New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Mineral spots after rain  (Read 1628 times)

Offline cholland

• 2010 Nov Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Mineral spots after rain
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:10:02 PM »
I started using the Bushnell cameras that sends the pictures straight to your phone which has been fun getting the pictures in real time but one thing  I have learned that I feel hunters can take advantage this fall is get to your stand next to minerals before it stops raining.   Like most of you I put cameras in front of mineral spots and I found that every time it rains the deer hit these mineral spots 20 minutes after the rains.  I watch the weather go through my hunting property and sure enough my phone blows up with pictures 20 minutes after the rain.  I am not sure if this will work in October and November but I am going to find out.  I know most of you must have at least one stand close to a mineral spot so I wanted to share.  Has anyone else discovered the deer hitting there mineral right after rain? 
craiger

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Mineral spots after rain
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »
I have had a mineral lick in the same spot for 6 years , although last year I did not put any on it last year , and this year  the deer still hit that site even though I have put a new lick about 4 feet away from it when the area of the old lick which has water in it they really like it when the dirt is soft and wet .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 06:00:51 AM »
I found the same thing.  I used to put out salt blocks behind the house, to attract deer in.  The rain would wash the salt into the ground, and I noticed the deer would eat the dirt, long after the state banned baiting and feeding.  The deer would come back to the same spot, time after time, until I filled in the hole they had dug.  We have a lot of clay, so the hole would retain rain water for quite a while.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
About 3 years ago I would dig a small pit in the ground saving some loose dirt I buy Trophy rock in the small gravel form called Four65 pour in the hole mix with the dirt rain water will melt the rock pieces...  Don't put mineral site where heavy rain will wash site away. You can place a 12 or 20 pound mineral rock in hole every 6 months or so

Sent from Possum's
 iPad using Tapatalk
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
With or without minerals, I definitely see the pattern in which deer get up & moving after a hard rain, and with all of the rain we've been having for the last 2-3 months there have been a lot of recent occasions where this has been demonstrated. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »
I think you have hit on a good point. Deer love there salt, especially if it is in mud and water.
They will dig a deep hole if you keep a block next to it. ##$%#1119
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »
I have a spot that has been kept spiced up for 8 years now and it is a clay hole magnet.  The hole the deer have dug holds water and has to still be rich in flavor.  They hit the spot year round but this is the time of year we try to keep minerals on the site.  Does it really do enough to help growth, I don't know but it keeps deer stopping by for a taste from time to time.
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »
Not yet. I did buy a heavy plastic holder from Tracto Supply to hold my mineral blocks. It had holes to allow water not to get stagnant in the holder. Time will tell. Holders were about $16 each
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital