New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hen of the Woods, and perhaps Horse of the Woods?  (Read 341 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Hen of the Woods, and perhaps Horse of the Woods?
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Finally had an opportunity today for a morning bowhunt, first one all season.  No deer unfortunately, but a beautiful morning to be in the woods (aren't they all?)   Stumbled across a nice looking Hen of the Woods mushroom in the dark on my way to the tree, so I brought him home when I came back out.  Weighs about 8 pounds - yum!

Then I decided to take a stroll around the edges of the CRP ground on this place to see if I could see any rubs/scrapes before I came home.  Was seeing a few saplings torn up (all small stuff) and no evidence of scrapes.  Then I came upon this old cedar tree - - if the old adage of "the bigger the tree, the bigger the buck" holds true, I need to get serious about figuring this dude out.  This cedar has a diameter of about 9-10".  The rub is relatively low to the ground in the photo, but the deer would have been standing in a bit of a depression below the tree when he did this.  Found several small scrapes in the general vicinity, and found an ideal place to create a mock scrape within about 20 yards of a great stand location - anxious to see if I can get him out in the daylight - may be very difficult given the way in which the surrounding land is being developed, as I'm pretty sure he's bedding in an area which he would be reluctant to leave early enough to get to where these scrapes/rubs are in the daylight.

All in all, a good morning!

One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

Hen of the Woods, and perhaps Horse of the Woods?
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
Re: Hen of the Woods, and perhaps Horse of the Woods?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:53:54 AM »
Oops - forgot the second attachment (mushroom)
and enjoy it!

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:55:20 AM »
Duh, third time's a charm??? @--0--0129
and enjoy it!

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:25:48 PM »
that is a good size mushroom, some good eating there
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »
That is one large mushroom...I would have not idea that you could eat that! I love mushrooms but I'll get mine at the store as I have no clue which kind you can eat or not!

What is it about cedar tree as deer love to rub them? About 10 or so years ago I was hunting an area that was a cedar grove next to a big swamp. One morning while sitting in a stand I watched a spike with around four to six inch horns approach this really large cedar tree. He started rubbing the tree with his spikes and worked on that tree for 10 to 15 minutes and when he was finished that was the most amazing rub I'd ever seen. It was the rub dreams are made of and if I'd hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would of just known that it was made by the "Godzilla of Deer". All rubs are not a good indication of how big the buck is. A cedar tree has such soft bark if really doesn't take much to do some impressive damage. On the other hand I get excited when I find a tree that has been rubbed and broken off. This type of rub tells me that I'm dealing with a deer with a rack that has thanes and he's got the sapling hung up in them and broke the tree off. Those get my attention as well as a good hardwood with a nice high rub. The bottom line anytime I find a rub or scrape it gets me fired up...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »
can you get a cam pointed at that tree? that's a great rub. I bet a stud buck made it. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 07:44:27 AM »
Seeing that rub on land I hunt would have me all kinds of excited!
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline 4blade

• 6 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 07:44:40 AM »
 Nice Rub !  Great shroom.  Was out this past weekend and didn't see any scrapes yet ??  Did see nice 1/1/2 yr fork horn.  Nice frosty morning on Sunday.  Good luck catching that buck Madgomer, and happy eating. 

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
At least you did not come out of the woods empty handed.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Yep, Saturday was a good day.  Had seen those Hen of the Woods shrooms off and on over the years, but never felt comfortable trying one until a couple of years ago at a campground when I ran into a guy who had just picked three of them.  There are some really good images and info on the internet about these, and apparently these are hard to mistake for any poisonous species once you know what to look for.  I fried some up as I was cleaning it, then made some mushroom/sausage/black bean soup on Sunday afternoon - tasted good, and I'm still kickin' so must have done OK.

Back to the deer side of the story.  Oddly enough, I went back out Saturday afternoon to sit, thinking about how I was going to start going after the buck that left that big cedar tree rubbed up about a quarter mile away.  At about 5:45 a big dude showed up, moving through the brush at about 45 yards.  Got a few decent looks, but no way to shoot that far through this stuff.  Not a tall rack, but a wide and heavy 5X5 - a shooter without a doubt.  He moved off in the direction where I hung a camera earlier that morning, maybe I'll get lucky & find his smiling face on it.  If that happens to be the same buck that made that rub, it just goes to show once again how wrong I can be - I would have guessed he was spending the daylight hours bedded down on the opposite end of the farm based on how I've traditionally seen the deer moving on that place over the last 25 years.  Obviously could be a different buck too (I'm happy either way!)
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad