New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Which State Has Better Tasting Whitetail?  (Read 962 times)

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
Which State Has Better Tasting Whitetail?
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
Just wondering since it's been raining here all day....
Do deer taste different depending on which state they are harvested from?                  %^$^
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Which State Has Better Tasting Whitetail?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:26:15 PM »
it does depend on their diet. corn fed deer do taste different than a northwoods swamp buck. that said, meat care and prep go a long way. the only deer meat I couldn't eat was butchers poorly and that was a corn buck. my buddy had it processed and he just thought that's the way they tasted. it was nasty!!!! nothing could cut the taste

I've never had an issue w/ a deer I processed and I've shot some rutted up swamp bucks
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »
I don't know about tasting any differently, but deer I have shot in Texas had a lot less fat than the  deer I have shot in Michigan.  As far as taste, I couldn't detect any difference.  I don't know what their diet was in Texas, but in my area of Michigan, they do eat a lot of corn and soybeans, along with acorns, grass, etc.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
Back when we hunted NE Missouri we all thought the Missouri deer tasted better than Texas deer.

I agree with Yari though. Their diet and how they're butchered has everything to do with it.  But I have NEVER eaten meat from a mature buck, especially a rutting buck, that I thought tasted good.  To my taste buds there is no comparison when comparing bucks and doe's.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Capitolken

• 4 Point
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
Not sure which is best tasting - but do know some of those I took in New Jersey were pretty bad. Pennsylvania has a lot of laurel and the oil taints the meat - when I was a kid we used to soak it in baking soda and milk for a couple of days.

Here in New Hampshire, I just take it out of the freezer and put it in a pot! 
NRA Endowment Life member
NAHC Life Member
Pro Staff: Mossy Oak, Browning, Remington, Mossberg, H&R
Active Member NEOWA
NH Lifetime Hunting & Fishing License
NH State Rep 2011-2013
July '15 Prize Winner

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
Not sure which is best tasting - but do know some of those I took in New Jersey were pretty bad. Pennsylvania has a lot of laurel and the oil taints the meat - when I was a kid we used to soak it in baking soda and milk for a couple of days.

Here in New Hampshire, I just take it out of the freezer and put it in a pot!

Ken, I have been known to take the tenderloins right out when I'm field dressing my deer, and they go into the pot later that evening, or the next day.  The heart gets the same treatment!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
Indiana deer are corn fed along with whatever they want, and taste great!!
I have had deer from diffrent parts of the country and they all have diffrent tastes, but i liked them all!!
We hardly ever buy any beef or pork. We mainly eat venison in one form or another.  ##$%#111 ##$%#111 ##$%#111 ##$%#111 @--0--0118
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:49:55 AM »
I too agree its diet related. Deer are picky eaters.I have alot of swamp and wetlands on my property but,surrounded by farmlands.They know where the clover is,winter wheat when available and of course when the apples, acorns,and beechnuts drop,etc.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »
Deer I've taken near farmland tasted much less gamey than deer taken in woodlands with no farm to feed on.  I think diet affects things more then geographical region but have not sampled deer from more southern states etc.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »
I have had deer from IL, Wisconsin and Mo and the good old Illinois corn fed deer is tough to beat.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:03:07 AM by Snortweeze »
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
Not sure Alabama deer is all I've had but the ones around farm land do taste different from the ones in the pine thickets in south Alabama
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
I have only had deer from New York State and with Snortwheeze in Illinois so I cannot say if the locations affect the taste much at all. But I will tell you that how you clean, cool and butcher your deer is the most important thing.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 11:20:47 PM »
I tend to agree with Yari, although with all things being equal in terms of the care taken after the trigger is pulled, it's hard for me to believe a plump Midwestern deer loaded up with fat from corn/beans/clover/acorns won't be better than one that's lived a tougher life on trees and scrub.  I've heard a lot of people talk about how nasty a big buck can be, but I really haven't experienced problems with that.  The most consistently excellent eating I've found though comes from a button buck taken about late November/early Dec.  Here those will typically dress out at about 90-100 pounds, and yield a pretty good pile of tender meat.  Late in the season I've noticed they can be a little gamier - - have always wondered if it's because they're more stressed & eating different stuff, or if the aging process isn't as effective when I hang them for a day or two in colder temps, or ???  Biggest factor we can all control though is the way the animal is handled after the shot as Yari suggested.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
What yari said for the most part.

I've lived and hunted deer in New Jersey, Wyoming, and now Illinois for the past 39 years and I must say that our Illinois cornfeds that are killed with a clean shot and handled properly are hard to beat. I take it one step further and hang mine for a minimum of 5-7 days during gun season when it's colder before I butcher them and they are right up there with prime beef.

Many times I've killed does that had a good 1"+ of fat on their backs.

Now I'm getting hungry!!!
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

New Page 3

Google Ad