New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: More toys  (Read 373 times)

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
More toys
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »
Got rid of my Remington 770 in .300winmag and bought the new Remington 783 in .308,  also, for some reason could not pass up the DPMS AR15 that was on sale at Scheels, it was bare bones, no optics.  It now has optics, back up offset iron sights, flashlight, quad rail, forend grip with spring load bipod, and lots of extra mags.  Still not sure why I needed it, but sometimes you just gotta have it.

Pics will be coming soon.  I may have to camo the stock on the 783.  We cant leave anything alone.  @--0--0105
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: More toys
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:33:54 PM »
I'm sure your shoulder thanks you. You may want to see what Boyd's in Mitchel has available for it. I mean almost in your backyard.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »
bberger - Congrats on your "more toys"!! One can never have enough...Dutch is right, you shoulder will thank you....

I have heard and read nothing bad about the 783. I have read some good articles on it...but now you have it home, the works begins....are you going to put the same scope on the 783 that you had on the 300WM? That would be a good home project to camo the 783 stock or get a Boyd's for it...and yes, congrats on the 308...LOL...I know someone that knows a few things about that caliber.... ##$%#1119

Remember you can take the upper off and replace it with a 300AC Blackout for home protection! something to think about...more toys! 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »
bberger - Congrats on your "more toys"!! One can never have enough...Dutch is right, you shoulder will thank you....

I have heard and read nothing bad about the 783. I have read some good articles on it...but now you have it home, the works begins....are you going to put the same scope on the 783 that you had on the 300WM? That would be a good home project to camo the 783 stock or get a Boyd's for it...and yes, congrats on the 308...LOL...I know someone that knows a few things about that caliber.... ##$%#1119

Remember you can take the upper off and replace it with a 300AC Blackout for home protection! something to think about...more toys!

I could not find any bad reports on the 783 either, it was a choice between that or the 700 ADL, but for $150 difference and no difference in reviews, I will try it.  It came with the same "built by Bushnell for Remington 3x9x40" that the 700 package comes with, so I will give it a few test rounds before deciding.
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:18:47 PM »
bberger - Before heading to the range/woods with the 783, you might want to strip it down and see what you got. After inspection you might want to use some Locktite on the scope bases (two piece), adjust the trigger down to about 3 lbs (or slightly under). The factory setting of 3.5 pounds is ok but as you get more and more comfortable with it, you might want to drop it down a bit. I would start off using 165 and see what happens. Your targets may look good and with 10" twist in the barrel, the 165/168 might be a good choice to start off with. Save your targets and document what ammo you use. Also while you got it stripped down you might want to add a bubble level. They are pretty cheap (Vortex run under $40) and can prove it is worth the price. I am going through and adding Vortex's to all my rifles.

Once last thing, very important...Go through the barrel break-in process of 30 to 35 shots. Clean after each shot. You don't to get it spotless, just get your routine down. I use two 22 size wet patches, let it sit in the barrel 5 minutes then use 5 dry patches. Then use one wet 22 size patch and the follow it up with 5 dry patches then shoot. I have been doing this for years, right of wrong, it works for me. After 30 or 35 shots they you are ready to shoot 5 round before cleaning again and work you way up to 15 to 20 shots between cleaning. Just notice your groups on your targets. if it begins to open up it might need cleaning...each rifle is different and has it own personality and it will tell you whether or not you need to clean it....And be sure to pay attention to your fouling shots after you clean it. Some take two, some take three shots before the bullets. Don't worry, you groups will come in, just be patient. I have a 22-250 that takes 10 to 12 shots before I will start grouping...simply amazing...

Lets us all know what it like and the progress...next year you might want to upgrade your optic package.... 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad