New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Poll

Where do you hunt most of the time

public land
0 (0%)
private I own
14 (48.3%)
lease
3 (10.3%)
private owned by familey or friend
6 (20.7%)
combination
4 (13.8%)
other not covered
2 (6.9%)
guided hunts
0 (0%)
high fence
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 17, 2015, 10:29:32 AM

Author Topic: Hunting Property  (Read 1984 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Hunting Property
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
Just wondering what type of land everyone is hunting and how many acres (row crop, woods, pasture, mixture, etc.)? 

Are most people leasing land, have permission, own their land, public hunting, hunt clubs, etc.?

What type of water sources, if any, are on their hunting property?

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Re: Hunting Property
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »
Right now I'm down to leasing about 75 acres I think.  Most of it is hard woods but it has a little open pasture and a couple of ponds.  The landowner has about 20 cows on it.  He charges us $1000 total so me and Dad spit it 50/50.  Me and my two sons and my Dad hunt it.  It isn't much but gives us a place to go.  Last year we had some nice deer and plenty of doe's. I actually shot my best bow buck last year from this place.  But this year I don't know what has happened.  Our deer have vanished.  We have seen a couple of small young bucks, and have got only a few pics of deer.  But all the pics are of young bucks.  We have yet to see or get a pic of a doe.  And the sign just isn't there this year.  Very few tracks, only one rub line, etc.  Wish I knew what happened.  Our little honey hole has turned sour.  We may have to hunt public some this year.

We may have to start looking for another place again after this season.  This place is very small and now we have a neighbor to the north setting up on our fence.  I would like to have a place bigger.  But our problem is we are so close to DFW that the big money city boys have infiltrated our little Fannin County area and throwing ridiculous money at the land owners.  They have pushed the price of leasing up to over $20 per acre, some are getting $30.  The only hope we have is to find a land owner that has experienced leasing to the big money city boys and had bad experiences with them and has run them off.  That is how we found this place we are on now.  It's worth every penny ($1000) just to have a place.  But it sure is nice when there are actually deer around.  And we all wish we had more acreage.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »
We own and hunt on 108 areas that we live on.  Unfortunately we have a neighbor that shots anything he sees regardless of tags (2 years ago he claimed to have shot 15). He gets reported every year and so far nothing has happened to him, but maybe if he gets caught this year the DEC will do something, I believe his cousin has retired from the DEC.

I'm positive he shot at least 2 with a rifle during archery season.  We have seen very little sign and very few deer this year and even less last year.  I do have several does and a couple of bucks on me, but they only travel at night and use our place mostly for travel and night feeding area
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:24:20 AM by Zos41 »
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »
I hunt my own land and three other farms which total around 1200 acres all together. All private land and I have been lucky so far to not have to pay any fees. Two farms I hunt the lady's just love it when I drive my squad car and park it in there drive ways while I hunt, but I also clean there leafs in the fall and keep there drives plowed in the winter and they love deer meat. They get as much as they want from me every year. Of course no cost to them either.

One farm the lady has the Life Line and when she falls she just push the Life Line and I'm on the call list. I am close and arrive first and stay with her until her son or daughter arrive, but I will still do that even if I did not hunt her farm.

Between all the farms I hunt I have some of everything, rivers, swamps, woods, crops, etc....

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
I hunt my own land and three other farms which total around 1200 acres all together. All private land and I have been lucky so far to not have to pay any fees. Two farms I hunt the lady's just love it when I drive my squad car and park it in there drive ways while I hunt, but I also clean there leafs in the fall and keep there drives plowed in the winter and they love deer meat. They get as much as they want from me every year. Of course no cost to them either.

One farm the lady has the Life Line and when she falls she just push the Life Line and I'm on the call list. I am close and arrive first and stay with her until her son or daughter arrive, but I will still do that even if I did not hunt her farm.

Between all the farms I hunt I have some of everything, rivers, swamps, woods, crops, etc....

Your set up has always sounded like a really nice gig.  You are very lucky and I'm sure very well deserving to have such a great hunting set up.  Count your blessings and enjoy it for all it is.  You are very fortunate.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline Huntinggrandma

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Me when I was in uniform, for wedding annoucement
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:24:45 AM »

that sounds like a perfect setup to me
A life member of NRA
NY lifetime Sportmen License holder
US Army WAC vet 62-68 SP5

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »
Generally hunt private land, just blessed to have that option.  Have ten acres at home which I hunt from on occasion, bowhunt on a neighboring farm which is steadily being surrounded by housing development, and do some turkey and deer hunting in southern part of state with family members on their farm.  Would probably switch to public land before leasing if I lost my access, at least for a while.  Have some decent options for that here in Illinois. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »
Im a member of a Sportsmans Club in northern MI that has abou 4K acres. Not all good for deer. Its best when they start to move into the swamp for winter. The last couple of winters have been hard. Only saw 1 set of tracks on the property last weekend.

Closer to home I bave a blind set up on the edge of a 320 acre bean/corn field. The crops vary from year to year. This also connect to two other woods of about 40 acres that I and a few others have permission to hunt.

I also just got access to about 15 acres south of my house where I am actually sitting as I type this.  :-D Property owner allows any legal buck but prefers we only take larger deer. No does.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
I'm in the middle of a national forest. the closest farm land is 5 miles away. I put in a total of 7 acres of plots and have 40-50 mature apple trees. the deer enter the winter in pretty good shape

as for water, I put in a pond this year, but there is a creek and several beaver ponds

this time of the year I hunt my folks place since mine is normally snowed in. it's just a 40, but there are some good bucks around. it's in ag country(metro area)
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for responding and TH for putting the poll up there.  I now have a better visual of y'alls hunting land when stuff gets posted.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for responding and TH for putting the poll up there.  I now have a better visual of y'alls hunting land when stuff gets posted.
I though the poll could be interesting
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »
We own 20 acres with about 1,000 acres of public land on 3 sides. It is very difficult for anyone to get in our area from the public land.

I plant 4 acre's in food plots and the rest is yard and hard woods.

It's nice to be able to walk out of the house and have this much area to hunt.   @--0--0118
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »
I'm in the middle of a national forest. the closest farm land is 5 miles away. I put in a total of 7 acres of plots and have 40-50 mature apple trees. the deer enter the winter in pretty good shape

as for water, I put in a pond this year, but there is a creek and several beaver ponds

this time of the year I hunt my folks place since mine is normally snowed in. it's just a 40, but there are some good bucks around. it's in ag country(metro area)

Yari, how does that work with your cabin being in National Forrest land?  Is it your land?  I know its your cabin.  But how is the ownership of the land done?
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 08:33:40 PM »
I hunt private; 2 clubs and a couple of pieces that cover several hundred acres which are owned by friends or friends of friends...about 1k total maybe 1100 in all...always looking for more...
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 05:20:18 AM »
I hit "public owned by family or friend" and hoped it was a typo, you meant private land owned by family or friend.  Actually my landlords property.
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad