New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: whiffed???  (Read 534 times)

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
whiffed???
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:58:57 AM »
OK guys I had the 243 federal soft points....deer came in very small opening but stepped in and stopped 70yrds..shot all spun around then came right at me...talking lft to rt....same again at 40 yrds...then at 20 WIDE open...stopps plenty of time 16 ft up shoot..I see flinch and the bullet hit 3 ft behind...I actually measured ????deer run away!...So beside my self get down check spot nothing ...follow tracks to just crest of ridge..and back out nothing go to target...mind you I used my gun rail on stand...40 yrds I off hand standing shot 1 1/2 '' high 1/2'' lft of center...walk back to 100 yrds...have a hard time getting breathing calmed down I on a solid wood rest hit 2'' down and 1 1/2 '' lft of center....what are the chance she was hit but no blood...I'm going to check this morning again ...

Offline growalot

Re: whiffed???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 04:03:15 AM »
ps ...I ask because a 6pt I took with same set up...I hit in the shoulder and he nose plowed 50yrds out of sight...so I went to shot spot and nothing ...followed his plowing and not a drop of blood,,,get to him and I had a difficult time finding the bullet hole...no exit wound...

Offline 4blade

• 6 Point
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:52:15 AM »
Difficult to say Grow. But the fact that you spun her around on one shot, and she flinched at another, I'd say she was hit.  I'd keep checking. The 6pt didn't bleed either for you.  I'd keep looking this morning.

Offline growalot

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:17:54 AM »
Well I followed the trails to the next property...after I'd shot the last time and she bolted she never stopped againand I heard the neighbor they ran to shoot...so I think the shots were darn close ..spooking them but not a hit... checking cams to see if they came back thru during the night
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:18:05 AM by growalot »

Offline 4blade

• 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:31:27 AM »
Glad you looked, makes you feel better that you put the effort to retrieve her.  Are you in for the snow that blew through here ? 

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »
all you can do is look grow....couple inches of snow fell here overnight....been a quiet shotgun week....word around is numbers are down after last winter

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »
i would bet she just didn't bleed out. Emily's buck shot w/ a 243 went approx. 100 yrds and didn't bleed. there was no exit. the bullet was in the far side of the hide.

from now on, I would get a round w/ better penetration/power to insure a pass through. I know I did this w/ em's rounds

I would look around and see if you can track her foot prints. she probably didn't go more than 100 yards. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »
My son shot a doe this morning with a 30-30 handgun at about 10 feet away.  She only went maybe 30 yards with a heart shot, but not one drop of blood and found the bullet in the off shoulder. So they can, have, and do run with out really bleeding.

Offline growalot

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
Thanks guys...from the shots I had they were lung shoulder...so I doubt if hit she would have made that 200yrd run without showing at least some faltering sign in the snow even with out the blood....I think I just managed to probably shoot to low at the 70 and too high on the other shots...carrying my trusty browning 20 again... @--0--0137

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 05:37:01 AM »
Some times, if the deer is hit high up on the body, they will eventually die, but they bleed internally, leaving very little if any blood trail. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »
What grain bullet do you use? In a 243 the 95 or 100 grain is what I'd use for whitetail nothing lighter!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline growalot

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
100gr....... but no worries for her and the other doe and fawn had me trapped in my stand until 5:40 tonight...I was late getting out due to 2 buttons under me then the three came in 10 mins. after close...light enough but legal is legal period...they would not leave so I managed to climb out of stand and down ladder as they were a mere 20 yrds or so away...it was pretty darn dark by then..yet some one shot at 5:18... @--0--0122.... so I'm a bit embarrassed at the misses but glad I did and am carrying the trusted browning 3 " 20ga

New Page 3

Google Ad