New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Silencers/Suppressors: Questions for Gun Geeks  (Read 809 times)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Silencers/Suppressors: Questions for Gun Geeks
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:01:24 AM »
Do they change the accuracy of a rifle?  If so, is it because it changes the harmonics?  If so, are there adjustments you can make to your load, or anything you can do to regain the accuracy that you had before the barrel was threaded and silencer added?

I'm curious what the experts opinions are on silencers.   Are you guys seeing them at the ranges?   
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Silencers/Suppressors: Questions for Gun Geeks
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
Don't have one myself, yet, but they really are most effective with subsonic loads which will definitely require a adjustment of sights as the reduced velocity will most likely have some affect on point if impact esp over longer distances.    How much will depend on what you are starting with.

I really can't say if it affects harmonics, etc.

I will say that even with the best load they never seem to be as quiet as Hollywood would lead us to believe.    LOL

That's pretty much all I can offer, I'm sure there some here with much more knowledge than I on the subject.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »
I understand it could change the point of impact.  But does it effect the consistency of the point of impact?
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »
I have one on my patrol rifle, AR-15, and two more of our guys do also. I know they did change the point of impact from just screwing the suppressor on.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »
From what I understand, suppressors work better when the round is subsonic.  Given that the bullet is travelling at a slower speed, your trajectory is definitely going to change.  I don't have any personal experience, but IMO, I would think that if your load is tailored correctly, taking in consideration your barrel twist, bullet type/weight, and speed, your accuracy shouldn't suffer, but your range would be shorter.  Also, perhaps just as important, practice, practice, practice. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »
I understand it could change the point of impact.  But does it effect the consistency of the point of impact?

Not that I am aware of.   I think once you make the initial adjustments you are good to go.  But I am commenting based on what I have heard, not what I have actually experience myself.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »
The harmonics will definitely change. Therefore POI will change too. There are different styles and types of suppressors and they will have different effects. I only have one and if is for Ol' Rem the 223. By today's standards it's a dinosaur 23" long 2.25" dia, weighs 6.75 pounds. I have a special barrel to use with it. I had to gather my dope when using it so the POI was exact. As I recall the rounds wound drop an additional 2" at 200 and spray left .75".

Check your states rules quite often you must register them and pay a special tax.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:19 AM »
My buddy has one on his .308 and it did change the POI when he first out it on' sonc ehe made his adjustment all ha sbeen good.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Capitolken

• 4 Point
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »
I have GemTek Suppressor mounted on a Rem 700 Varminteer in .308. I use this for deer reduction services so definitely want an accurate firearm. The Suppressor does a few things - not sure that changing POI is one of them, I do believe that it does increase my ability to be consistent whether using factory or sub-sonic ammo.
Adding the extra length of a suppressor does increase velocity if only 50 or so foot pounds. Additionally, the suppressor almost eliminates muzzle jump and certainly lessens recoil so that the 'flinch' reaction in anticipation is negligible. I can and have placed the firearm with bipod down and sand bag under the butt peeked through the scope and just touched the trigger and get constant groups of 3 shots that can be covered with a dime.
If using sub-sonic the groups get even tighter and I leave the range much better off for the wear.
NRA Endowment Life member
NAHC Life Member
Pro Staff: Mossy Oak, Browning, Remington, Mossberg, H&R
Active Member NEOWA
NH Lifetime Hunting & Fishing License
NH State Rep 2011-2013
July '15 Prize Winner

New Page 3

Google Ad