New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: problem deer burger help please?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Re: problem deer burger help please?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 02:58:55 PM »
I always soak my cut up venison in cold water in a large plastic clean tote. Even though I debone and am very careful cleaning my deer, I am always amazed at the pieces of deer hair I have missed along with the bright red color of the water after it soaks for 15-20 minutes. I have often drained that water and soaked it again for at least 20 minutes before I grind it up.

Also, I use bacon instead of pork butts or other fat additives to make what we call bacon burgers. Has a nice smoked hickory flavor and it mix three pounds of bacon with 7 pounds of venison to make 10 pound batches.

Hope this helps!
Foxhunter

I have done the burgers as well,  we get 3lb package of bacon ends pretty cheap, and seems to be the perfect 70/30 mix for bacon burgers.
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »
Probably the best solution is instead of grinding the venison, just chunk it up, add a little salt, and put in in clean hot canning jars, and pressure can it.  It's very simple, (just follow the pressure canner instructions) and the venison is readily available for use at any time afterwards.  You don't have to add water, the venison will make it's own.  Later, all you have to do is warm it up, it's already cooked. Steam or boil some potatoes, add the warmed up venison and you have a hearty meal.  Another benefit is that if your power goes out, you don't have to worry about your venison thawing out and going bad.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Dustin

• Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
thanks everyone for your responses. usually I grind just straight venison but plan to add bacon this year. I will try the drain for a few hours before bagging technique and see how it turns out.

Offline Dustin

• Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »
one more question for everyone who grinds bacon into their deer burger. what kind of percentage do you shoot for? I have been doing about an 80/20 mix. and happy with it. but curious about everyone elses experiments and preferences. @--0--0108 ##$%#116

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
When I use beef tallow I go 90/10, but the majority of it at our house goes to spaghetti, chili, tacos, etc.  If I was going to use it for grilled burgers I'd probably go more like 80/20.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad