New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: What to use  (Read 339 times)

Offline hoytman62

• Spike
What to use
« on: November 07, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »
I was wondering what kind of cough drops you use while in your stand. Wouldn't it have to be one that didn't give off much of an odor?  Also is coffee ok or does the smell keep deer away? Thanks so much?

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
Re: What to use
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »
The old timers always wrote in their books and articles than anise cough drops did not spook deer. I have no idea if this this is true but have read it on more than one occasion.
Fox
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »
I use fireballs to stop a tickle never had any problem with deer smelling them. I guess any hard candy would work and it wouldn't put off a strong odor like a cough drop.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
A lot of those smells will attract deer just out of curiosity.   I always used Werthers when hunting if I had a choice.

I don't drink coffee in the stand but my dad has killed several.  I think it all depends on the deer.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
I drink coffee in the stand and have any coughdrop available.  Never had a problem.  I hunt in an area when the shooting starts the deer run and scatter ;D
and don't pay attention sometimes.  If your bow hunting maybe use the precautions the other guys/gals giving you  @--0--0101
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »
I always take an insulated mug of coffee to the blind with me.  The lid has a tab you flip when you want to take a drink.  I keep it shut to help keep the coffee warm, so there is very little chance of any smell getting out.  At any rate, I don't think it alarms the deer.  Normally, I don't have to worry about coughing, so I don't carry cough drops.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
I use honey or fruit favored cough drops. I then use deodorant gum right after.(gum-o-flage)

as for coffee, I wouldn't. too much smell
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad