New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Viking1204's Hunting Journal  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
Re: Viking1204's Hunting Journal
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 08:42:13 AM »
Here's the pic, leaving Thursday to head back up to find the monster I saw Monday morning!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 11:24:53 AM »
Well I never did see that monster again last season nor any other deer worth shooting! The good news is bow season opens up Saturday and I've never shot a deer with a bow. I'll probably just hunt the mornings due to how warm it's going to be in the afternoons.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
Well didn't get any hunting in for bow season but started Rifle season off with a bang! Hunted Sat. thru Tuesday before Thanksgiving and then Friday thru Sunday after Thanksgiving.

We were seeing a lot of mature Does with young fawns so we let them pass. Then this past Saturday morning I lean forward in my chair and see a medium size Doe for our area and a Fawn not 50 yards away at 6 am. Then this bigger Doe walks out, one I would consider a shooter if she has no fawns which she doesn't. I go to line her up for the shot and medium size Doe chases her offer trying to kick her. The big Doe leaves the field to the left and the medium size Doe and her fawn exit right, don't see them again that morning.

That evening hunting the same stand a fawn comes out at 3:25 pm and leaves at 3:30 pm. Then at 4 pm after I had just got down to pee and was climbing back up in my stand and putting my jacket on a big Doe for our area walks out at the end of the field about 110 yards away looking straight back in my direction. I'm still standing on the ladder not completely through the trap door and in the shooting house. I slowly slide up into the shooting house staying low and slide into the chair. Doe puts head down to eat some greens and I grab my trusty Marlin 30-30 and line her up and Bang, she jumps in the air and trots into the thickets.

I wait 5-10 minutes pretty confident I hit her since she jumped straight up. When I go down to where she was standing I find good blood and start trailing her through the thicket, she must have changed directions 4 or 5 times and went through openings I never thought a deer would choose. After about an hour of trailing this zig sagging blood trail I kneel down and shine my flashlight in a circle and see a white belly not 20 yards from me, yes, I found her! She's been dead a while, good shot just behind the shoulder though both lungs with a chunk of rib missing from the hole on the exit side!

God her back to camp and we guess she weighed about 100 lbs based on past deer her size shot, the scale broke weighing her so maybe she was 200 lbs LOL! Anyways, great to have fresh deer meat in the freezer,, going to make the rest of the hunting season pretty stress free! 
Air Force Veteran

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 12:36:08 PM »
Viking, you need to drill a hole in the floor of your shooting house, preferably in a corner.  Then run a length of garden hose to about 6-8" off the ground.  fasten it to one of the legs of the shooting house with large staples, or conduit clamps.  Stick a funnel on the end that's in the shooting house, and just pee away.  Won't have to leave the shooting house.  lol.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:43:09 PM by MichiganLouie »
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 02:06:10 PM »
LOL, that's been done, the one stand we did it in is called the Urinal Stand! Rodents chewed the funnel and hose up. It was the perfect setup. funnel attached to a hose and run down the telephone pole into the creek behind the stand!

I managed to get down and Pee without a problem, it's when I was standing on the ladder to put my jacket on that almost got me busted. The shooting houses have no more than a 5' roof on them so at 6'4" tall it's much easier to stand up on the ladder through the hatch door and put my jacket on when temps start drop in the evening!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
Well the December Lull where I hunt definitely exists! 2 weeks ago I hunted and saw deer almost every time I sat on stand. This past weekend there were 3 of us hunting and the only time any one of us saw deer was on the first morning, a medium Doe and a couple of fawns were spotted but that was it for the rest of the weekend, I didn't see a single deer myself.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
Hunted last weekend leaving on Monday and saw a few fawns, a young Spike and a young Doe. The Spike seemed to a bit interested in the Doe so maybe they're getting close to rutting. If I'm lucky the cold weather this weekend combined with the upcoming full moon gets them going. I'll be in the woods Jan. 6th thru Jan. 16th hoping to catch the rut on Jan. 12th. Last year on got my Buck on the morning of the full moon!

I'm really happy Anthony will be joining me this weekend, he's going to hunt with me for a few days before heading back to Troy for his second semester of college!
Air Force Veteran

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
good luck.

I went to troy for my first national competition. it was one of the prettiest campuses I've ever seen. good luck to him
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »
Well I see I've neglected this thread LOL! In summary I shot a nice Doe hunting on my Florida lease the first 90 minutes of hunting last season and didn't get another deer the rest of the year. Like last year I'll be going up with a friend to hunt in Attala County, MS near Goodman, MS, leaving tomorrow morning and hunting through at least Sunday. Now that I know the property better hopefully I'll have better luck this year, going better prepared too!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »
Good luck! When I hunted Geiger, Al 2 hours east of you it was prime time to see bucks moving! I hope that will be the same in MS
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 11:42:51 AM »
Shot a Doe this past Thursday in MS, finally some deer meat back in the freezer! No Buck but do know there are a few still hanging around, going back up next Thursday to hunt for 5 days to close out the season. Will be brining my climber so I can post up in the heart of the area a couple of big bucks have been hanging out. Going to hike my climber in quietly!
Air Force Veteran

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 02:46:54 PM »
good luck. finish strong!
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 10:23:57 PM »
Now your talkin'!  Wish I could still use my climber, that was the most enjoyable hunting when I was a little bit younger.  Ease into a place, ease up a good tall pine tree and enjoy God's creation and maybe even give Bambi a ride home in the back of the truck.  Good luck, find a good one!
Treefarmer

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 02:32:15 PM »
Thanks guys, the tree I've identified is a middle aged oak with a very straight smooth trunk, I don't have to do anything to it to slide up it with my climber! I have a river behind me so the area creates a kind of funnel as the older bucks like to travel along the levee. I've planned this trip with the weather forecast in mind, looks like when I get up there next Thursday evening I'll have 4 days of sunny weather with highs in the upper 40's, no bugs, just great hunting weather in the great outdoors!  -0078
Air Force Veteran

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »
Great plan, go for it and good luck!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad