New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Wisconsin WEIRD!  (Read 898 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Wisconsin WEIRD!
« on: January 20, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
I ain't just talking about me either.

I was able to do a short walk-about today. Temp had moderated to a balmy 15 degrees above zero. Snow depth was 10-12 inches average depth. The intention of my excursion was to check on headbone. Well headbone is done the deer to the left in this picture is a buck with bald sores on his head. The deer on the right is a doe. I was able to determine this by a lack of knob sores. Plus to make it really weird she stood for the buck to mount her. Now it is January 20 and I can't ever remember seeing a doe stand for a buck this time of year. At least in my area. This may explain the spotted fawns I saw last August and September. All I know for sure is the natural order is evolving. I'm planning on an extended shed hunt this Sunday, it's supposed to be in the 30's.

Other observations from my hike were flocks of Lapland Longspurs (arctic songbirds) still hanging around. Ravens still proclaiming their existence. Red squirrel tails bushier than I've ever seen. Finally the boots I got in Georgia are great for hiking, not so much for standing.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

TalkHunting Community

Wisconsin WEIRD!
« on: January 20, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Wisconsin WEIRD!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »
Some of ours have dropped and some are still holding on. I saw a 10 point a couple of days ago that was still sporting head gear!!

I hate to see breeding going on so late. Any baby produced will have a hard time making it!

Good luck with your shed hunt!!
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:36:20 PM »
Sounds like a nice walk DH. You wore Georgia boots in Wisconsin!!! Shut the front door!!! Guess you got to keep moving HUH??  ;D
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
I saw an antlerless buck breed a few years back in February, but that was the year of the Halloween storm. everything was messes up

I saw a FIELDFARE w/ a flock of robins last week. they aren't supposed to be anywhere close to WI. very different looking bird
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »
I saw an antlerless buck breed a few years back in February, but that was the year of the Halloween storm. everything was messes up 1991 as I recall

I saw a FIELDFARE w/ a flock of robins last week. they aren't supposed to be anywhere close to WI. very different looking bird
Don't see them much around here, reminds me of meadowlarks
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »
I knew you got you a good pair of walking boots, and they wouldn't hold up to standing around in the subzero temps up there. however they might do the job for you when you are rippinlipz  ##$%#1115 ##$%#1115
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »
I knew you got you a good pair of walking boots, and they wouldn't hold up to standing around in the subzero temps up there. however they might do the job for you when you are rippinlipz  ##$%#1115 ##$%#1115
Yipper Kipper I'm gonna be packin' them for WalleyeBlast. Plan for the worst and gladly accept the best.  --9-908

I told wv on the phone yesterday if it got any warmer here I may have to go commando.  ##$%#12

There's an unforgettable image I blessed you all with.  @--0--0123  ##$%#15  @--0--0130 BELOW!  --7-8-9 NOT!  @--0--0102
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »
Yipper Kipper I'm gonna be packin' them for WalleyeBlast. Plan for the worst and gladly accept the best.  --9-908

I told wv on the phone yesterday if it got any warmer here I may have to go commando.  ##$%#12

There's an unforgettable image I blessed you all with.  @--0--0123  ##$%#15  @--0--0130 BELOW!  --7-8-9 NOT!  @--0--0102
'Scuse me, I gotta go flush my memory after that comment - yikes.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
Crazy! I saw a doe stand for a buck on October 27th.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad