New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Viking1204's Hunting Journal  (Read 5467 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Viking1204's Hunting Journal
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
 @--0--0101  have fun stay safe see lots of big bucks
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 04:19:12 PM »
Wow, very quiet in the Hunting Journal section, I can't believe I'm the only one still hunting1  --7-8-9 Well leaving today to head North for my last 9 days of hunting this season1 Hopefully hunting 9 days in a row will change my luck, time will tell! I should have an update when I get back Feb. 9th, till then you all take care.

Stay at it partner.  @--0--0101

They tell me truck harvests done count!!!!  @--0--0117 RULES!!! GOOD GRIEF!!!  --099-780
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
Good luck Viking.  I hope the deer finally comes out in groups and give you options to choose which ones to take.

I'll be hunting in Arkansas to end my season as well.  Bow season runs through the end of February there.      %^$^

NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »
Well I finished the season getting one spike that I shot thinking it was a good sized Doe. His antlers were both broke off. I also missed a nice 8 pointer who made a bee-line to the woods when he heard my chair squeak, my shot was just a tad late as I clipped a small cedar tree branch. Bummed that the season is over but glad to get some venison for the freezer!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
Congrats on the deer! Meat in the freezer is a good thing! Way to stay with it!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
 @--0--0118     ##$%#11

Way to go Viking!  Glad you had deer in range opportunities and have freezer meat.

NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Alright, time to revive this. 8 days until rifle season begins and I'll be in the woods trying to improve on last years totals!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »
Well great weekend for the opener but not so great as far as deer movement goes. Saw a total of 4 deer, most likely all bucks. 2 never stopped and passed by a field in the woods never stopping to offer up a shot at around 130 yards.

The other 2 gave me an opportunity but scope glare ruined the chance. With about 10 minutes of shooting light left and an orange glow from the setting sun in the sky a small deer steps out in a clover field at about 180 yards away looking West towards where the sun had just set, just behind this small deer is a Buck that looked twice the size of the small deer I now assume was probably a spike since he was hanging with the big boy and we have lots of pictures of Bucks hanging out together. I can clearly see them through my Leopold binoculars but when I go to look through the scope I see nothing but glare, most resembling a thick fog and I can't see the big Buck let alone the field through the scope due to the glare. I never thought the orange glow left behind from a sunset could affect visibility through a scope so bad, I installed a sunshade on the scope hoping it would help but it didn't. It's a Nikon M-308 so not a cheap scope by any means.

So last night when I get home I'm online researching scope glare problems because this is now the second time I've lost a deer with that scope mounted on my Ruger American .308. I thought the sunshade would fix the problem but it did not. After researching online I find that they sell anti-glare devices that go on the end of a scope that has a waffle design you look through and is supposed to help with the glare. I see they run between $50-$100 and I'm thinking I need to buy one but then I read online that the Nikon M-308 should come with one and sure enough I open the box to my M-308 and there it is. Now I just need to test it out this Thursday evening when I head back up there. The glare problem is really frustrating but it was still an enjoyable time at the hunting camp and seeing mature Buck's step out into a field during shooting light this time of year is a good sign since the rut is still a couple months away.

Thursday I'll have an early Thanksgiving meal and then I'll be heading back up there to hunt through the weekend so we'll see if I'll have any better luck.  --09--0

Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 01:13:03 PM »
Well no luck this past weekend but with temperatures in the mid to upper 70's it doesn't surprise me, deer seem mostly nocturnal if the camera pics are any indication. I did solve the problem with the scope glare detailed in the thread below. My next trip up will be the weekend of December 11th, hopefully the weather will have cooled by then.

http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=43083.0
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 12:37:06 PM »
Well this weekend was another warm one with temperatures in the mid to upper 70's which is 15-20 degrees above normal. I saw a nice doe or spike cross a trail leading to a green field but the deer never stopped for even a second to offer me a shot. It appeared out of the woods on one side of the trail and entered the woods on the other side of the trail in about 2 seconds. 2 of us were hunting some of our most reliable stand sites on 110 acres this weekend and the deer I saw Sunday morning was the only one either of saw over the 2.5 day hunt. I was thinking about going back up Christmas weekend again but it looks like it could be warm again so I might pass.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
Well I'm starting to believe those old hunting/lunar calendars that tell you when the best times are to hunt and fish. I hunted pretty much all day Friday through when I left Monday afternoon to head home over New Year's weekend and I didn't see a single deer even though the temps were nice and cold by our standards for deer hunting. Calendar said it was a 1 star weekend and I'm starting to believe it! Next weekend Friday to Monday is a 3, 5, 3 & 3 start weekend so I'll be back at it, we'll see what happens, supposed to be warm for the first half of the weekend.
Air Force Veteran

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 05:29:53 PM »
they do have some merit 'when all things are 'normal''. once you throw in unusual weather, that trumps the calendar IMO.

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 11:37:57 AM »
Well things did improve a little over the 3-5 star weekend of Jan. 8-11! On the first day (Friday) my buddy had an 8 point Buck walk out on the food plot at 5:00 in broad daylight, 30 minutes before the end of shooting light, he's now in the freezer! This guy is the luckiest guy at our Camp, he sits for one day and scores a nice 8 Point and others sit in that stand for days and don't see anything. Just goes to show you hunting is a combination of skill and chance. I did see 3 Does on the last morning (Monday) but they spooked before I could get a shot off. I think with the rising sun in my face it may have reflected off my scope or they saw my movement. 2 other guys hunting with us didn't see anything.

I'll be heading back up to hunt Jan. 22-25, hopefully the rut will be starting and things will improve even more as far as deer sightings go.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:56 AM »
Well with only 2 weeks left in the season I finally scored an average Buck! He will do good at starting to fill the freezer. Shot him Saturday morning at 8:15 am when he was checking out a green field I was watching.

This weekend marked the start of the rut in our area I think. Sunday night I saw a Doe get chased by a Buck and Monday morning I seen one of the biggest Bucks I've seen where I hunt come down and check the same green field I shot that 5 point at but he didn't stick around long enough for me to pick up my rifle and make a shot. You could tell he knew it wasn't a good idea to sit out in the open and quickly disappeared back into the woods when he figured out there were no Does in the field.

All in all it was a great weekend of hunting, scored a decent Buck to put some meat in the freezer and saw enough action to motivate me into going back up this weekend which means I'll be hunting the last 2 weekends of the season. I'll post a pic up once the email arrives from my phone, seems to be a hang up this morning with sending pics to my work email!
Air Force Veteran

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 02:27:40 PM »
Congrats on the buck, Viking.  Better late than never.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad