New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Kimber trigger question  (Read 527 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Kimber trigger question
« on: April 13, 2015, 07:07:57 PM »
          I was wondering about how to adjust the trigger on a Kimber model 84m rifle. The action is a controlled feed design like the model 70 Winchester. Does the trigger adjust like the Model 70 Win trigger?

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Kimber trigger question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »
This is a good question for Bo...he has several Kimber's...(308's of course)... @--0--0105  He'll have the correct information for you. Congrats on your Kimber, a really nice firearm!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »
  I guess I will call a gunsmith. The trigger is set at 3.5 lbs and my other varmint rifle and my longrange rifles triggers are set at 2.5 lbs so I thought I would set them the same.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:43:46 AM »
Not - Hold off making that call...they are fully adjustable and after work today, will send you a PM and let you know how to do it...yes 2.5 lbs is very good...but don't shoot with gloves on like Mr Whitetail does...LOL...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 06:28:19 PM »
 Awsome thanks Bo

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »
Notsams - Attached is a couple of pictures of one of my Kimber 8400 308. I took the stock off to show you what it looks like inside.

Really simple, Kimber follows Winchester format in adjusting the trigger. But there are some important steps you MUST follow. If for any reason you fell uncomfortable in doing this then take your Kimber to a qualified Gunsmith let him adjust it for you. Watch him how he does it. I have adjusted hundreds of triggers and each year when I go to our hunt club, I take my tools with me for adjusting triggers. Also be sure to get your hands on a Lyman Trigger Pull gauge or a mechanical spring loaded gauge from Hornady or RCBS...these are relatively inexpensive.

If you look at the pictures you will see two screws, the trigger adjustment is the bottom one the one closest to the trigger. This is a 9/32 lock-nut you have to loosen. All adjustable trigger manufactures will put some sort of sealant from the factory in order to keep the trigger set at the factory setting. A 9/32 open end box wrench works the best or a very small adjustable wrench. You must first break the sealant from this lock-nut, this was very easy on both of my Kimbers. Turn the lock-nut counterclockwise just slightly. Once this is done, next step if to turn the set screw also counterclockwise. You are going to need a tiny, tiny Allen wrench. Turn only half turn of this smaller screw. Get out your gauge and pull it three times, write down the pull tension. If you feel like it is still to heavy, do another half turn then do your pull test over again. If it like you want it, then tighten to lock-nut down firmly. After rechecking your trigger tension again after you have tighten the lock-nut down, then dab some finger nail polish, rubber cement  - Do not use glue here..you will  find out why if you try to readjust it again....

Do not mess with the top screw, it is for creep. I did not mess with the top screw on each of the Kimbers. Let the sealant, finger nail polish dry over night or at least 4 hours. Then do the pull test again just for good measure. Put your Kimber back together again and torque you receiver screws down to 65 inch pounds, recheck it a few hours later then if the torque has held you are ready to go....

Hope this helps - but again, if you feel uncomfortable doing this please take it to your local Gunsmith and let him do it....PM me if you have any questions
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:49:50 PM »
   Ok thanks Bo I will adjust it first chance I get Thanks again.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »
       I adjusted the Kimber trigger today after work. It went well no problems at all. It took longer to gather the needed tools. I set it to 2.5 lbs. Thanks again Bo.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »
notsams...that is what I set mine at as well...I know what you mean when you say it took longer to gather your tools up than to adjust the trigger. What sealent did you use to set the lock-nut with?

Took Kimber #1 to the range yesterday and the target is attached. It was 100 yards, very windy 2.1 to 11.2 swirling, overcast, 45 F, 70.7%, BP was a surprisingly steady.
Since it has 12 twist in the barrel I have settled in on using 155 gn Berger VLD and Viht 140 powder.....

Glad I could help....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 08:22:18 PM »
   Bo clear fingernail polish (not mine).   We shot the .204 Kimber this weekend. 32 gr Nosler at 4215 fps and half inch groups. When I had the rifle apart I was very impressed with the aluminum pillars and the glass bedding job. The rifle seems to be put together with all the little things that make a rifle a step above the norm. Maybe my better half will let me shoot it. She likes it a lot and shoots it very good.

New Page 3

Google Ad