New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: disturbing info  (Read 384 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
disturbing info
« on: October 12, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
a friend was bear hunting w/ a guide in WI. they got to talking about the lack of deer. the guide had some disturbing info.

back 10-15 years ago the glorious WI DNR allowed hunters to buy 5 doe tags PER DAY for $2 each. this was about the time locals were shooting 25-35 deer per year off the corner of my property for 3 years in a row. I knew there was something odd about it. there's no way they were processing the deer before they spoiled during the hotter years.

here's the kicker. a lot of locals were feeding the deer to their hunting dogs.   some of the bear guides have 5-15 dogs. at $2 each it was cheap dog food. shortly after this the wolves were introduced. the combo was devastating.

does this urk anyone else? it really strikes a cord. just because the DNR messes up the laws doesn't mean you should kill for the sake of killing. right?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: disturbing info
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 05:42:57 PM »
Amen Yari, but the world is full of short sighted and selfish humans, so unfortunately what you're describing sounds quite likely. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 07:49:21 PM »
Wow!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
disturbing info
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »
Too bad there isn't some kind of legal recourse for such gross negligence.  And to pour salt in the wound the people responsible for that negligence were being paid by you Yari...and every other tax paying, license purchasing, sportsman in Wi.  I would hope they are not still in office.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:51:56 PM by russcat »
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline barky

• Fawn
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »
I remember those days, 2 $ doe tags. Then I remember people complaining just a couple of short years later why they weren't seeing any deer. All I could say was remember when you were shooting all those doe!

I could keep going on but I get frustrated thinking about it just like yari. It's sad we can have a great deer heard but it always seems to get mismanaged one way or another.

We can blame the DNR but we can blame ourselves the hunter as well, for it wasn't about the hunt but more about just to go out and kill something. I know very few families that can eat 5 deer a year or more.

I hope those days are long gone and we learnd from it.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
Amen barkey. Sounds to me like some serious efforts need to go into recovery.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 09:43:01 PM »
Some folks seem to show little sense, bet the same people shooting that number of deer are the same ones complaining about the lack of deer
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:33:07 AM »
I agree with everyone here that is rough right there. Mis-management all the way IMO, Just stupid.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
The DNR is a government agency, and we all know how well they work. They start out with good intentions but government corruption sneaks in and they no longer are focused on the original goal, they are swayed to much by other outside influences.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
russ- you know gov't workers don't get fired.

I was told back then that the insurance agencies were responsible for the $2 tags. DNR caved to too many car collisions. i'm sure there were political donations also.

also, they 'hunters' participating in the killings were just doing it to kill. I don't get it. what a waste 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 07:36:58 PM »
In IL our DNR in recent years has done a lot of the same things, more than likely with plenty of coaching from State Farm & others.  Current director seems to have his head on straight - let's hope he can stay the course for a while.  The overabundance of tags for many years coupled with a few bad years of EHD and a significant growth in our 'yote population has our deer here locally on the ropes.  Thought things were picking up in the last year, but reports I'm getting from bow hunters thus fall in October don't support it. 

One other thing which was a side effect of all the tags available - - I believe we ended up with quite a few "hunters" bagging every deer they could & selling the meat as sausage & jerky.  I've had a number of people who know I hunt approach in recent years to tell me they'd like to buy some meat from me - they get a really worried look on their face when I tell them it's illegal to do that.  Hard to believe how uninformed the masses are.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
Money & Politics unfortunately are the biggest influence on policies. The DNR back then was under fire (excuse the pun) by the Insurance Companies to reduce the number of deer/vehicle accidents. Well as anyone travelling Wisconsin roads can attest this has NOT helped. Most accidents caused by deer go unreported for fear of rate hikes. The accidents that are reported are because of either extensive body damage or bodily injury or both.

As most of you may recall Mrs DH is an expert vehicle marksman when it comes to road hunting. She has gone into semi-retirement the past couple of years. (KNOCK ON WOOD) Her grilled venison number has been holding at 21 since 2012. Yet she still is not allowed to drive my new truck to work.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

New Page 3

Google Ad