New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New archer new bow  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Watfordr

• Fawn
New archer new bow
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:24:25 AM »
New to this awesome forum, new to hunting. After years and years of fishing time for me to get into the archery world. Took some archery 101 classes tested a few Hoyt bows. After a great tax return I decided to go with a higher end bow Hoyt nitrum 34. Now do you guys think this was the right move being my first bow and jumping into a higher end one right off the back? And if you have any suggestions or good books be much appreciated I am tackling this hunting thing solo here in Washington being from Illinois and not knowing any other hunters

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
Re: New archer new bow
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
Welcome!! The Hoyt is a great bow and starting off on the higher end first is not a bad idea because if you enjoy archery then you won't have to upgrade in the near future which ends up costing more money in the long run.

As far as tips goes, find a nice archery shop and start with them. They will guide you in the right direction.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
Hoyt makes a nice bow.    My current compund bow is a Hoyt Xtec

Like many other things, the more you shoot the more you will determine what works for you and what does not.  Nothing wrong with starting with good equipment.  You will enjoy it more if you do not have to worry about equipment issues so much.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  And welcome to archery.  I agree. Starting with a high end bow is great. But you also need to get started using the proper form and building proper fundamentals.  I also suggest finding a local archery shop (not a big name store like bass pro or cabelas) and have them make sure the bow is set up properly to you. And take a lesson or two so they can get you started off right.  From there the fun starts as you practice practice practice and get better and better.  Once you have it down try a 3D range.  Shooting 3D is fun and great practice before hunting season.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »
You are always better off with high end equipment
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Watfordr

• Fawn
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »
Thanks for the advise glad I ended up going with the higher end bow. I did take a couple classes and bought my bow from a reouable shop that was more than helpin when it came to the adjustments. I just purchased bow hunting for beginners and Cameron Hanes backwoods books. Hopefully those will give me some guidance. Thanks for the welcoming everyone

Offline Capitolken

• 4 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »
Welcome - and yes higher end is always better, nothing like using a quality product. As a suggestion you may want to investigate classes offered by the manufacturer. There are a lot of times when they will be coming to the better shops or clubs in your area. I recall taking a week long class offered by PSE. It did not matter if you were using PSE equipment or not, the Russian coach taught us proper stance, back control, release and just what to expect. It was well worth the $200.00 I spent - in fact if they were coming back I'd go through it again!!
NRA Endowment Life member
NAHC Life Member
Pro Staff: Mossy Oak, Browning, Remington, Mossberg, H&R
Active Member NEOWA
NH Lifetime Hunting & Fishing License
NH State Rep 2011-2013
July '15 Prize Winner

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:10:02 AM »
I don't think you will be disappointed with a higher end bow. It is always good to see new archers and new talk hunting members.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline HoytShooter

• Oct/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Shoot Straight
    • My home page
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »
Welcome.  Bow hunting is the best.  IMO.  That is a great bow and you will have years of fun hunting with it.  Like others have said work with the pro shop to get your shooting form correct.  Another thing I will add is know your limits when you hunt.  In my experience I have found that if I can hit that 8" pie plate every time at 50 yards then I won't take a shot more than 40.  Yes I should be able to go to 50 but deer are not a pie plate.  I take 10 yards off what I am comfortable shooting for my max hunting range.

That bow you got is a very accurate bow and with practice you will find you can do very well with it.  Best of luck to you and enjoy archery.
Proud father of a Daughter serving in Navy
'11 Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus Blackout Bone Collector w/Z3 Cams
'12 Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT Bone Collector
41 years of hunting and fishing.
NRA Life Member

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
Welcome. Your off to a great start. Read Idiot Proof Archery by Bernie Pallerite. I got it from local library. Join a local archery club.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
It's already been said, you can't go wrong with a top end Hoyt. I'm shooting a AlphaMax 34 for several years and it was top end when I purchased it and it is still slinging arrows just fine. If your pro shop has helped you with getting the bow tuned and you practice often and with concentrating on form, you will be just fine. Like others have said, find you a good archery club to join and get to know the folks there, you will find a lot of expertise and knowledge from the members and they are always more than happy to get the new guys on the block up and running.

BTW welcome to talkhunting, glad you joined us and hope to see you around often. Never be afraid to ask your questions here, we have many many knowledgeable and willing to help members here also and not just with archery.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 06:05:48 PM »
Joining an archery club is a great idea. I belong to one and the people there are more than happy to help you with anything connected to shooting your bow. Form, arrows, you name it. Building a relationship with your local archery shop is also a great idea. Begin (if you haven't already) to buy your gear and arrows, etc from them even if they cost a little more. You will gain much by doing so. Some shops don't like to work on bows if you bought them elsewhere but others are just interested in you being a good archer and will hope that through that you will begin to purchase your gear there. You can buy stuff cheaper elsewhere but I would recommend buying whatever you can from that shop. I need someone I can trust and rely on with my archery gear. I still rely on him for recommendations based on his experience. I still have my own mind on many things but it's nice to have someone to go to. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
Welcome and keep posting. I went with Hoyt after visiting a Pro Shop after to many issues with bows I got at the big box stores. Best of luck to you!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »
Tons of great advice on here.  Number 1 - get a bow that fits you, number 2 - shoot in the presence of others who have knowledge and can coach you on form (keep in mind that if your goal is to hunt, you should practice drawing with a stance that will simulate your hunting situation - a small tree stand platform for example, and perhaps drawing from a sitting position), number 3 - practice until it all becomes second nature, then keep practicing.  At least on occasion, make time to go back to #2 - you can slip into some bad habits over time & not realize it.   Aside from that, buy the best equipment you can afford, but don't get overly obsessed with the fastest bow, highest draw weight, or lightest arrows - - a quiet and smooth drawing bow with matched shafts & sharp broadheads will add more deer to your freezer than a hot-rod setup with a tough pull & extra vibration at the shot.  Will also be an easier setup to maintain in the long run.  A good pro shop is a great way to go for 1, 2, and 3 above, particularly if you don't have a way to practice at home.  Best wishes to you!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 09:13:14 PM »
Welcome to TH, Watfordr!  this is a great forum, with a lot of knowledgeable folks and willingness to share.  I don't bowhunt any more, but I still have one bow and all my arrow making equipment.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad