New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New Type Chronograph  (Read 3776 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: New Type Chronograph
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 04:33:15 AM »
Dutch has found and sent me pdf of the owner's manual...thanks Dutch...I have began reading and thinking about it....will post my thoughts on it. I went back over the weekend and watched the video's again of the Labradar and each time I pick up something that I did not know before....

Saw where Caldwell has come out with their Chronograph for a shade over $100....two screens and tripod mount....interesting about the accuracy....in my last Gunhunter magazine under new products....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 04:38:59 AM »
I have the PDF manual from Labradar. If anyone else would like to read it send me a PM with your email address.

FYI Caldwell Chronograph; Best deal found so far http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/caldwell-ballistic-precision-chronograph-kit?a=1769673

I really don't like endorsing any non-sponsor merchant but for our members in search of a good quality chrony kit at a very attractive price I made an exception. Even their non-member price beats all other sellers. Just the bare chrony is best priced at MidWay.

As a favor to me and the prize team if you order anything from the link above let them know your a member of TH and would like to see them as a sponsor. Russcat tried to get them on-board but as with most vendors the red tape gets pretty thick. It may or may not help but it never hurts to try. Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:24:45 AM by Dutch-Hunter »
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 04:47:15 AM »
Thanks Dutch for the PDF on the Labradar.....

The stated Caldwell chronograph accuracy is +/- .25%  (.0025 x 3000 fps = 7.5 fps or a total of 15 fts) not bad if that is the real accuracy). For $110 or around that, it is not a bad deal...but like Dutch, I don't feel comfortable endorsing something I have not laid my hands on an play with it for a while....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Lizette

• Spike
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:07 PM »
This unit is not very big and itís quite light.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 01:59:43 AM »
Lizette - Do you have yours? Please post some pics of it if you do...Dutch or I have still have not gotten ours yet...hopefully before the end of the year. All the specs on it, it does seem light and around 12x12 inches. Hopefully the battery life will be as advertised. I still use and like the Magneto Speed 2.0, it is very easy to set up and use.

I can see it now, when I get serious about it, I will set up the Oehler 35P (which gives you two readings), the Magneto Speed, and the Labradar all at one time. I will have 4 velocities to average out the actual muzzle velocity....

Will post some pictures from the range when I get it in and set up.....

--09--0
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 04:27:34 AM »
Very interesting thread.  Looking to get a new chronograph myself and don't want the box/V-rods and sunscreens (Still using the orig. chrony!)

Any further comparisons or opinions between the Labradar and the Magneto?

Seems the Labradar covers it all, including bow, cross-bow, and pellet guns.

The Magneto seems more convenient for use at a public range where you cannot always get out in front of the bench right away to set up/take down or adjust it/tripod.

Labradar looks to be running around the mid $500's while the magneto V3 is in the mid $300's.  Both sound VERY interesting.

Ya think it may be a little improvement over my old cardboard Chrony?

Seriously though, any further impressions of one over the other?

Jaeger
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 04:39:34 AM »
Spoke too soon.  Just read ALL the Labradar material on line and see it sits beside the shooter not in front of the gun, pic on tripod threw me, solves the public range issue.

Still interested in updated opinions on labradar vs Magneto.

Labradar sold out until early 2016, no indication of how many back orders.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:02:11 AM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 07:57:05 AM »
Any one get their lab radar yet? 

I'm going to place and order but the website still has the old notice about available in spring 2016, that's what they said last fall.  I would expect the backlog has been extended.

Any reports on it yet?
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »
I'll be interested to hear about it too - could have sworn that around the end of the year I saw them listed in one of the shooting equipment catalogs but looked through the ones I have left & don't see it.  After fiddling around with my old traditional style chrony several times in the last month, I'm thinking that new style would be a big improvement in convenience.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
Mad - Still have not received it yet...did get an email from them stating that my would arrive late January....oh well, hopefully will be here in time for Summerblast 2016.... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
Well, I bit the bullet and placed an order for the Labradar on their own site.  I am psyched!!

I wonder how it will compare to my Chrony I bought back in the early '80's, Ha!

The Midway site still list them but with no backorder.

Their own site says components are coming in here in Feb. but their facebook page has some mention about 2020 so I hope I don't have to wait that long. 

I'm order no. 2369, anyone wish to keep us up with your order nos. and when they arrive?  Maybe it'll help the rest of us estimate when we can expect to see them.  Just a thought.

Jaeger
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:04 AM »
Ain't got mine either. OH WELL! "Range Day" will still be a HUGE success with or without this new toy. Plenty of other toys from our toy boxes to play with. Right Bo?

AH... How many trailers are you legally able to hook behind the Tundra? Maybe I should run the Pete down with a 53' van trailer, add your toys to mine. We may get close to max gross weight. You can be the "Bandit" run interference for me. With Split, metalman and hopefully Jap keeping my back door closed. This old driver would enjoy his time in the rockin' chair.  --099-780
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 07:05:48 AM »
I received an email from Labradar that my unit would be shipped "mid to late April".  It was from ? Mouser (name).

Unfortunately I am having trouble with my AOL account in that sometime when I click on "Keep As New" the mail dissappears, no where to be found.  Not in new mail, old mail, spam mail, or trash/deleted mail, Very frustrating and  has happened numerous time.

I won't hold my breath for an April delivery, unless I see they are getting a big delivery of components.

Will keep all informed. 

Good to know I can at least download the manual from their site, gives me something to play with!!
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 07:20:18 AM »
Just a quick update - I still have not gotten mind but did receive a email from Jaeger stating that he got his from Midway. Dutch and I ordered ours last Spring/Summer and still have not gotten them. Hopefully they are on their way to Dutch and mine house! Can't wait to get it! Sooner rather than later....

That means that three on this site will have this type of Chronograph and should be able to review it down to the gnat's hair. I'm sure we all three will put it through it paces.

Jaeger - When are you going to the range with it? 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 05:27:51 AM »
Cats out of the bag, I guess.  My LabRadar from Midway arrived this week.

I had ordered one directly from the LabRadar site and they indicated an approximate April delivery.

But I had also exercised the "notify me" option on the Midway site even though they stated out of stock/no back order.

Wonder of wonders, last week I got an email that Midway got some units in and I immediately placed and order for it, the case and the base.  The LabRadar arrived with the case and the base a day later. ( and yes, I was so excited, I checked the tracking number every couple of hours for the two days it took to arrive!!)

I am now going to call the Company and see if I have the latest version and If I can cancel the order I placed directly with them.  I may also have to order other attachments, mic.'s as discussed below.

So here goes;

First, I will probably not get to a range until this weekend, weather permitting.  May use a buddy's back yard.

Second, the base is way too big to fit in the case, I was a little disappointed in that as the case has a pouch in front and I though that was what it was for.  The swivel mechanism on the base is less than optimal.  The four plastic feet may require a perfectly flat surface or the base may wobble on the bench, no feet adjustments.

Third, a series of threads on RimfireCentral makes it clear that the unit has difficulty with .22's triggering the unit, apparently not enough muzzle blast and that an accessory mic. is needed to work with .22's.  (t is unclear if that author was talking about the sound wave from a 22 rimfire not being enough to trigger the sensors or that the base diameter of a 22 caliber bullet is too small to track).  The sound sensitivity is adjustable.

Fourth, because of the 22 cal limitations, I am leary of using the unit.  That's a lot of money for a Chronograph that has these limitations. 
But as you guys know, I'm mostly a big bore guy, 30 cal. plus, but with a slight love of .204's! (P.s., the same notify me option got me 6 boxes of hornady 45 grain .204 bullets, but I digress)

Fifth, the same RimfireCentral thread does say it has bluetooth, but they need to develop the software to make it operable.  Hopefully this will in the future allow an optional screen and software to view an entire string of shots.

Sixth,  the RC thread also says everything except the power of the unit can be upgraded via update software (a great thing!)

Seventh, until they upgrade the software, there is apparently no way to view several muzzle velocities of an individual string of shots simultaneously on the units screen or at the range.  One apparently needs to flip up and down through the individual shot data to compare all the muzzle velocities in a given shot string.

I may be wrong on this, but won't know until I power the unit up.  The owners manual makes no mention of viewing/reviewing the muzzle velocities of all the shots in a given string at the same time while at the range or on the unit's screen itself.

The above is NOT a review, just my initial impressions and some limitations of this type of chrono.   The fact that a guns recoil effects on the bench (read, chrono support/mount) may affect the operation of the device is something all of us probably didn't anticipate, at least I didn't consider it.  A heavy bench may be a must, but we'll see.

I'll probably get the nerve to power it up (meaning I'll keep it) and see how it works.  And hope our impressions and comments to the company will result in additional software upgrades and useful accessories.

It is very light,  I love that there are no screens in front of the bench (I shoot at a public range mostly where I can't keep climbing in front of the bench to move screens for different targets)

The Swivel attachment on the base plate is a little weak.  The RC reviewer also noted that using a tripod with a big bore gets mixed results as the recoil tends to shake the tripod (and thus the unit) upon firing.

I tried to be objective here, no opinions good or bad.  I do think I'll love this unit after I power it up, play with it and get it to the range.  If you have any questions I did not address, please ask.  I think a lot of us will be exploring the features of this new chrono together.

Oh yeah, I just remembered a big advantage for us techo's.  By being able to get accurate velocities at different distances, we may be able to get on computer programs, like ballistics.com's, and by incrementally adjusting the input BC to match the readout/measured velocity profile, be able to "back into" the exact BC for a particular bullet.  Neato!!
(hey,there is a first suggestion to the Co., the unit already has all the velocity data to calculate an exact BC itself, just need a program in the unit)
Jaeger
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:39:02 AM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

New Page 3

Google Ad