New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hagerman 2015  (Read 764 times)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Hagerman 2015
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
Update: 2 spikes, 1 4pt, 2 8 pts, 1 turkey, 4 coyotes,  and about 30 pigs seen today. Animals were moving around all day so I sat still and quiet.  I didn't get a chance at a buck day 1. But it sure is fun hunting a refuge.

My buddy jim shot and missed a 140 class 8 point right at dusk. We didn't find blood or his arrow so there is still a chance but it don't look good.  He has a bow cam and hopes something will show on film.  If not maybe we can find his arrow or some blood tomorrow and recover his deer. He saw a lot of action from his stand today. 

Back at the gate we talked to the other hunters coming out.  Several big bucks were seen and supposedly one in the 160" class was taken.  The lucky Hunter had already left so we didn't get to see it.

We will be back in the stand before daylight tomorrow and plan to hunt all day again.  Hopefully with all the deer moving something nice will show.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:19:31 PM by russcat »
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
Re: Hagerman 2015
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 08:52:46 PM »
Sat from before daylight to dark again today. Didn't see a single animal until almost dark.   Three small bucks came by one by one. A 4 point, a spike, and then a small 8.  All arrows are still clean and in the quiver. Talked to other hunters at the gate.  Very few deer were seen today in our unit. Something had them locked down. Our unit doesn't have many hunters in it so I don't think it's that.  Today was opening day of duck season and it sounded like WWIII this morning on the neighboring properties.   I'm sure that had something to do with it. 

My buddy jim reviewed his footage from yesterday.  He hit the big 8 high. We looked for an hour or so today 10-11 am. Not one drop of blood was found.  No deer.  Jims pretty sick about it.  Would have been a nice P&Y deer for him. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »
Well its a done deal. Sat in my summit daylight to dark three days daylight to dark. Over the weekend I had a total of 5 deer in bow range and all were bucks....no shooters. I didn't see a single doe all weekend. Friday deer moved all day long. Saturday nothing till 15 minutes before dark. And today I didn't see a single deer. I'm tired, sore, and whooped.

This 46 year old with a bad back and neck will be in a ground blind next time if I'm lucky enough to get drawn again in the future.  It will probably take 3-4 years to build the points to get drawn again.  Hagerman is a special place. I hope today wasn't my last time to hunt there.

Now its time for the regular season and some deer camp action with my boys and my dad.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »
it's always good to have a shot at a dandy buck. as the saying goes, 'you have to pay to play'. maybe the 3rd time will be a charm.

now it's fun time. enjoy  the time w/ the boys
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »
You did succeed in my book for sitting three days, all day. Not a lot of hunters can do that, or even come close. Hope you had fun any way.

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »
You did succeed in my book for sitting three days, all day. Not a lot of hunters can do that, or even come close. Hope you had fun any way.
Thank you sir.  Hagerman is only a 3 day hunt.  If I had more time or an entire season I probably wouldn't do that 3 full days in a row.  Plus, the caliber of bucks that walk them woods makes Hagerman a truly special place and motivation to hunt while you can.  Not many places in the world offer this kind of hunting with this kind of realistic opportunity to kill a B&C buck.  They are there and they do have 200" deer.  It is an incredible sanctuary of monster bucks. 

A hunt like this is more than just climbing up in a stand and sitting.  It involves a lot of scouting. Then it is walk or bike in only.  So wherever you set up its a long way to haul gear and a deer if you happen to get one.  My buddy Jim had an App on his phone where he measured the distance from the truck to his stand and it was .98 miles.  Plus getting up at 3:45 and making that drive three days in a row is hard.  Sitting in the stand is the easy part literally.  It is when you finally get to relax.  Mentally I enjoyed every minute of being in the woods.  Time actually flew by for me.  Its the physical part of sitting that is hard because of my back.  I spent as much time standing as I did sitting in my stand.  And I have a summit so its a comfy stand.  Today I'm paying for it.  My lower back is shot.  @--0--0128
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »
Hang in there Russ, and thanks for the updates.  Three long days without a shot can be discouraging for sure, but we've all been there and we keep going back.  Understand your buddy's sickness on that buck - been there and it ain't fun. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad