New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: First day on the Ice  (Read 521 times)

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
First day on the Ice
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:10:21 PM »
Made it out on the Ice for the first time this season.

As per usual nothing ever goes as planned the first time out.   We had to perform an impromptu rewiring of my trailer in the parking lot of AutoZone because the lights kept flickering on and off, turns out one of the connectors on the flat 4 plug had corroded all the way through and had broken off.

With that and all of out other "first time out" issues we finally made it out into the ice at around 10:30.

We fished til about 5:30 before we decided we were bored from not catching a single fish and just plain cold.

Well, as they say a bad day fishing is still better than a good day working:

In the background you can see thhe ressure crack that has formed accross the lake.  Not cool to hit on a snowmobile or any other vehicle.  It loos like open water near it but I can assure you it was frozen.

My Recon, 2wd but still works pretty good as long as the snow is not too deep.

My prize bag, still in service.   ##$%#115

My buddies new to him Rancher....I am so tempted to just go buy one of these 4x4's....They really nice, I may end up with one before the winter is over.

We figured this was our trial run to get our heads back into the game. Hopefully the kinks were worked out and we can get serious as the winter ticks on.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:15:38 PM by MI_Bowhunter »
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: First day on the Ice
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:55:49 PM »
Never did very well ice fishing when it was sunny out (way back when I used togo ice fishing)  but it was lots better than being cooped up inside. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »
the maiden voyage is always good to get out of the way. like you said, it's not about catching fish, just about getting back out there. now you are ready to put a few in the frying pan
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline tikkaman

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Hunt in Iron Range MN & Dunn County WI
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:53:16 PM »
It's an adventure in itself!  What species were you targeting?
Hunt with your kids not for your kids
Mathews switchback
Tikka T3 lite S/S  30-06

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
Just get out there is fun...better luck next time!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 06:40:00 AM »
Hope the ice sticks around for you guys. Here, it's just got safe, for me anyway, and now it's in the 40s or near 40 this week so we will see if it sticks around since we only have 4-6 inches now.

New Page 3

Google Ad