New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: What do you think??  (Read 669 times)

Offline hoytman62

• Spike
What do you think??
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
I watch all these outdoor hunting shows and they ALL say to Scent Killer or some kind of scent killer before hunting.  Then they say, use a Cove Scent. Before that, Shower with scent killer soap or wash. Then was clothes in Scent Killing detergent. Then you need Scent Lok clothing. THEN after all that, use Ozonics!!  I have done it all and they still get me!!  Is this stuff just to get your money?  You can have thousands of dollars locked up in all this stuff and still get busted!! Oh yea, don't forget the Tinks, Doe Pee, etc.and Rubber boots, drags, All the Deer calls and Antler Rattles!!! Mercy!! But before all that, don't forget the Trail Cameras!! $$$$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Re: What do you think??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
It's all part of the game these days I guess. But unless you're hunting in a high density area in a box blind over looking a big lush food plot or feeder, it still comes down to good scouting, a little woodsmanship, hunting the wind, and a lot of luck. 

I hope you didn't buy into that expensive ozonics gimmick....
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline hoytman62

• Spike
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »
Nope, I didn't...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
It is all part of the game. This is a comercial world we live in.
You don't really need any of that stuff to to get a deer. The sale of these products does support the wildlife fund through taxes etc.
JMO
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:18:34 PM »
IMO, you don't need all that stuff, which is basically to help disguise the lack of good woodmanship.  Play the wind, and the terrain. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:43:02 AM »
I use the Dead Down Wind scent killer. It also has UV killer in it. If the product you are using does not kill the UV glow from your clothes that may be what the deer see. Remember to use the wind in your favor and scent becomes a mute point.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
I'm sure all of that stuffs works to an extent. But deer wouldn't still be on this earth if all of it worked. You need to understand a deer is spooky to any "foreign" smell in their bedrooms. The best thing to do is control what you can control. That little bit goes a long way. For example, if you have a jam up food plot to your north and the wind is comin outta the south, then you bite the bullet and don't hunt it. No matter how many deer are using it.  Playing the wind is the number one thing to consistent deer harvests without being busted. Another thing is control the foreigns you can control. Like not wearing your hunting clothes to the local diner after a hunt. I make sure to change outta my clothes prior to getting in my rig and going somewhere where foreign smells are the norm. I keep all the clothes I wear to the field in a plastic Rubbermaid container also.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
i'm a scent freak. I won't buy ozonics though. that's way overboard. I've had no less than 40 deer and 2 bear completely downwind this year. none of then buggered out. i'm hunting ladder stands so i'm no higher than 18'.

I do everything from head to toe. are you using scent free gum and tooth paste? I think that's part of what people miss. your mouth gives off a ton of scent.

I also see people showering in scent free soap and drying off w/ a smelly towel. I air dry all my towels in a cedar tree

it's not 100%, but it's been very good for me. I really like dead down wind products
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »
People have been killing deer long before any of these products hit the market or and even before there was a market, or showers, or camo.....
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline trashfishandcullbucks

• Button Buck
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 12:09:55 AM »
A lot of it is gimmicky (probably most of it), but there is probably some truth to some of it it as well.  A lot also depends on where you hunt.  If it's an area where human smells are just a part of life for a deer (ranchers, farmers, oil traffic, border patrol, etc.), they tend to not pay a whole lot of attention.  I've never felt the need to use any of the scent products and I kill a fair number of deer each year.  But, if you're in an area where deer rarely small people, scent control is needed.  But, for most, scent control means playing the wind.
"The recreational value of game...is inverse to the artificiality of its origin" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
A lot of it also depends on the type of hunting you do. If Im sitting in a box blind, with a rifle, looking at a 50 acre cut corn field, I don't feel the need to "scent proof" all that much. However, if I am bow hunting a trail in the woods and deer could come from any direction, I am a lot more careful about scent.

Keep in mind that hunting the wind is essential but pay attention to where your scent is going. It may not be blowing into the area you are hunting that day but is it blowing into an area that they are using for bedding? scent can be pressure and enough pressure in a bedding or feeding area can change their patterns.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

New Page 3

Google Ad