New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Yamaha Kodiak 700 ATV?  (Read 2850 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Yamaha Kodiak 700 ATV?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 12:45:14 PM »
Have been looking at all the comments on the ATV...and it looks like a Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki.....something larger than a 500 CC and on-demand 4 wheel drive.....

Have been cranking the ATV every other day and it cranks right up and runs for about 15 to 30 minutes then I shut it off....it has been a great ATV over the years, I have used it and abuse it!! and it still keeps on keeping on.....thanks for all the comments...and please kept the coming...like I said, let this present hunting season pass and then get into a newer one...hate to see this one go, it is part of me.....

Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
I've got a Honda Quad Trax and love it .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
While I typically like to keep things as simple as possjble to prevent downtime in the woods, having EFI is worth it for those cold starts.

My buddy swears by the power steering as well. He says it eliminates bump steer on the trails.

I looked at getting a locking front axle and it seems that without power steering they are a bear to turn when engaged.  Realistically, with the winch out front, it has not been an issue, I've yet to get stuck in anything but deep snow....and a locking front end would not have helped me there.

I think overall reliability has come a long way in the last several years.  Hard to go wrong with any of the main manufacturers.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 05:08:23 PM »
I just picked up mine today. rebuilt carb, air filter, ignition coil... basically went through the whole machine. $560 later. the air filter was $70 --7-8-9 toys are expensive

bo- I don't know that you need anything bigger than 500 unless you want to go 50+mph. there isn't enough mass to use all that power over 500cc. you may want to look at a side by side. they have really come down in price plus are more comfortable. not quite as versatile though.   
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:57 PM »
MI-B, I have a locking front diff on my atv, have probably used it three-ish times in the ten or so years I've had it.  Makes steering tougher, but you probably won't use it much.  Mine advises a relatively low speed too when locked, like 5 mph, so once I'm out of whatever jam I'm in I unlock it. 

I haven't had great luck with any atv once the snow gets more than 6-8" deep.  Fortunately that's rare for me.  If it happened a lot I'd probably buy a sled or maybe a quad track kit for it.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »
My 420 is fast. Faster than I will.drive it.

I originally looked at the 700 because of price but unless you are running tracks or mud bogging tires or pulling a heavy load  you will probably never need much more than a 500.  I have not wanted for power even plowing my drive. I lose traction long before I lose power.

Honestly my Recon 250 had more power than I needed.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
Yari - MI-B - Mad -

Yes I would like to go with something that is more powerful than my current ATV...it is fast enough for me for sure, I only putz on it to get to my ladder stand of blind...it really gets a work out during work weekend, like the one coming up this weekend...this is where the 500 would have come in handy, but the little 350 does fine the rest of the year....I am not Deerhead who we see hauling a** past us at the camp on the way to his stand, he really goes too fast for me, but I do like his Suzuki King Quad 450...it is real nice and has some features on it that I do like that other (Yamaha and Honda) do not have.....

I have put the 700 in the mix as well and decided it is too big for me and my needs, with the knee replacement and a bad back thinking of something smaller that I can throw my left over to get up.....but that is another story...but this weekend will be making an assessment on my current ATV.....Thanks for all the comments.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
Yamaha Kodiak 700 ATV?
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 08:35:06 AM »
I have 2005 model Honda Rancher 350 purchased it new after being stranded by a piece of junk Polaris. The Polaris units are junk in my opinion the local shops kept mine more than I did yes I said shops. It would run to trailer to camp get me to the woods then tow it back or cus beat and bang for hours to drive it back to dye in camp. I serviced the Honda Wednesday then gave it its annual tlc scrub and polish. Itís 2wd but with the tires I have I can honestly say I have never been stuck at deer camp. The only work that has been done is I replaced the starter, adjusted the valves/clutch, tires and regular service. It has served me well. I have installed several Metalman Outdoors products on it also just to make life better.     

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:37:53 AM by metalman »
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 06:52:54 PM »
Metalman - Love yours and Split Toe and Deerhead.....I have narrowed it down to three - The Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki....all my Heros have them...of course that would be all three of you guys...never thought about the Polaris....but have been thinking of an Electric UTV or even a golf cart??...just kidding and the Textron are out of my price range, just like the Can-Am's are...way to much money for the remaining days in the woods, say about another 10 to 15 years of hunting...

So I will need some thing for the blind, the deaf and those who will need a cane or walker to get to the blind with....hopefully I will have the wisdom to quit going to the woods when it is time....or I will forget how to get to deer camp....LOL....

Having seen yours at camp, thought it was an newer model that a 2005...wow, it is in great shape for a 2005....I am looking for a 2015 or newer and has a 500 CC engine and a built in winch, on demand 4 wheel drive...like yours, my current 99 Big Bear is a 2 Wheel and it has never left me stranded anywhere...even when I said no, it would say yes and off I would go, the only time it did get me in trouble was hunting here in TN and it was snowy and all the leaves were on the ground and it was dark and had to stop for one second when it started down the steep hill in the dark at 5 AM in the morning....it hit a small tree it it had his a bigger tree the kind that doesn't give, the I would have gotten killed or really bad injured, almost bailed off of it but when I hit the small tree it did give some and put a small ding in the frame...that is the only time I wish I had 4 wheel drive and have new tires on it like I do today.....

Split Toe is a good ATV also, it is a Yamaha 550 and Deer Head has a Suzuki King Quad 450 and we all know how fast he goes on his, he is just a blur going down the road...LOL.....I do like your rifle rest on yours and your metal boxes, got to remember my 99, I bought in 2000 and by 2001 it was fully loaded, had the winch, and the big hard box on the back and the middle light on it so the whole set up is at least 17 years old and it has been a gem and it has served me very well...no matter if is dirty or muddy it has served me well and never let me down....

Maybe a newer one is in the works for me who knows at this point...but it is time for a newer one and because of yours and Jap51, Deer Head, Split Toe, I have been looking at yawls for a couple of years now.....sure they have been some big changes in them and will need those changes for the dragging the food plots, delivering the lime and fertilizer to the food plots and dragging that big deer out...by the way love your deer cart you design and fabricated.....

We all have some great ideas for the ATV and other parts of hunting, and I am in favor of making some BCSC products and have the proceeds go to the club....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad