New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Crossbow mounted camera / 3D league  (Read 688 times)

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Crossbow mounted camera / 3D league
« on: July 21, 2015, 06:43:09 AM »
I didn't get any good footage while hunting last fall of this spring so I decided to test the camera out at the 3D range.

The Camera used is a Contour Roam  mounted alongside the scope rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmTiw3DMvo

(If you watch full screen and in HD you can see the arrow and hit on some targets)

Some of the shots look like duplicates.   Rules stated two shots at each target from multiple stake locations, some of which were not that different.  Some shots got missed as I kept forgetting to turn the camera on.  DOH!!

For hunting I am going to look for a different camera.  I like the quality of the Roam but the wide angle lens makes objects at 30 yards look like a football field away.

I've got a ATN Shot Trak HD coming that I should be able to get set up and ready for next weekends course.  This cam does not have the high frame rate of the Roam but it has a better field of view for this type of thing.  I'll post the video of that for comparison after I test it out.

As a side, this was my first 3D course with a crossbow.   It was fun but getting the arrows out was a pain. I bent one arrow and lost another that passed through the target.  I tried the old trick of rubbing a bar of soap on the arrow shaft but it did not work to well.    I picked up another product, the name escapes me now, but it was recommended by the range operator so I'll give it a go.  I'll provide feedback after next weekends shoot.   The league is going to run 10 weeks.    I also plan on joining a different 8 week league at another club beginning the end of the month.  I may rotate bows as well once I get the video camera squared away.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Crossbow mounted camera / 3D league
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »
Very nice, however your eyes are much better than mine. Even in full screen I could not see the bolt fly or hit anything, you must be a really bad shot  --099-780 --099-780 Just kidding we all know better than that. How about trying this out for fun, mount the camera on top of a target you are going to shoot at so it will see the arrow approaching the target and your happy face when it strikes home  @--0--0117
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:41:58 AM »
Gut, I did shoot with dual cams a while back.  One mounted to a headband and one on the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFI6Q3zyYM

It would be logistically hard to do at a public range.  ##$%#1119
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
I couldn't see the bolts striking the target either. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:46:26 PM »
Cool video .  ##$%#115
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »
when the time comes and you shoot a deer, can you use slow motion to determine point of impact? that would be a good tool
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »
Your crossbow sounds pretty quiet, the dampers are doing a good job keeping the rattle to a minimum after the shot.  I'll have to see if I can hook up my GoPro to mine (or a headband as you suggest) & see how it compares - I'd be willing to bet I can't see much after the bolt leaves the bow either.  Did you have the resolution setting turned up when you were filming?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 08:21:37 AM »
Here's the video from this weekends round using the ATN Shot Trak HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcgLxVXq3H4

I'm disappointed that there was no sound with the video.   I need to call support and figure out why.  Once again  I forgot to turn the camera on a few times.  This camera has 5x zoom so the targets look much closer than with my other camera.  I really can't see the arrow in flight but it is clearly visible in the target (at least in 720 HD)

Once again two shots per target from slightly different positions

Edit:

I figured out the sound issues.  It is not the camera but the software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmhMtYqrQI

pretty much the same video but I got the sound issues worked out.  I had to use different editing software
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:17:14 PM by MI_Bowhunter »
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 07:58:49 AM »
Different league and a different bow.    Shooting the Excalibur Phoenix here.  It's a little louder and a little slower than the Raptor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ADCPlkfXs

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

New Page 3

Google Ad