New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Crossbow suggestions.  (Read 2968 times)

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Crossbow suggestions.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »
The mission line seems pretty solid and it is the only cam-bow I know of that allows you to change draw weight and change strings/cables with only a wrench making it very field serviceable.  For this reason alone it will most likely be my next cam-bow purchase.  I know the MXB line is solid but I do not know much about the 400.  All I can say is that just like with firearms, speed comes with sacrifice.  It id harder on equipment, components, targets, and your shoulders (Unless you use a rope cocking device).  A big benefit to faster bows, for me at least as I am  not a speed freak, is that it will push a much heavier arrow as fast as the mid-speed bows.  Also shooting heavier arrows tens to be less hard on components as it has transfer more energy to them to get them moving.

I hear very little negative about Ten Point bows but recently I am hearing some rumblings about a possible trigger safety issue.  Might be isolated as might not be.

http://www.mytwintiers.com/story/d/story/crossbow-controversy/14618/_z16-1vtbkCDYkHXwk28Ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L64rUMWfbU

Not trying to sway you one way or another.  Not sure of there is enough info yet to make a decision but i just wanted to pass on what I have heard.  I know people that own Ten Points and love them to the point of claiming they will never buy any other brand. I honestly don't know anyone that has bought one that didn't like it.

I prefer aluminum arrows myself.  They are cheaper and shoot great out of the box.  I've never had to do any spine testing/indexing to get them (alum)  to fly well from my bows.  They do tend to run heavier than carbon but for hunting I prefer a heavier arrow.  Some day they bend easy but the same ones I bought when I bought my first Xbow a couple years ago are still in the linup.  Some of the faster bows may be harder on them then my 250-320fps bows.  (I have a 355fps Middleton  DTM355SS coming so we shall see if that changes. ;-D)

One more thing I will add is that the ATA show is only about a month away.   New 2015 models will be released.  There may be something there that you want or you may find a 2014 or older bow cheaper once the new ones are released.   I always find nice used models cheap around this time because some people just HAVE to upgrade every year.  LOL

Overall I think you've picked come good bows and that you will be happy with them.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
I know you like to shop at mr g's place, but you might want to come to Hudson and shot a few of them. A-1 archery has quite a few xbows to try. there's no way I would buy any bow before shooting several brands and models. I shot 25-30 different bows before I bought my Mathews. I went in w/ Mathews as my last choice. I thought it was just a yuppy thing to buy. I was wrong(it happens a lot) when I was done, I had 4 Mathews models left on the 'good' rack and the other brands were all back on the shelf. I was amazed at how much better the Mathews felt at the shot.

this isn't a Mathews commercial. just saying everyone has their own preferences. i'm sure you will find one xbow that will fell better than the others. after you spend $1000 you want to have your best feeling xbow in the truck when you leave

merry Christmas.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
Dutch, I never bow hunted in my life and I was with my partner who just got a crossbow(I was hunting turks from the same blind) and watched him down a nice spike.  Needless to say I went out and got one myself.  He has a Barnett Bone Collector (nice) and I didn't want the same one so I got the new Game Crusher by Barnett.  I will be out next year to try it.  I have shoulder and arthritis issues so this is something I have wanted to try.  It was an awesome hunt.  35 yard shot.  The Game Crusher is not on there site yet but sort of looks like there Jackal that they make.   @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »
Dutch, I never bow hunted in my life and I was with my partner who just got a crossbow(I was hunting turks from the same blind) and watched him down a nice spike.  Needless to say I went out and got one myself.  He has a Barnett Bone Collector (nice) and I didn't want the same one so I got the new Game Crusher by Barnett.  I will be out next year to try it.  I have shoulder and arthritis issues so this is something I have wanted to try.  It was an awesome hunt.  35 yard shot.  The Game Crusher is not on there site yet but sort of looks like there Jackal that they make.   @--0--0118

just saw your post on bolts, we just use the ones that come with Barnett and the Grim Reaper worked well
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »
We've just done a little "cam kickin'". So far my partner likes the Venon by Ten point. I like the Titan Extreme. At Mr. G's shop they have the Titan Extreme Package (bow, scope, quiver, 3 XX75 bolts, Accu-cock, silencers and practice points) on sale for $800.  ##$%#1119 Mr. G loves to take my money. We looked at the Mission line and the MXB400 intrigued me. We have not done any test driving. That's scheduled for after the holidays. Thanks for all of the input.

We have pretty much decided on Easton's XX75 bolts regardless of which XBow we wind up with. So now I'd like your thoughts on bolts. Thanks in advance.
As I told you before, I decided on the Mission and a major reason is that my local archery shop sells and supports it. As far a bolts, Mission makes their own custom made and matched to their xbow. Having done that, the bolt flies straight and true and is extremely accurate. As with any bow, you need to test and try and make your own decision. Having Mission match their OWN bolts to their xbow was another reason I chose them.
Fox
Merry Christmas to all.
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »
Dutch...there are a lot of really good crossbows on the market today. I've got a Stryker by Bow Tech and have been extremely pleased with it. The Mission crossbows are another one I considered. I was looking for compact and light weight...shoot as many as you can it, all about what fits you best. You'll love using a crossbow and the accuracy is amazing. I have a Hawke crossbow scope that I can hit a pie plant with at 100 yards...not that I'd ever take that kind of a shot with a bow. Put it's nice to know that they can be that accurate and 50 yards is a different story.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:21:09 PM by Split toe »
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 03:53:58 PM »
Don't forget Dutch - practice practice practice!   

@--0--0102

Merry Christmas!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
Dutch,
I do not know what happened to my last post but what I was trying to say is, bolts are like different loads in the same caliber. They will all shoot differently. One of the many factors that led me to buy the Mission Xbow by Mathews was that they make their own bolts custom designed for their bows. I do not get all worked up about the speed of any bow but I do get very excited about the accuracy. You will be very impressed with the overall accuracy of any Xbow but I encourage you to try the Mission before you make your final choice. They a great bow matched with Hawke scopes and using their own designed bolts. Good luck with your choices.
Fox
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
Don't overlook the Stryker LS...Its made by Bowtech and they are lightening fast.At 390 ft per sec....the hard part is getting a crossbow target it doesn't blow through...
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
I use the carbon firebolts with lighted nocks on my excaliber...these old eyes can pick up the lighted nocks in flight very nicely

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
Similar here - carbon bolts (20"), lighted nocks, and Grim Reaper expandable heads.  Haven't taken a deer with mine yet, but love the lighted nocks & Grim Reapers on my compound that I've used for years & assume they will work as well on my crossbow.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
Excalibur all the way IMO. They are dummy proof and you can fix everything on them yourself. They are recurve Xbows so they are a little wide but they hit what you aim at for sure out to 50 yds with the scope I have on mine. They are simple and very tough.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »
Try the Mission Crossbows for sure.
I have the Mission Dagger after shooting the Parker Tornado.
It felt better, balance wise and shoots at 340 fps.  Fast enough to take
an elk.  It came with a nice scope, 3 arrows, quiver, soft case, oil, rope and hat.

Definitely shoot Missions.       %^$^
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season