New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New Type Chronograph  (Read 3758 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
New Type Chronograph
« on: May 25, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
It is called Labradar: here is their webpage: http://www.mylabradar.com/ and their facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/mylabradar

Check it out...it is your on personal doppler radar...this looks very interesting....The actually gives you the actual velocity of your bullet out to 100 yards (and farther just depends on the size of the projectile. Smaller the caliber the less distance it will track it)..it was unveiled at this year's Shot Show and think it would be good any place at any time...I will put it on my wish list. Instead of buying another spotting scope, binoculars or scope will get one of these...it cost around $550 for the base unit...

I have two Oehler's and one Magneto Speed 3.0 all works very well, but they only give you a muzzle velocity and not actual velocity at 20 or 25 yard increments like the Labradar does....

Check it out and let me know what you think...check out you tube as well.....

(Well just pre-ordered one will all the accessories...should be here in August)

Knowing me will forget that I ordered it in a few months, just like the Ruger #1 in 270 Wea Mag, it took 2 years to get it in and when it came in I said what gun? I had forgotten and the case of the Sauer 200. I bought an extra barrel for it and it took almost 5 months to get in from Germany. When it came in I had forgotten that I had ordered it...LOL...daaaaa...another senior moment....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:35:40 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: New Type Chronograph
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:03:27 PM »
sounds very useful for you reloading types as well as for the rest of us
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
Yes, chronographs are very useful tools for reloaders.  Just make sure you have an adecuate shield in front of the unit, to protect it from stray shots.  Lol.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »
Bo - you better go buy everything you need before your memory goes completely and you can't remember what you need!    --099-780

Looks interesting - I could use something like that in the shop, but would want it to be able to track the actual trajectory and landing place of little springs etc which go launching off into the far reaches of the shop, never to be seen again.  All kidding aside, I will go do a little research on this.  If it can track something like an arrow or crossbow bolt, it will be really interesting to be able to compare the downrange impact of different heads, vanes, etc on the velocity.  True to Louie's advice about having a shield in front of the device, I've never had the guts to put my old traditional chrony downrange in order to measure velocity loss. 

I see a lot of people selling the magneto chrony now - if this Doppler device catches on I wonder if the existing styles stay around or get phased out . . .
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »
august is a long time to wait. must be popular or under produced

here's what I do to prevent 'senior moments'. i log it on my calendar w/ a reminder. I put all hunting and fishing seasons, b-days, trips, refunds... if I didn't, I would be lost. it gets extensive, but it works

sounds like a useful new toy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »
Yari & Mad

Since it was introduced at the Shot Show this year it should be a very good product. They made a few and have tested it on a bunch of rounds. Before I ordered mine, I watch every You Tube video on it three times. I can see it now, have the Oehler 35P set up, and the Magneto Speed strapped to the barrel and the Labradar setting on the table next to it....Wow three different velocities...wow....what a average...LOL...will take a picture of it....

Have used the Magneto for two years now and it is as good as it gets, easy to set up and use. You won't be disappointed in it...if you are a re-loader, then any chronograph is a good one. If you don't reload you can still see what your real time velocities are versus the velocities printed on the ammo box...The ammo box FPS is the average of 10 rounds (it is in the fine print)

Mad I know what you mean....today, I found the three manuals for my Oehler's and the Magneto and put them in a file pocket. When the Labradar comes in I will put the printed material in the folder. I also all the manuals in PDF format under my gun file

Yari - Yea I agree...I bet they are making a small lot at a time based on orders. I have not seen this being advertised or written about in any magazine...it should be interesting...

On this type of Chronograph, if I shoot 223 or 22-250, I might have to have the range to myself. For 270, 7mm and 30 caliber or larger, the Labradar should be able to tell the difference between my shoots and others on the range...that is my only concern...the smaller the round the shorter the distances it will be able to track. Wonder if it can track my 338LM  to a 1000 yards....LOL...yea right...   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:58:49 AM »
Seems to be the ultimate radar system.  It would be interesting to see how much downrange velocity id affected by various weather conditions, etc.  I wonder if it would be thrown off on a range setting where multiple people are shooting side by side.

Look forward to hearing how it works.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »
Bo
Thank is a real interesting Doppler chronograph! Can't wait to hear how it measures up to Magneto.  Its seems like it will be easier to setup/take down.  I guess data will be recorded electronically?  You will have more real ballistic data for tweaking! You will know exactly what is happening down range and not just a muzzle. Depending on the cost of accessories, it sounds reasonable for such advanced technology.       
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:27:06 PM »
Pretty cool stuff - I did a little web surfing to learn more about it - sounds very adaptable and easy to use.  Interesting to read that there's a significant difference in the range tracking between a flat based bullet vs. a boat tail.  Slower slugs with bigger cross sectional area yield the longest range (makes sense), but being able to track a .22 or better yet a .177 pellet or BB is amazing.   Wonder if you could measure fastballs with it!

Bo's description of shooting at the range with three different chrony systems reminds me of the old "Confucious say man with two watches don't know what time it is" saying.  Which one you gonna believe?   Anxious to hear what you learn Bo!
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 05:43:19 AM »
Just pre-ordered mine Bo. It does look promising. Thanks for the heads up.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 03:29:27 PM »
Actually it was unveiled at the 2014 Shot Show, not 2015....so it has been around a year or so and hopefully all the bugs have been worked out....

Funny - When I mention that I bought a Doppler Radar, folks thought I was going to chase storms. I laughed and told them that I am going to need a bigger truck for the Doppler...LOL...

Thanks for all the comments on this thing...Dutch and I should get ours about the same time and we will let everyone know how and if we like it......

Mad - Yes it can measure fastballs...the archery mode let you track velocities around 100 fps up to 750 fps, I heard that on the 9 minute YouTube video...it has three modes...all the way from 100 fps to about 4000 fps...it can track smaller calibers such as 22 and 17, just not as far as the larger calibers....

Deerhead you and Split, Metalman and Cobb guy will see it down at the club for work weekend...

Everyone should grab a cold one and watch the 9 minute video....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:07:47 PM »
Bo, as I was reading about it last night they indicated they had hoped to take it to market in 2014, but then a key member of the development team came down with some sort of severe illness and that resulted in some months of delay before they were actually able to bring it to reality.  I think they're still on the front end of the launch, but I was glad to hear that they were being pretty diligent about getting it right before putting it out there.  I'm sure it was frustrating for them to lose all of that time, but that will soon be forgotten if it performs as advertised.
and enjoy it!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »
Bo I will bring some guns work weekend so we can test it out.  You know for demonstration purposes of course  @--0--0123

I did not realize it could go storm chasing too  @--0--0105 ##$%#11
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 05:43:41 AM »
Mad - Thanks for the background on the Labradar. You are so right, when a key member comes down with a severe illness, that would throw any project down and in some cases even terminate the project. If you have anymore info, please pass it on or post it. It would nice to have some developmental history on the project.

After using the Oehler chronographs (33 and 35P) for many, many years, and three years ago I purchased a Magneto Speed (3.0) chronograph, I was very content with all of them, then this Labradar comes out and I am taken back by the technology is so advance. Just wonder what will be on the market in 10 years. The Magneto Speed is very easy to set up and does not take very long at all, just pay attention to the set up. When I get the Labradar, the set up should be easy, just got to find it. Would like to track some of my loads out to 200 yards at 25 to 50 yard increments. I will definitely use my levels for the Labradar set up. Left to right should be OK, uphill downhill will be critical. What to keep the bullet in it's "window" for the longest time, especially the smaller calibers.

Deerhead - OK sounds good, like all the triggers I have adjusted and replaced over the years for our club members, I am sure all the club members that read our post on the Labradar will also bring some toys on work weekend for demonstration purposes of course...LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »
Yari...I know what you mean about forgetting.  I don't have Alzheimer's but, I DO have "Most-timers".  I'll enter notes, etc. into the note thingy on my phone but, my problem is I forget to check that note thingy!! --099-780
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

New Page 3

Google Ad