New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Bearclaw's Journal  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Bearclaw's Journal
« on: January 10, 2015, 03:42:44 PM »
Has been an interesting and educational season. Never too old to learn.
#1 Set up a decoy (Renzo doe) but had to set it up farther to my right than I wanted due to the wind. Set it up right next to some thick saplings. I sprayed some doe in heat in the air, did some bleating and soft grunting and a 4 point comes racing to the decoy but stops and looks from behind some trees. Walks a little more and stops behind some trees. Finally walks straight to the decoy about 10 yds in front of me. Didn't want to draw because he was right there but figured if he got the saplings and behind the decoy would figured out it was a fake and take off so I tried to draw and he saw the movement. He jumped back behind some trees. Head covered and body exposed. So I draw again and he just walks away casually like he could care less and I watched him walk out of range and down the hill. I wanted to set up the decoy further down range (20 yards) so a deer would walk on a 45 degree angle and not see me draw but...

#2 Had some doe in heat out and a doe came in within 10 yards and ready to step into the shooting lane but put her nose in the air, smelled the lure and decided she wasn't ready and took off!

#3 Had a doe come down behind me that had normally walked across this flat. She saw the decoy (another set up) and decided she didn't like it and walked down away from me and no shot available.

#4 Had a deer come down behind me (I had fallen asleep) and I heard it coming and stopped right behind my stand to my left. I slowly turned to the right and saw another doe coming down so I began to reach for my bow. She didn't see me and she stopped right where the other one had. I waited and waited and no deer. Not even a twig snap or a leaf move. I finally turned around and no deer! I then realized that while I was reaching for my bow and watching doe #2 I had forgotten about deer #1 that probably saw me reach for the bow. I assume he/she informed doe #2 that things were not right in this tree and somehow they walked away without a sound!

#5 Took a bad shot on a small buck and hit him but got mostly fat and some blood on the arrow. (Clothing issues but totally my fault) Looked for him that afternoon and the following day and totally lost the blood trail amidst hundreds of tracks in some pretty thick laurel. Felt like I was gutshot. Felt so bad I didn't even post on here for awhile I was so disgusted with myself. I have since corrected the clothing issues.

#6 Had two does come in right under my stand  (during the doe portion of our rifle season) but caught me off guard and then heard some of my clothing rustle (another clothing issue) and took off!

#7 Had two does come in during our buck/doe muzzleloader season and took the larger doe. I have posted the story and pics on TH.

Hoping to get out again for our late bow season but it's been an eventful season and the opportunities were there but just couldn't close the deal. No complaints here about not seeing deer. I did learn or re-learn a lot this season. The minute you get lazy or careless there will be a deer standing there but not for long!

It's been a good season for me!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline gander

• 8 Point
Re: Bearclaw's Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »
sounds like an eventful year....so true about getting lazy....that is always the time one shows up and you get busted or equipment malfunction costs you....glad to hear you are seeing them

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
Just found this forum a few days back and am enjoying reading the accounts.  All the little mistakes add up to the making of a good hunter if we can remember why things failed before. 
We're in Florida panhandle and have till the end of Feb. to deer hunt, the rut is just now beginning, heard several good tales of successful hunts this week. 
Me, I'm waitin' for a release from the doc on the 20th, so I can get in a stand with my new hip joint late that afternoon.
Treefarmer

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »
i'm not sold on decoys, especially in low deer density areas like where I hunt. my deer get very nervous.

sounds like a fun season. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »
Nice write up BC. Just goes to show EVERYTHING matters, especially bow hunting. It is so easy to make mistakes. The game changes when they are within bow range.  I think it is safe to assume you won't forget these mistakes and all of them will make you a better bow hunter moving forward.  You are holding yourself accountable which is the best thing you can do.  We see a lot of guys make excuses instead and never learn. They make the same mistakes and excuses over and over and never step up their game. My dad has done this his entire life. Stubborn old mule he is.  He's sees all the preparation and attention to the small details that I go through and kids me about it saying it's overkill.  Everything I do, wether setting up feeders, stands, food plots, clothes storage, scent control, EVERYTHING,  I'm trying to head off mistakes by paying attention to small details, and running scenarios through my mind, so when I am in the stand better things happen.  Ol Dad just continues his same old ways. He has fun though.  But my "wallpaper" looks much better than his! 

Congrats on a nice season Bearclaw.  Glad you got some venison in the freezer.  You made memories you can shares around the fire for years to come.  And you are a better bow hunter now than you were 2 months ago!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »
Glad you had a fun season Bearclaw
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
Glad to hear you had a good season Bearclaw, great stories!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »
Need to add an addendum to my journal, Don't know how I forgot this one! Was sitting in my friend's stand on his mom's property we hunt when I heard all this crashing in the woods across from me. Sounded like a cow coming through it was so noisy and then it just stopped. I watched and waited and here comes this huge bodied buck. Antlers weren't huge but I could care less about the rack. He was just a big deer! He came out of the brush and walked straight to me and never offered a shot. Walked under my stand so I turned to see if he might give me a quartering shot but he heard the seat shuffle (another lesson learned this season) and turned around and came back about 15 yards from the stand and stood in a small opening in some thick laurel but not enough for me to get a shot. Pretty exciting but that was just the beginning. Twenty minutes later two other bucks come down this old road and stand out of range. Then a third buck comes down and he starts coming down crossing in front of me around 10 yards. I decide to try and take him and wait until he goes by so he doesn't see me draw. All is working well (the other two bucks were still in the road) until I drew back and started lining him up as he had stopped and then the unthinkable happened. The stand I was using was a better rifle stand and had the two steel posts for the shooting rail attached. Just as I was making the final lineup my bow hit the shooting rail post and the buck took off! The other two wondered what happened but never spooked but just wandered off the other direction and never offered a shot. Four bucks in 25 minutes and there I sat thinking how it could have been a lot different if I had paid attention to what I was doing. I knew that rail was there but in the moment I was focusing on the deer and the shot. Pretty exciting morning and more lessons learned for next season!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:13:35 AM by Bearclaw »

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 08:13:36 AM »
Bearclaw...might have to put it down as not meant to be this year and re-group with what you have learned for next year.As Russcat said so many of us put in the extra effort to make things happen.His father sounds like my brother in law....he laughs at me for being anal about scent and everything as he is one of those guys who just seems to have a big one walk out to him every year no matter what.First time last season a big one busted him thirty yards in front of him...he was going to take a front shot and the wind was wrong....it caught him and bolted just as he shot.We did a good job checking but found the slug in the big hole in the dirt..no blood or hair.First time I ever saw him walk out with his chin in the dirt..lol.
It,s all part of the game and these little mistakes we make are for learning and even bring a smile to our faces when we know theygot the best of us...this time.
Next year is a new game.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 08:21:31 AM »
I am like you and others on here and I am very detail oriented about scent and all the things we do to get deer into range but it's also the things we do while on stand. I had no problem with movement (well once) or scent issues this year but things I did while in the moment and just wasn't careful enough. I was very disappointed in myself because I normally don't do those stupid things but I humbly accept what happened and resolve next year to take these lessons and try and do better! I was happy with the season and the doe I got with the muzzleloader in the freezer but archery hunting is my passion. I'd rather get one with the bow anytime! Humility is a great teacher and here in my older years I am still never too old to learn!

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 08:40:28 AM »
All I can add BC is when your in the stand run through scenarios in your mind and plan out your reactions to those scenarios.  I even practice retrieving my bow and drawing in different directions to make sure I'm all clear.  I'll plan out when I'll stand up, draw, etc.

Then when you think you have it all figured out here comes that buck and does something you never planned for! Lol.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »
that's why it's call hunting an not killing. I've had bucks coming on a string until a tree pops from the cold and he freaks out and bolts. they don't get old by being calm.

sounds like a great day. enjoy the memories
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 05:47:13 PM »
It really was a great season and lots of memories! More opportunities for an archery deer than I have ever had but couldn't close the deal. Hunting indeed! If it was easy, everyone would want to hunt! No complaints here!

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »
Amen brother.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"