New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Fruit Trees  (Read 4199 times)

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
Re: Fruit Trees
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
I have planted several varieties of apples with staggering ripening dates...Can't recall which ones but they are the ones for my area.I have a Bare root farm which I deal with and they are very helpful.Bare root trees are dormant when I pick them out of their stock and they keep them in cold storage until planting time. The trees are already established and give you a head start.Mine are still fenced in and have been so for five years.I have several existing trees that they hammer when the apples fall....Hoping to unfence my trees this spring .
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Online BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 07:40:28 AM »
If you and Split Remember, we did purchase a lot of smaller saplings for the other land and only one or two survived down there. If we try this again, I would suggest more mature trees and plant them in the areas near creeks where the loggers won't cut them or maybe in the area where they have already logged?? Just a suggestion.....I will be glad to throw in some money to help out, but you guys are right, we need to plant some fruit trees down there, sooner rather than later, us senior hunters are getting old....LOL...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Capitolken

• 4 Point
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 06:14:10 AM »
As you discuss fruit trees - Native Nurseries has a deal going on - 8 trees for 44.00 shipping included. http://www.nativnurseries.com/p-228-fruit-tree-february-package.aspx When I called I was able to substitute 4 apples for the pears as the pears won't do well this far north - I could also schedule delivery for the second week of April for spring planting. In my discussion with them, I was told these would be 24-36" tall and 1/2" diameter trees.
NRA Endowment Life member
NAHC Life Member
Pro Staff: Mossy Oak, Browning, Remington, Mossberg, H&R
Active Member NEOWA
NH Lifetime Hunting & Fishing License
NH State Rep 2011-2013
July '15 Prize Winner

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:10 PM »
As you discuss fruit trees - Native Nurseries has a deal going on - 8 trees for 44.00 shipping included. http://www.nativnurseries.com/p-228-fruit-tree-february-package.aspx When I called I was able to substitute 4 apples for the pears as the pears won't do well this far north - I could also schedule delivery for the second week of April for spring planting. In my discussion with them, I was told these would be 24-36" tall and 1/2" diameter trees.

that is a great deal. I've read on multiple occasions to only buy trees that were 'rooted' w/I 100 miles of where you will plant them. make sure to keep this in mind. I think this was a problem w/ some very expensive/ late drop apple trees I bought from MI. not a single one survived the winter. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 11:25:02 AM »
Don't forget StarkBros   They have a decent catalog for reference and sell bare root as well.

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »
I have planted fruit trees for the last four years...this last year the pear trees produced and the deer loved them...I have planted blueberry, apples, peach,  pears, persimmon & plum.  The apple and pear have started bearing fruit the deer girdled the peach tree, ants killed one apple one of the plum died.  Cap I just ordered the special from Nativ Nurcery and they came in today.  I will be planting them Saturday.  This time I got 4 crabapple and 4 pear and also got two pawpaw.  I also planted some chestnut in pots two years ago and they are now about 6' tall.  I am cutting junk trees that border my greenfields and replacing them with fruit and oaks...I'm hoping for many years of hunting around them.    Arkansas Black apple trees are one of the latest producing apple trees that I have read about.
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 11:30:08 AM »
Just a reminder to fence your young fruit trees as well as wrapping the lower trunk to prevent rabbits and rodents from doing damage.One trees are established the deer will leave them alone altho they might browse the buds.

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 03:19:39 PM »
The more options of food you have the better your property will be.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 06:59:05 PM »
One of my peach trees has been rubbed pretty good.  Is there any way to help it heal?
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »
Heflinsi,  I've used the pruning spray (black tarry stuff) a few times to help protect the trunk after they've been gouged up by deer or mower decks.  Generally worked for me, provided the bark didn't get girdled all the way around the trunk.  One thing I learned about fruit trees - even if the top dies or breaks off, often you'll get shoots coming up from the base which you think will re-grow into another nice tree, but apparently most fruit trees you buy these days are grafted, so if that shoot comes from the root stock rather than above the graft, you generally don't get a productive tree (or at least not the variety you thought you planted.)
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 08:25:34 AM »
One of my peach trees has been rubbed pretty good.  Is there any way to help it heal?

Ribbed black drainage pipe sawed into the height you need. Can't go wrong with it! To get it around the tree trunk just saw the pipe down each side and place around the tree. Drill holes down each piece's side and tie with any kinda rope, twine, etc. I don't use wire because it'll grow into the tree. Twine won't. As the tree grows it will push the plastic out away from it too. Problem solved.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »
I use wire fencing material, about 5' high and make a circle with it, about 24" in diameter.  Fasten together with wire ties, and stake down around the tree.  I also use plastic lawn edging around the base and landscaping fabric, to prevent the weeds from coming in, and mulch heavily.  Eventually, the mulch will break down and weeds will come in, but that will be quite a bit of time down the road.  The high fence mat'l not only keeps the bucks from rubbing, it will also keep the deer from nibbling the leaves.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
I actually had a 4 foot high fence around it but some how it got torn down and then the tree got rubbed.  I put the cage back with steel t posts this time.  I just didn't know if I could save the tree...it's a peach tree so I'm not real worried anyway
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 07:19:07 AM »
I have been planting fruit trees for years ,but better yet I have been cultivating our wild fruit. Which We are blessed with a large variety. My Main food plot is now a tree plot as well This I just started. . I have planted apples,mulberry, wild plum ,cherry,hazel nuts,Chinese and Dunstun chestnuts,blue berries, Quince,Bush cherries,Persimmons,pear, peaches and grapes. This year I am adding goji berry bushes and Darrow black berries...Ohh Aronia bushes. I plant not just for deer but for the game birds and rabbits as well.
The Dunstun chestnuts are important and grow well here(so far)  They produce fast and yearly...I just started with them ,but they had a few burrs last year all ready! I have 200 red oak ...no wht. and the hazel nuts and our many many beech are the only consistent yearly nut producer I have right now....The Mulberries produce all summer and draw in everything and produce massive amounts of berries...The newer grapes I have planted along a property fence...It blocks prying eyes and draws the animals in the fall. Apples/Peaches I choose semi dwarf...for faster production and always late varieties.I like golden delicious, for a study done showed a actual color preference with deer to yellow /green apples.

Never over look your wild stuff...I have dozens of wild apples and have stands near my best...some have started producing at 3yrs and some produce very heavy every year. So keep records on that. They trans plant well when young saplings appear. Now one of my best areas is loaded with wild elderberry....wild strawberry is important for deer in the spring and turkey...Gooseberrys and currents...all the blk and red raspberries..Even the dreaded dogwood brush I make sure all trail plots are lined in them and they are a major bedding spot. Mayapples, areas of mayapples are left undisturbed..they like shade as  do the black Cohlish
Pic shows part of plot all trees tubed and or fenced and I always keep a watering tub or two near or in my plots. These are apples, 6 Chestnuts and a couple of peach. The fence line(out of sight) has grapes and I will plant the Goji bushes along that as well...There are also a couple of wild apples near pines and the whole thing is lined with several red oak.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:26:25 PM by growalot »

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
Mulberry trees are good for deer and turkey and persimmon trees are too.Just try to get self pollinating or plant two varieties if recommended.

New Page 3

Google Ad