New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: NY State and the Fisher population Management  (Read 470 times)

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
NY State and the Fisher population Management
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »
NY State Conservation is finally looking into a Fisher Management plan for the next ten yrs.They are accepting public comments.They are looking to maintain or enhance the Fisher Populations.They want to establish a trapping season in the Central and Western regions .They want to limit the season to one fisher per season. Having fisher on my land in Stockton (Southern tier of Western NY) I have seen the turkey populations plummet.Mainly because they like to raid their nests.I have witnessed them yearly cavorting through my swamp grass on the edges of my Hemlocks.They are neat to see but, like the Coyotes they are over staying their welcome.NY has waited too long to act on this issue.Farmers and trappers alike have been noticing them for years and watched their populations grow as well as the Otter.I and we just think the States actions are a little too late.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: NY State and the Fisher population Management
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »
yep my mom saw one three years ago and we have much less turkeys around now
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
I have seen 2 fisher near me in the last 10 years as well as 1 martin.  The only good thing about them is that I am seeing a lot less porkys on me

Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
they are fun to watch, but they do take a toll. I haven't seen a rabbit for 20 years by me. I think the wolves are taking a lot of them out though. it use to be very common to see them while hunting. now it's rare
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »
I am not at all pleased to see them on our land...have caught just their tail ends on my cams the last 3 years and have sat in the blind and watched them run through my woods during deer season...They are fast ...big..and mean...never mind the fact that they steal eggs and eat chicks....but they are able to climb which leaves the turkeys with no defenses at all. I have to ask...Why spend so much time money and effort in getting NYS's turkey populations up...just to manage a predator that can devastate them..We are also loosing all our Grouse. I keep cutting my poplar and I'm putting forth an effort to maintain nesting and food in hopes they recover, just to have these come in and erase my efforts. There was a time not long ago I couldn't walk in the woods I didn't near have a heart attack flushing grouse...our woods sang with their drumming...now I have one small spot in which they nest.
 I do understand that some of these small predators are managed to keep them from being trapped to extinction...history shows how easily that could happen...but this isn't then and we have fewer people wearing real fur...and far fewer trappers surviving on that industry...fewer small game hunters selling pelts far less open trappable and huntable lands....POPULATIONS are EXPLODING on private properties that are usually just recreational, deer or turkey lands...it's time to have a bit more common sense put into play with these plans. Skunks,opossums,raccoon and now fishers have to be looked at differently.I'll also add feral cats...they are not your cuddly little house cat...once the go feral they are wild animals...predators period...fines and jail time for killing feral cats  on woodland properties is beyond crazy.

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
Count my vote and opinion with Growalot!
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

New Page 3

Google Ad