New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Strange Season  (Read 633 times)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Strange Season
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:24:19 AM »
Isn't it funny how every year deer hunters talk about how strange this season is?  Every year it seems the deer are doing things different we can't explain.  We blame it on the weather patterns, acorn crops or lack of, pressure, changes in food sources, etc.  But every single year we as deer hunters experience things with these creatures we pursue that we really can't explain.  "It's a strange season."  "It's a weird season."  We hear it every year.

This year for me is no exception.  I hunted three days daylight to dark in a wildlife refuge busting at the seams with deer and saw nothing but bucks.  Not one single doe was seen.  I've had my camera's out on my place since early October.  The first 3 weeks I only had one picture of a deer which was a buck.  I just pulled cards yesterday and went through 2000 pictures last night.  I have several hundred pics of cows, a few pics of pigs, and now a lot of pics of bucks.  NO DOE'S!  Best I can tell I have about 8 different bucks on my property (all young).  But I have yet to see a doe or get a picture of a doe this fall.  @--0--0117  What the heck is going on?  Yes, a Strange Season is unfolding indeed. ##$%#1119

Anything strange going on in your neck of the woods?
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
Re: Strange Season
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »
I hear you Russ I took my daughter out Sun for her first hunt and we saw no deer in a stand that is know year after year for seeing plenty. I got a report after the hunt that all the deer are in the swamp or the two big oak thickets on the back of the farm ruttin it up all over. So yes weird sounds right.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »
Every year seems to be different than that last and they all have their strange moments that's for sure. My season opens in 4 days, can't wait to see what this year will bring.
Air Force Veteran

Online BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
I have seen deer patterns change from year to year.  I cannot say one season has been stranger that the next.  I do, however, think that we as hunters change the deer patterns.  They catch onto us by the end of the season (or end of the summer) and change their habits to avoid humans.  The more we encroach the more they change.  It might not be me personally but a change in the area (logging half a mile away, new house built, someone new in the neighboring area who has no clue that they should keep their house dogs at home.)  Wildlife will follow the food and work to avoid dangerous or uncertain situations.

The only way, after several years I have found to keep the deer on a pattern is to plant very very tasty food plots and make sure that I am out in my hunting area every day so they get used to my smell and they find out very early in the year (Feb or March) I may not pose a threat......it has taken me 10 years to get them comfortable with me and I will not hunt the core three or four doe.  I will hunt new visitors and the bucks that come to check out the ladies.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:37:34 PM by BeaglePup »
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »
My farms this year seem to have ratio of 3 bucks to every doe. All past years it was 10 or 15 does to every buck.

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:52:31 PM »
i'll trade you. I've only seen a single spike and i'm 3 weeks into the rut. i'm going to take out an ad in the local deer mag for some prettier girls. mine aren't making the cut apparently
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 05:54:38 PM »
Yep, every year seems to have it's strangeness.  I'm heading south on Thursday night for my annual pilgrimage to hunt the first weekend of IL firearm season.  Last year down there I was seeing 8-10 bucks for every doe.  During turkey season this spring saw quite a few does.  Not sure what's going on - perhaps the ladies are all at a social event somewhere waiting for the little bucks to calm down?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
Methinks the does have been studying the "Huntan," regulations, scheduled seasons, dusk, dawn shooting hours AND have been training their young fawns in the "Huntan."

Reminds me of Jim Shockey commercial how the wildlife game has evolved and as hunters, we must also.

Anyway, second week of November I saw 3 mature does and 5 young does come in to my food plot right at last light.  I haven't seen them back yet.  Soon hopefully!  If not I will be making the same statements!                      %^$^
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

New Page 3

Google Ad