New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Big Coyotes  (Read 1037 times)

Offline 3 beard

• 4 Point
Big Coyotes
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
Just wondering how big of coyotes some of you've seen this year. I know a guy here in Potter County, WMU 3A that shot a sixty seven pound coyote this year. It came by his tree stand trailing a deer that was exhausted. It was nipping at it's back legs trying to hamstring the deer so he shot. Took it to the bear check station to show the game commission and they weighed it. Said it was a coydog, a cross between a coyote and something else. Something that size wandering about makes you want to be packing some protection.

TalkHunting Community

Big Coyotes
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Re: Big Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »
Usually around 35-45 lbs. from my experience.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
That is a big coydog!! Thats why Indiana allows hunters to carry a pistol when hunting----- Without any kind of permit!! (*&^&%#
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »
We hunt coyotes here in NY with hounds pretty hard. The biggest one we ever took was exactly 50 lbs. Most are 30-40 lbs. But they are one tough animal.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »
the wolves and yotes have been crossing. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a yote a wolf and a cross. I would think the cross would be in that 70 lb range for a male. when in doubt, SHOOT
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »
I would guess 30-40 pounds is the norm around here, but have seen some big ones on occasion - perhaps were crosses.  A few years ago when the EHD was really bad here, I had a yote come past my stand one morning that wasn't terribly tall, but was so darn round he was half waddling - I'm guessing from eating so many carcasses for a couple of months, unless it was just bloated due to some sort of illness.  I really think the EHD problem for us was a double whammy - it cut the deer population, but caused the yotes to multiply more due to the food supply, and then the bigger yote population puts more pressure on the fawns and other prey.  I haven't shot any yet this winter, gotta get my act together.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »
The biggest I have taken in Potter Co. is a 38 lb female and a 44 lb male. Both shot during deer season, that seems to be when they are the biggest after eating well all summer and fall.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:36:51 PM »

In October Jenn got this guy. He weighed 55 pounds. Not uncommon for our area. Normal range is 40-50 with a few up to 60-70.
We like our  @--0--0138 targets on the large size.  --09--0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  @--0--0138
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:06 AM »
We have them running around our hunting camp in SW Alabama and I think the only one ever shot weighed around 40 pounds. All of us that hunt will shoot them on sight if we see them while deer hunting. Might be time to start hunting them once the deer season is over.
Air Force Veteran

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 02:03:46 PM »
A friend who raises cattle told me last evening, that a trapper snagged a 57# coyote behind his house.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad