New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Trapping question  (Read 961 times)

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Trapping question
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
Im looking for a little help.  I have never trapped before, but while at Fleetfarm last week, my little guy asked if he could try trapping coyotes,  so we bought a couple #3 traps.  I have not really went coyote hunting specifically, its usually hunting something else and pop one whenever I see them, but I am not going to stop my son from trying anything hunting related just because I haven't tried it.

I am thinking we will take some freezer burnt meat out and bait by a tree row I know has yotes in the area, and stake the trap down close, then check every couple days?
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

TalkHunting Community

Trapping question
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Trapping question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
If you have a fur buyer close by, see if he can hook you up with a local trapper. There is a lot to learn about trapping. @--0--0101
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »
I like buckone1's idea. Ask around for some pointers. The problem with jaw traps is the aren't fussy. You may get someones dog. Setting a trap line is an immense amount of work, Particularly a virgin set. Brush needs to managed just so. The line needs checked at least twice a day. I'm not trying to discourage you just preparing you. There's much more to trapping than hunting. The #3 leghold traps have a jaw spread of 6 1/2" they are also available in a dogless (a design not dog proof) version. The #3 size is also about a small as you would want to use. I have trapped a few in my day and had the most success with fresh rabbit meat over trap with a blood trail leading them in. Chicken also works real good too. I used rabbit because I am getting rid of two pests. Plus I luv fried chicken. Trapping is a super way to enjoy nature with your boy. I learned from my Great-granddad and Granddad many years ago. Still have many fond memories and some very important life lessons.

Here's a link to the MN Trappers Assoc: http://www.mntrappers.org/toolsoftrade.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:25:22 PM by Dutch-Hunter »
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:02:30 PM »
bberger, check out this link: http://www.fntpost.com/  They have everything for your trapping needs.  Check your state laws as most of them require the trap to be checked daily.  Also, many states require a sign to be posted by the trap informing "traps are nearby". The easiest method is to find where coyotes are crossing under a fence and place a snare at that crossing.  The snare consist of a small cable with a bent washer.  As the yote puts his nose through the "noose" it tightens up around his neck or body. 

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 06:17:41 PM »
I have been asked the same question by a couple of friends of mine that have young boys interested in trapping. Fortunately, our Department of Environmental Conservation runs summer camps and one of them is dedicated to trapping. It was the best thing that ever happened. Trapping involves a great deal of work, knowledge and experience. Seeking to find if there are any local trapping clubs, sportsmen clubs, or clinics run by your conservation professionals is the best advice I can give you. If you have never trapped before, let someone who has the experience introduce you son to trapping---it will be better for you, for him, and for the wild game he seeks. Just a recommendation for you to consider.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:00:52 PM »
the magazine fur fish and game is good to read
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 12:35:05 PM »
Get with an area trapper and learn how to make a dirt hole set first. Then watch some utube videos there are some good ones out there for beginners. Check your traps at least once a day that is the law in most areas unless you are water trapping. Use a good stake Coyotes are hard on all equipment period. I agree the #3 is the smallest trap to use when trapping coyotes. Good luck!! I think you will like it a lot.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:34:01 AM »
Coyote trapping is tough. I would go with a hole set. On another note you should by some dog proof traps and catch some raccoons. It is a good start out and coon are easier to catch and it will keep your son more interested if you are catching something more often.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
I was thinking along the same line as Snort, you're tackling the toughest end of the scale by starting with yotes.  Plenty of different approaches and styles of traps to consider.  I started out on muskrats and worked up from there, raccoons are not a bad starting point.  YouTube is full of good videos to get you going as well, but it's always tough to beat an experienced coach.  Check your traps daily at a minimum (ideally mornings) and 2x is better if you can.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad