New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Yamaha Kodiak 700 ATV?  (Read 2337 times)

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Yamaha Kodiak 700 ATV?
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:52:41 AM »
Anyone have or have experience with this model? 

I've had good luck with Yamaha snowmobiles but never tried their ATVs. I keep seeing this model on sale locally
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Yamaha Kodiak 700 ATV?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
I have a Yamaha 550 Grizzly and one of the guys in our club has a 700 Grizzly. Yamaha makes an excellent ATV. I've have a Yamaha 2800 watt Inverter and Yamaha 115HP four stroke outboard and have been very happy with all my Yamaha products. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of their products. IMO
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:49:39 AM by Split toe »
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »
Yamaha and Honda both make excellent products They strive on research and development of the products.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:10:03 PM »
are you sure it's not a grizzly 700? that's what I use. works great. the only issue I had was it was overheating when I tried to pull a disc. it just doesn't have enough critical mass to pull a plot mule. it would probably work OK w/ a smaller disc. anything bigger needs a tractor

works great for plowing snow. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »
are you sure it's not a grizzly 700? that's what I use. works great. the only issue I had was it was overheating when I tried to pull a disc. it just doesn't have enough critical mass to pull a plot mule. it would probably work OK w/ a smaller disc. anything bigger needs a tractor

Yamaha still makes the Grizzly 700 but for 2016 they offer the Kodiak 700...not sure what the difference is.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:56:09 PM »
Generally like Yamaha products, but father in law had a Grizzly that was just a consistent pain in the keester.  Cold natured, hard to shift, tough steering, etc. (I think it was a '98 model, so not relevant to a current machine in all likelihood)  He bought it used, so it's entirely possible that thing was rode hard & put away wet.  My Hondas, Arctic Cats, and the one Suzuki I had were all great machines though.  Generally speaking I don't think you'll have too much trouble with any of those brands or a Yamaha.  Climb on them & see which ones feel best to you - they will each have a different personality.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »

Yamaha still makes the Grizzly 700 but for 2016 they offer the Kodiak 700...not sure what the difference is.

didn't know that. I guess i'm out of touch. must be a different accessory package.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 07:33:36 AM »
My current ATV is a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350, 2WD, it has served me well. Great ATV....back in the early to mid 70's you hear the slogan "Some day you will own a Yamaha", I still remember their ad. They were talking about the motorcycles (I once owned a Yamaha 125 dirt bike) and then bought me a Yamaha Stereo CA610 Intergrated Amp and CT610 Tuner (lost them in a divorced), great, great products. Then I sat down and played a Yamaha Baby Grand Piano (quality was same as a Steinway).

Yamaha has always made very good products. Split Toe is very generous with his Yamaha ATV, he lets anybody in the club borrow it to ride to a far away stand. I have even rode it, to much power for me...Metalman has a Yamaha and Deerhead has a Suzuki. When and if I replace mine, the three that I am thinking about is Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda in that order. Both Split Toe and Deerhead ATV are very impressive, plenty of power and 4WD with nice accessories. Split Toe just put a winch on his as a Christmas Present.

Did replace the Stereo with a bigger Yamaha IA and Tuner. In the mancave, my surround sound is a Yamaha Receiver. Yep, their slogan was right.....wonder why they don't make cars or trucks?? I must admit that I have 3 Honda Generator, but would not hesitate to buy a Yamaha Generator. Split Toe is right, the 2800 Watt we have for the club runs a lot during hunting seasons (both Turkey and Deer)

MI - sorry to get off the main subject. Split Toe is right, there is a guy in our hunt club that owns a Yamaha 700 and the current one is his second or third one.  If you get a 700 give us feedback on it..we all would appreciate it....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »
No experienc with them. In Alabama we used  a Polaris Ranger 700 6x6. Nice two, sometime three passenger vehicle and nice box to haul blinds and stuff in, and deer out!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 01:27:37 PM »
As I said in my previous post here is that my current ATV is a 1999 Big Bear 350 2WD with winch and hard rear case (See Attached Picture) and it maybe time to replace it....would like your opinion on what brand, model, etc it should be....remember now, I am on a fixed income and am retired with both knees replacement surgery....so keep that in mind as well....it has to be used and cost some where between $5K to $6K no more that $6k, meaning out the door for $6K......

Having said that, I have driven Split Toe's Yamaha and Deerhead's Kawasuki and they are both faster than I want to go.....my plans are to take my Yamaha Big Bear down to camp and use it for work weekend, it desperately needs a carburetor Kit in it cause it leaks gas...funny when it is running, it doesn't leak gas....so when I bring it back to TN to have a carburetor kit, change oil and filter, adjust the valves...and then go from there, used the ATV during hunting season and then start seriously looking at them in Fed and March and go from there.....

Your opinions matter to me...please express them.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »
I don't think I would go more than a 500 next time. there isn't enough mass to handle more power than that IMO. more is fine for speed, but I don't need speed.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 07:13:48 PM »
Ditto to Yari's comment.  The horsepower to weight ratio is going to limit what work you can do with an ATV, if you're not interested in a lot of top end speed you're better off staying with something like a 350-400 cc quad.  If your current machine is 2WD, I think you'll be very impressed with just moving up to a 4WD at a similar engine displacement. My current Arctic Cat 400 quad in low range has plenty of torque to spin all four tires under a heavy pull.  My 700 cc side by side however is a bit under powered for the weight of that machine.  It will pull a lot more than my 400, but it's power limited rather than traction limited when I really put it to the test (probably weighs twice what the 400 does).   Both of them are faster on the open road that I care to go (about 45 on the ATV and 53 on the UTV).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 06:49:13 AM »
Had a 175 Yamaha in 1970.  Rode it to work and dirt raced it on weekends. Sold it in 72 when I was sent to ROK and got a 250 "Kaw", (Kawasuki) from another GI leaving and when I left I sold it to another GI, bet it is still going.  Did a lot of "hill" climbing over there with it.  Was a Dirt bike guy in my younger years, it's what we had.

Got my first ATV, a Suzuki Vinson 500 4X4, good thing as I needed a 4X4 to use the GroundHog MAX.  It's a used 2007 purchased in 2015 for about $3.2K from a local Performance Dealer.  Came with winch and key/push start with backup pull start.  Got the wife a new 300 Kaw 2wd in 2016 for $4.5K out the door (cash offer works) to ride on the club during non hunting season, this was from another dealer in town as the first did not sale anything that small.  Put a winch on it just incase it does get into trouble, it's my backup for hunting.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 07:36:08 AM »
Guess I never updated this.  I ended up with  A Honda Rancher 420 4x4. 

I'm very happy with it, has more than enough power to plow my drive and haul stuff to my hunting/fishing locations.

I opted for the foot shifter as I had bad experiences with the electronic shift models. If I ever go with anything bigger I will go with a shiftless transmission.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »
Good choice MI- Honda makes a good machine.

Bo that is the one for you- Honda 420 Rancher 4X4-- I think you will like it.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad