New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: My last WI Gun season day...  (Read 953 times)

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
Re: My last WI Gun season day...
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »
Well done partner, sounds like you are the tracking expert in your parts! Maybe one of these days I'll make it back home for hunting season and you and I can go on a hunt together. I would love to pick your brain for your tracking secrets. One thing I've always wondered is there truly a certain color light that will make blood show up better? Here in the South we don't have the benefit of snow covered ground to track bright red blood drops. Here we have to spot the blood among all the red and brown leaves that have fallen and cover the forest floor. I can't tell you how many times I've spotted what I thought was blood only to find out it was a brightly colored red leaf! Kudos to you for helping to find that "Nice 8 Pointer"!

Thanks Dutch, I will definitely add that to my hunting kit I keep it back at the camp house.

Hydrogen peroxide in a squirt bottle use a nozzle that will spray mist in a wide pattern. Any blood will bubble up a pink frothy foam. Just don't use to much so you can still read the direction of travel.
Air Force Veteran

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
Oh how many times I have lived in those very same footsteps...I seem to be the guy they all call...when they have a "hard hit deer"... about 10 (more or less) so far this year...found all of them...so far...my longest track this year was less than a mile, maybe a mile, no more...what should have been the shortest track ended up being just about that long...got the call...and headed over to were the guy (we will call him Fred) said he had last seen the deer...about 300 yards from were his stand is located...he swore it was a good solid hit...I really didn't have a reason not to think it wasn't as he explained the reaction...well, last sighting was as he took his second shot at it...off hand, slug gun, open sights killed the tree behind the deer...casting around I saw were the deer had run through the leaves, but no blood...followed it for a good while...still no blood...finally came up on him...watched it for maybe 5 minutes or so...realized this deer was not even hit...it was after shooting hours, so he couldn't do any more that day...but I also said the deer was not hit...he got a bit testy over that...I can understand that...so I got to thinking...what if it's not the one he shot at first? back to his stand...standing there under his stand I ask him were was the deer when he first shot. he pointed it out... then I ask were did he see it run from...well, now the rest of the story comes out...instead of waiting, he climbs out of his stand a goes right to were the deer went into the laurels...he said that's when it ran out and up over the hill...I walked over to were the deer got shot...saw lots of blood and hair...looked in the direction of the run and there it was...not 30 feet from POI...very much dead...so I spent about 3 hours tracking the wrong deer...lessoned learned on my side...always start at the start...not half way through the race...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 10:37:35 PM »

Oh how many times I have lived in those very same footsteps...I seem to be the guy they all call...when they have a "hard hit deer"... about 10 (more or less) so far this year...found all of them...so far...my longest track this year was less than a mile, maybe a mile, no more...what should have been the shortest track ended up being just about that long...got the call...and headed over to were the guy (we will call him Fred) said he had last seen the deer...about 300 yards from were his stand is located...he swore it was a good solid hit...I really didn't have a reason not to think it wasn't as he explained the reaction...well, last sighting was as he took his second shot at it...off hand, slug gun, open sights killed the tree behind the deer...casting around I saw were the deer had run through the leaves, but no blood...followed it for a good while...still no blood...finally came up on him...watched it for maybe 5 minutes or so...realized this deer was not even hit...it was after shooting hours, so he couldn't do any more that day...but I also said the deer was not hit...he got a bit testy over that...I can understand that...so I got to thinking...what if it's not the one he shot at first? back to his stand...standing there under his stand I ask him were was the deer when he first shot. he pointed it out... then I ask were did he see it run from...well, now the rest of the story comes out...instead of waiting, he climbs out of his stand a goes right to were the deer went into the laurels...he said that's when it ran out and up over the hill...I walked over to were the deer got shot...saw lots of blood and hair...looked in the direction of the run and there it was...not 30 feet from POI...very much dead...so I spent about 3 hours tracking the wrong deer...lessoned learned on my side...always start at the start...not half way through the race...

TT @--0--0107
That one stings. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »

TT @--0--0107

I did that one time. I picked the buck track that went in the direct he thought his buck went. I caught up to 'his buck' 1/4 mile away and downed it. turns out his buck kicked 'my buck' up. his was dead back by his stand. we found it while we dragged mine out. mine was bigger. :-)
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »
Good advice by all of you guys - I've certainly learned through experience too that it's important to "start at the start" - even to the point that I climb up in the stand the shooter was in and have them go stand where they think the deer was when they shot.  Not uncommon to see that in actuality they shot through a branch and likely never touched the deer with the projectile (then last year I humbled myself by doing that as well, :-( crud)    Just hard to ever convince yourself that the deer isn't hit, even when you find something like that. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline spider005

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Good job Dutch.

New Page 3

Google Ad