New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: worst year ever  (Read 1579 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: worst year ever
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »
Hang in there Dave...we've all had season like that from time to time. Stay after them it only takes that one magic moment... @--0--0101
  True it only takes 5 seconds to change your season good luck!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
Everyone has those seasons. Keep your chin up.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »
Dave the doe went nocturnal in Sept...the one I shott yesterday was the 3 day time doe I have seen....when I gutted her she was filled with pellets but her guts were nearly empty and the rest of her intestines were small and squishy....She must have bedded early and had just gotten up at 3:30...I shot her going to a SB plot a 3:45...Strange...I thought they ate during the day at least near their bedding...

Offline BubbaBrown

• Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
My luck is bad too this year. With my back screwed up, I haven't been to the camp but twice since the season opened. Luckily for me, our peak of the rut is not until after Christmas and I'm invited to Davis Island again in January!
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
season is done and I have tags soup
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »
Weather definitely took some of my time away.I lost 4 days due to travel bans and heavy snow at home to deal with.Finally,I did hunt hard but also had to deal with wind,snow and rain.I used 4 different weather Apps on my phone and they were all different.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
Also my worst season in Kentucky. Lots of night pics on camera, almost no daytime sightings or deer at all for the last half of the season.

Dave, do what we did.. quit deer hunting and start squirrel hunting.. those pesky little critters never saw it coming! We have wacked a pile of them in the last 4 days!
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline lefthandpale

• Spike
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 11:39:01 AM »
The wife and I had our usual good season with 2 large body bucks and a large doe, along with a smaller doe. Time to squirrel hunt next. I have had some of those 1 deer or less seasons before so it is nice that we are getting some consistency lately.

Offline Cleburne

• 6 Point
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
I get off work at 2pm, get home and get in the woods at 3 or so. Have only seen one doe in six times I have been out. Maybe things will pick up after Christmas.

Offline growalot

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 09:15:24 AM »
Yesterday I found out why I may have not seen deer...guy 2 properties below us shot 11 with archery equipment off his 12 acres...2 buck 9 doe...now we are allowed 2 buck...we have to use a muzzle loading tag to use cross bows late season,or any gun season...BUT only allowed 4 doe tags of your own and then 2 sign overs legally..hhmmm where did the other 3 come from? @--0--0122
in a 2 sq mile radius it would only take 2 more guys like this to mess up the hunting on this hill...and we have a few of them @--0--0127

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:09 AM »
Dave, I feel your frustration.   I have had many more deer-less seasons in my lifetime than not.  And some passed without ever seeing a deer. 

I have seen fewer deer this year than usual and everyone I've talked to has had the same experience.    In my area we still had standing corn until two days ago.   A few hundred acres of corn can hide a lot of deer.

Yesterday I found out why I may have not seen deer...guy 2 properties below us shot 11 with archery equipment off his 12 acres...2 buck 9 doe...now we are allowed 2 buck...we have to use a muzzle loading tag to use cross bows late season,or any gun season...BUT only allowed 4 doe tags of your own and then 2 sign overs legally..hhmmm where did the other 3 come from? @--0--0122
in a 2 sq mile radius it would only take 2 more guys like this to mess up the hunting on this hill...and we have a few of them @--0--0127

Was it truly the land owner or did he have other people hunting his property that he was counting?   Does make you wonder, maybe he just slipped up and admitted to poaching.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline growalot

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »
No just the land owner and I'm sure he had tags...can't tell ya how many guys make their wives and girls/friends take the safety course just so they can use their tags illegally...Now how does the DEC prove it? ...unless they nail them in the act of actually holding the tag...or not having a tag to put on the deer...with populations as they are, I don't think they care...but to me...it's poaching plain and simple...now I have no doubt he probably used her buck tags as well (if that's the case) and shut up about it...what happens is they take "practice" buck(smaller) on wives waiting to use their tags on a bigger buck...I know of a lease guy that tried to buy his wives girl friends archery tag...after talking her into taking the course with his wife...neither bow hunt... it puts the screws to every legal hunter in the area...just ticks me off @--0--0122

Offline CarrieZ

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
    • Have Blog, Will Travel
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
for me hunting I have had years where I have seen deer but just not shot them but this year is the first year ever where I have seen one deer there is lots of sign tracks rubs scrapes and droppings just not seeing the deer I have two days of gun left and then 6 out of nine days of muzzleloader season but this not seen deer makes it hard to go out any more   @--0--0128

some one please send me deer to look at I am tired of seeing these   ##$%#16  ##$%#16  ##$%#16  ##$%#16  ##$%#16  ##$%#16  ##$%#16  ##$%#16

Right there with ya man.  Tons of deer scat and rubs but all the deer are sneakier than me this year!!

New Page 3

Google Ad