New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Dutch-Hunter's Archery Journal  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Dutch-Hunter's Archery Journal
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »
Sept, 12: Opening morning; had to drive truck, figures! It was 36 degrees anyway. BRRRR! TO EARLY!

Sept, 13, Day two:

3:00; AM; got up and had a quick breakfast, filled thermos, double checked gear. Iím ready!

4:15; left house and walked to blind. Very heavy dew with a temp of 38 degrees, not much wind just a whisper from southwest. On the walk I heard a couple of bows, so I knew the other early risers vacated the area.

4:35; settled into the blind. Set up gear and since my walked chased the deer off had my 3rd cup of coffee for the day.

5:15 a young doe and small 6 point came cruising past. Guess what! Camera battery is dead. (Note to stupidÖcheck batteries before leaving the house!) The doe weighed about 140 and was a 3 year old. The buck weighed around 175 and about the same age. I was amazed that he had his neck all blown up and dark. It seems very early to have the hormones running. But to my surprise he rubbed and licked her, she returned the favor and allowed him to mount her. This is amazingly early for the rut to start. It may be an anomaly but there it was 45 yards in front of me. At 6:10 they merrily pranced away.

6:40 an older doe brought her twins out to feast on the wet clover. Momma weighed 185 and looked to be a 5 year old or so. The fawns have lost their spots and look really healthy and would weigh 85-100 pounds. They grazed and played for the better part of an hour. One of the twins jumped up on some 1st crop round bales I had lined up by the fence line. It ran from one end to the other, jumped off the back side ran around and jumped back up, hooves in the air just running and enjoying life. This show of not a care in the world lasted for 10 minutes. Then momma stomped her foot and play time was over and all three darted into the woods and disappeared.

7:50 a coyote appeared by the round bales, a male. He sniffed the tracks and circled the bales once. It was beyond the range of the crossbow at 85 yards. Lord, I wish I had at least holstered the 327. Quickly he disappeared as well. (Yes, there was another note to stupid) For the next 90 minute I just sat and listened to nature. The cranes were braying all around me. The geese are flocking up getting ready to head possumís way, along with the ducks, vultures and the rest of the fair weather feathered friends. There was a red squirrel that started to insult my family heritage. What annoying little creatures they are. Youíd think they owned the entire woods or something.

8:45 the sun rose over the ridge to my east. They rays started piercing the canopy and drying the dew. This almost instantly raised ground fog from the clover field. With the full sunlight on the field I knew the action would be very slow if any so I packed up and returned to the house. Iíll head back out around 3:00 PM and sit until dusk. I have seen the boys club every night for the past week. You know grandpa buck and I have a date. Iíd settle for that tall tined 8, too.

9:30 started typing this journal. I have been informed we are going shopping this afternoon. Of course not until the Bears/Packer game is over. You must know when to flex your muscles in a marriage.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Dutch-Hunter's Archery Journal
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
that is early for loven. if she's in season, the other bucks won't be far behind. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
sounds like a great day, Dutch, no sign of mating here in central NY, still have velvet on horns and some fawns still have spots although faded, I have some good camera videos of coyotes and bucks and I'll put a pic on now..Good Luck Dutch our bow season up north starts end of September and Oct 1 here crossbows can be used Nov 3 I believe but I'll be turk hunting cause I don't bow hunt and checking out everything in the woods.
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »
Sounds like a great day Dutch, hope you get a nice one
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 07:19:33 PM »
The rest of the day

11:15 AM; phone rang (Note to stupid...don't answer the phone) "Can you deliver an engine to Alexandria, MN?" Gutshot kept me up to date on the GB/Chi game by texting the score. Thanks Gut.

6:15 PM got home and found grandpa and tall 8 already in clover feeding.

Maybe next time.

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 07:24:03 PM »
You just needed them to put on a few more pounds before your put em in the locker. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 07:27:28 PM »
Mad... All of the deer are heavy this year. First year in a long time we had a surplus of rain so there was ample feed. Even our acorns are huge, like mini walnuts.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:32:24 PM »
do you have any trail cam pics of the 8 or the old boy?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »
Sounds like a very exciting day, DH. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
Sounds like a busy day that did not go as planned
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 05:24:34 AM »
Today 9/19: Will not make it out again today. Planning on hitting it tomorrow morning.

Next weekend will be a hunting total lost, we have to go to a wedding in Chicago.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 07:18:17 AM »
OK Dutch, time to pull out the calendar and start blocking out some time for dates with those deer, gotta prioritize you know.  Man, time flies, and there's always something to eat it up.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad