New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New Type Chronograph  (Read 4140 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: New Type Chronograph
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 05:47:06 AM »
Jaeger - Thanks for the update. I am sure Dutch has read this post as well....keep tabs and notes on what to do and what not to do when you first sit it up.....

I hope my arrives sooner rather than later....thanks again...Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 07:12:21 PM »
Sounds very interesting Jaeger.  Based on the measurement technology they're using, I definitely expect that the recoil pulse on the bench could be a big factor if the bench isn't rock solid.  Wonder if you can simply mount it to a stake or tripod next to the bench to take that motion out of play?  Keep us posted.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2016, 08:04:02 AM »
Quick update before I go to work.

Was able to cancel my order with Lab Radar no problem.  They answered some other questions I had as well.

The manual and lab radar told me the provision for bluetooth is in the unit but the software is not yet developed, they said they are focusing on getting the units out there first.  Good for us as we may be able to influence what features we'd like to see in the software when they develop it, like viewing strings of muzzle velocities together, supporting a bench printer, etc.

I am ordering the air rifle/22 rimfire mic. package and the extra bracket for bow so I can use it with my cross bow.

They said the 4400ma cell phone charger I bought a office max would power it, I was concerned because they specified an 800ma unit and 5v@1amp or something.  I am going to order their battery pack as it comes with the velcro strips to attach it to the side of the unit (and it's in the cool cream color with the orange stripe to match!)

I will be very interested to see how well the base works in actual operation, the swivel screw mount is a little difficult/floppy to work with.  I will shoot a big gun, 375H&H or similar to see if the vibrations/recoil effect the readings or ability to track the bullet.
I think they or an aftermarket base may be needed, something with softer feet or vibration isolation.

I am going to try to get it out this weekend and hope to have a report for you guys then.  Planning on trying .22 hornet, 7x57 and a big gun.  I may try a 454 lever gun as well to see how the unit responds/tracks to a larger diameter projectile.

But I do want all of you to know that operating and programming it is Very Simple.  I put batteries in it and have been playing with it.  Scrolling through the menus and options and programming the setting it much simpler than my cuddie back trail camera and the icons at the top of the screen give an indication of the major elements programmed.  Fun!!

And I do hope you guys got to set up the "notify me" option on Midway USA.  It's not an actual order, just an email notification to you if they get more of the units in before you get yours from the company.  The people at the buy my lab radar were very cooperative in cancelling my order through them, had the confirmation within an hour of notifying them.

Oh, I did do the copy the latest download software from their site (main website) and registered my unit with them.  On putting the SD card in and powering up, nothing happend and I found my unit I got from Midway did have the latest version of software available.  When I downloaded the latest version onto the SD card, there was a memo of what updates were included.  In my case it said more sensitivity options were added so the latest version has 8 levels of sensitivity.  Mine already had that.

signing off for now.
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2016, 08:10:19 AM »
Sounds very interesting Jaeger.  Based on the measurement technology they're using, I definitely expect that the recoil pulse on the bench could be a big factor if the bench isn't rock solid.  Wonder if you can simply mount it to a stake or tripod next to the bench to take that motion out of play?  Keep us posted.

Hey Mad, sorry I didn't answer your question above, we can't see other posts when drafting replys.

If you can get it on a separate tripod or independent mount close enough it should work.  The maximum settable distance from the muzzle is about 18 inches I think and the closer the side of the unit (where the activation mics. are) the better it should work, lower sensitivity setting and less interference from adjacent shooters.

Jaeger
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »
No problem Jaeger, thanks for keeping the info flowing on this, it sounds like a really interesting piece of gear.  Good luck and keep the updates coming.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2016, 08:40:59 AM »
Tried it out yesterday with .22 hornet, 7x57 and .475.  Will post details when I can download and copy data and collect my thoughts.

But I do want you guys to know the Lab Radar $29 base was a major headache.  Wound up using a camera tripod.  It kept coming apart, the clamp on the socket ball wouldn't clamp the ball no matter how hard I tried to tighten it.  The unit flopped all over.  Perhaps I got a bad one. 

To use it, the thumb screw used to screw the base to the Unit is permenantly connected to the ball in the socket, so I had to turn the entire thing to screw the base to the Unit.  The biggest problems were the screw extending through the bottom into the clamp assembly kept coming loose and the clamp around the ball would not tighten up enough to hold the unit steady.

At $29 it may be too expensive to return it to Midway (UPS or USPS).  I may keep it an try to improve it or fix it.

Just wanted you to know.

Will follow up with a Positive Report on the Labradar itself when I get my data and thoughts together.

Jaeger
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »
So here is my initial report.

I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tested it out in my buddies back yard, He wanted to shoot from his dining room table out the slider but I was worried the glass would interfere, (and worried his wife would come home!) so we shot from his picnic table to a target at a measured 100 yards.

I got it set up on a 11" high tripod, sorry forgot to take pictures.  I set the distance to muzzle at 18".  The first shots produced no results until I checked the sensitivity and saw it was at "8", very low.  I reset the sensitivity to "1" and everthing started working. 
NOTE: I need to get a shorter, sturdy tripod.   The closer the muzzle is to the side of the unit the better the results and the lower the sensitivity can be used.

The muzzle velocity readout is large and right at your side.

Now that I got that out of the way, let me say do not try to play with it when shooting with an impatient shooting partner, give yourselves time to work through the menus, etc. between shots. I should have known better.

While I thought I understood the manual, I got confused and couldn't set new string up so all our shots went into the same string, any body want a standard deviation of about 285??  22's at 3000fps at the high end and 475's at 2050 at the low end.

I am going to try to attach the Excel spreadsheet so you can get an idea of the reports, they all come out in Excel.  Later, I'll try to print them out and copy them here.

One thing I did notice, was that in some reports, it indicated velocity dropping as a function of time and distance but then about halfway our, the report said the velocity was climbing back up.  Weird.

Ok, so doc.s with .xls tags cannot be attached.  I scanned them to pdf's but now the attachment box is saying the file is too large. how do I shrink it so I can post what the report and track files look like?

You get a Report for each series listing total number of shots, settings like fps,yds, etc. and a single set of stats.

The stats are Avg. velocity, high, low, extreme spread (1052.48 for all bullets!.22-475.) and std deviation

Following or under that is a list of the individual shots with shot Id, i.e. 2, 3, etc. Going across the report for each shot is the muzzle velocity, and the velocities at the distances you set, 11yds, 54 yds, etc. followed by the kenetic energies for muzzle and each distance.

Finally, the report, still going across the page for each shot lists the weight you programed for each shot and the time of day the shot was taken.

The unit also generates a "Track" report for each shot giving the time of flight, velocity, distance the bullet was sampled and the signal to noise ratio at that distance.  This was where some .22 hornets seem to speed up at a certain point, didn't happen with the other bullets so I'll check the snr's to see if the doppler was losing contact with the small dia. base of the bullets.

(would be really interesting to test different base bullets in the same caliber, boattails,vs flat base to see if there is any difference in ability to track it!).

I hope this helps you guys, I really want to give you a good idea of how it performed, but conditions I tried in were not even close to ideal.

It works great, no need to go around the bench and you can see the muzzle velocity in about 2 seconds in big beautiful numbers.

As far as comparing the muzzle and other velocities of shots within a single string, the Reports do an excellent job of it. 

I think being adept at re-setting the unit to a new series of shots quickly will be a skill we will need to perfect, I need to play with it more to be able to do that.

Questions?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:35:45 AM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 12:42:58 PM »
Jeager  Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to your next post!
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 06:54:42 AM »
Still owe you guy pictures and more data, I'll try go get it up soon, I didn't forget.

Haven't used it since, couldn't get to a range.  Working on fixing the factory base plate.

More to come.
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 09:34:34 PM »
Guys - My LabRadar came today! Got it out of the box put a 4 GB SD card in it that I had laying around, and six fresh AA batteries...went through the manual, got it registered, set it up for rifles and ran through the menus and set it up for rifles and what I think will be the best selections. Now just get more familiar with it before taking it to the range next week with me....am going to the range tomorrow afternoon but am not taking the LabRadar with me, just not familiar with it....

One thing I notice right off the bat is that you have to set it up for the bullet weight..so that means if you shoot a 338 Lapua, you are going to have to set it up for 285 grains. And in my case a 308 uses Berger bullets is 155.5 gns....

More later....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:36:43 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 07:06:19 AM »
Congrats Bo!!!!!

Smart move not taking it to the range  until familiar with it.  One thing tho'.  I think it needs to sample some shots to then be able to practice resetting it for a new string of shots.  I could do it in the house with no shots fired/recorded but when I shot at the range and a recorded shot came up on the screen, the steps to reprogram a new string were different. 

Quick note; the bullet weight only effects the energy calculations so leaving it at one weight will not affect the velocity data for several rifles/calibers.  Point being, if at the range and don't really need energies, we can simple reset the unit for a new string of shots and not worry about having to reprogram the weight each time.
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »
Jaeger - Thanks for the tips..was reading the owners manual again this morning...because of my dyslexia with letter and not numbers, it took me a while for the info to sink in...I have watched the You Tube Videos several times and go through the set up and will take it to the range next week. I will probably read the manual several more times to get familiar with the "sensitive" level before heading out...

Thanks again and will pass along more tips..will bring it up with me at SummerBlast 2016 in Bowling Greene, KY.... 

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 06:59:52 AM »
Got the LabRadar to the range yesterday finally and due to wind concerns, used it only on the 260 and the 308, did not use it with the 17 HMR...but this thing works great. Had to re-read the user manual yesterday morning before heading out to the range. I had set it up 18" from the barrel and slightly back. The Nosler book states that with the book load for the 140 gn ballistic tip, your velocity should be around 2655 fps...I was getting 2625 to 2645 fps with my loads..not bad...

What I want to do next after I get comfortable in using this Chronograph is to get my Magneto Speed Chronograph and compare the two and check one out against the other. That should be later in the summer...

Attached is a picture of the LabRadar Chronograph and the Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington...along with the best target so far....   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:05:05 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 07:35:47 AM »
Bo Glad you are putting you retirement to good use!  Your new job is working out well.  Another point of curiosity!  Using the same bullet,. but in a different rifle whats the fps? We have always seen  the effect on accuracy.  But what about fps, ke, ...  This tool can answer so many questions.

Thanks for sharing 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
Deerhead - About 8 fps difference between shots..not bad. My scales goes to 2 places example 55.55 gns instead of 55.5 gns. Not sure if that does any good or not, but I waited 7 minutes between shots....I am please with it so far, but the wind will was howling for sure.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad