New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Growing Up In So Many Ways  (Read 677 times)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Growing Up In So Many Ways
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:02:12 AM »
My son Logan is growing up fast.  He's 10 now.  It's amazing to see him figuring things out.  Not just in hunting but in life.

Sunday morning Logan harvested his first deer.  He was by himself in the blind when it happened.  He went through the entire event alone and I wanted to share something he did all by himself.  Something I am so very proud of. 

All I've heard from him all season is how bad he wants to shoot his first deer.  And I wanted it for him more than anything.  But I know my son like a book.  He has a very soft and sympathetic heart.  I've wondered how he would handle it when he did finally take the life of a deer.  I always thought I would be at his side when it happened and would help him with the emotions I knew he would struggle with.  He struggled a little with killing dove when he first started dove hunting and actually shooting his own birds.  I have had many discussions with him about that and how it is okay.  How God put these creatures on Earth for us to hunt, and he made them nutritious for our bodies.  I've always told him not to kill for the sake of killing.  But to enjoy responsibly what God has put on earth for us.  And to always thank God for his harvests and all will be okay.  But as you all know, deer seem to have a soul.  There is something different about taking the life of a deer.  And I really thought Logan would struggle with his emotions when it finally happened.

Sunday when it all took place I couldn't help to think about this as I was driving to where he was waiting on me with his deer.  I was fully prepared and ready for damage control and ready to give my best sermon in making him feel good about what he had done.  But I didn't need to.  When I arrived, Logan was standing over his deer proud with a huge smile on his face.  A smile I have never seen.  He was glowing.  I hugged him and congratulated him.  As his grandfather and I proudly listened to Logan's detailed account of what had taken place I thought to myself he is okay with all this.  And he was.

I was going to offer a prayer.  When I asked Logan if he would like to have a prayer he said, "No I have already prayed to God and he said this was Okay."  I then asked him, "Are you okay with this?"  Logan said, "Yes.  I am okay dad."

God sent me and his grandfather away so HE could go through this first experience with Logan.  God did this.  God took over.  I realized that when Logan told me that God told him it was okay.  Sure I wanted to be there with him.  But his father in heaven wanted him all to himself.  And I'm okay with that. ....

I just wanted to share this side of what happened.  My boy is growing up in so many ways.  He took his first deer alone in the blind with God holding his hand.  And he thought on his own to pray to God to thank him for the gift that was laying on the ground at his feet.  This made me more proud than him taking the deer.  God blessed him and he knew it.  And he was okay with it!

The story of the hunt is here in case anyone who hasn't seen it yet would like to read it.  http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=41450.msg646136#new
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:06:23 AM by russcat »
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Growing Up In So Many Ways
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
It also says a lot about how you have prepared him for this moment.   Well done to both of you, it's definitely a achievement he (nor you)  will ever  forget.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:45:50 PM »
nice prep work. you did well, as did he. I love the black and white pic
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »
Don't blink Dad, the years fly by incredibly fast - enjoy every second you can with the boys, but realize as you noted above that there are some things they're gonna have to do on their own - it's all part of that journey. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
That account really touched my heart! Nice work Dad. You have prepared him well and yes, he is growing up. Sometimes that growth comes when there is only God there to talk to. Congratulations to both of you!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 07:35:56 AM »
Congrats to you and Logan, Russcat!  Thank you for sharing, that is a very moving story.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
When it come to your children we do our best to prepare them for what's coming in life and i sounds like he was well prepared nice job!! For me I have found that the things we fear the most for our children are the things they are most prepared for because we prepare them without realizing it-- by setting an example daily. Sounds like you got a great young man on your hands Hoss carry on!!! Congrats again to Logan on his first deer- God always knows the way.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
Good prep work , good job , you will be surprised how fast they grow from here .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

New Page 3

Google Ad