are great dogs. they do need to be reeled in though. they are a hyper bunch.

they also are subject to heart worm. we lost a couple before we knew what it was. a quick pill takes care of that.

they are always ready to go. great pointers. good retrievers. great noses. if you are going to be in water, you need to start them early. we only had one that liked water. that was our fault 

we have a golden retriever now. the difference is night and day. shorthairs have a lot of energy. i was surprised metalman's stayed around in the video. ours loved to roam

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
Russcat, A GSP is a good choice.  The other breed I've been thinking about is a Vizla.  I had never heard of them before, but a bunch of years ago I went out to Kansas pheasant hunting with an old friend, and another guy was there with his Vizla pup - maybe 8 months old at most, and his first hunt.  That little guy was great, full of enthusiasm but did a pretty good job.  He pointed a couple for us and attempted to retrieve, but a crippled rooster gave him a good challenge until one of us got to him & put a little twist on his neck.  If they're all like that little guy was, I'd gladly take one.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »

Russcat, A GSP is a good choice.  The other breed I've been thinking about is a Vizla.  I had never heard of them before, but a bunch of years ago I went out to Kansas pheasant hunting with an old friend, and another guy was there with his Vizla pup - maybe 8 months old at most, and his first hunt.  That little guy was great, full of enthusiasm but did a pretty good job.  He pointed a couple for us and attempted to retrieve, but a crippled rooster gave him a good challenge until one of us got to him & put a little twist on his neck.  If they're all like that little guy was, I'd gladly take one.
My childhood best friends family raised vizlas!  Yes they are great dogs.  And they do it all too. Thanks for the reminder of this breed.

If they are roamers that may be a problem. I live very close to a crazy busy highway.  That won't work.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Online metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 07:04:57 AM »
Russcat it all in the training and how much love they get. Gunner thinks he's a lap dog and is very attached to my wife and I he pouts and mopes when we not there or another dog is around. He loves to walk beside us and will sit or heel when ever we tell him now that we spent the time in training. He the best behaved dog I have had. Now when he was young a toy or dish towel didn't stand a chance. Oh and he hates beds he destroys everyone he has had.
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline yari

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
russ- metal is exactly right. when i was a kid, my dad didn't spend any time training. he just expected the dogs to know what to do and if they didn't, he'd beat the heck out of them. it was terrible.

when i said 'roamer', a lot of the problem was training. they have great noses. if ours caught a scent, they were gone.

i didn't want to sway you away from GSP. if i still bird hunted, it would be my #1 choice. i just couldn't keep a bird hunter at home when i bow hunted. but i would have trained mine very well
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 08:33:10 AM »

Russcat it all in the training and how much love they get. Gunner thinks he's a lap dog and is very attached to my wife and I he pouts and mopes when we not there or another dog is around. He loves to walk beside us and will sit or heel when ever we tell him now that we spent the time in training. He the best behaved dog I have had. Now when he was young a toy or dish towel didn't stand a chance. Oh and he hates beds he destroys everyone he has had.
What is it with beds?  My lab had done the same thing.  I hate seeing them sleep on concrete. But my labs have always shredded their beds too. Every bed.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »

russ- metal is exactly right. when i was a kid, my dad didn't spend any time training. he just expected the dogs to know what to do and if they didn't, he'd beat the heck out of them. it was terrible.

when i said 'roamer', a lot of the problem was training. they have great noses. if ours caught a scent, they were gone.

i didn't want to sway you away from GSP. if i still bird hunted, it would be my #1 choice. i just couldn't keep a bird hunter at home when i bow hunted. but i would have trained mine very well

I believe in the training too.  Spend the time and if needed the expense up front to get the full long term benefits of the dog.  Those who don't train are missing out.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Online metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
Russcat make sure and not spoil your GSP just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline yari

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2017, 11:50:35 AM »
metal- that looks like the last GSP my folks had. i lived there while i was building my house and TROUBLE was just a pup. every night she went to sleep on my lap. even when she grew up, every time i would visit and sit on the floor she would climb on my lap to the day she passed away. she was a lover. the sad thing was she never got to hunt. it was a waste of a great dog IMO, but i still enjoyed every minute w/ her. she was the only dog the folks ever let in the house. spoiled rotten
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 08:17:48 PM »

Russcat make sure and not spoil your GSP just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uh huh. I see that isn't taking place around your house
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 05:17:49 AM »
Metalman - Who has been training who....LOL...great pictures of Gunner!!!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
57+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 06:30:22 PM »
Everybody needs a lapwarmer now and then.  I chose poorly though in the past and had a couple of Newfoundlands - if they crawled in your lap you couldn't feel your toes after a couple of minutes.  Was best to keep those guys on the floor if possible.  Good looking pup Metalman!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 06:40:21 AM »
I don't know how this post got by me... I'm the victim of owning a GSP. By far, head and shoulders, above any "hunting" dog I've owned. Probably the best family pet we've had and I've churned through a bunch of them. I've had weimeraners, labs, labs, labs, labs, labs, shitzus (not mine, the wife), beagles, fiests, and more labs. The lab is hard to beat, but the drive and determination out of "Murphy" and then the loving afterwards is by far the greatest I've seen. I train myself, and this is probably the smartest dog I've ever owned. I was such a sucker for it, we decided he needed a buddy and got "Miller" about a month ago.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline yari

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »
you will have fun for years to come w/ that duo. they are tough to beat
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA