New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Crossbow suggestions.  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Crossbow suggestions.
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:28:01 PM »
My hunting pal and I are considering buying crossbows for next year. We both have developed shoulder issues and have decided it's time to hang up the compounds. We have been looking at TenPoint Venom's and Barnett Vengeance's. Please give me some feedback on these or others we should consider. Thanks, Dutch
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Crossbow suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
Dutch, i really like my new TenPoint Shadow ultra lite. Give it a try with the AcuDraw!
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »
like any bow, go to a shop and shoot a few. Hudson's bow shop has several brands to choose from. the name of it is A-1. I would call them and set an appointment to shoot. they are good guys

if you come this way, let me know
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »
I had an old excaliber for more than fifteen years and never did anything but change the string..shot a lot of deer with it..this fall I finally bit the bullet and bought a new excaliber matrix380...should have done it sooner.I can hit dead on at fifty plus yards over and over...would never shoot at a deer that far.
 it,s a good bet you will do your homework and get what suits you best Dutch...they are definately easier on us old fellas

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
I've had a Barnett Wildcat and I currently have a Barnett Raptor and an Excalibur Phoenix. With my arrows (easton xx75/100gr tips/luminoks) they are shooting 320 and 265fps respectively based on my chrony. With an Optimizer sight the Phoenix is very accurate to 60 yards though I would not shot game that far with it.  My go to bow is the Raptor as it is a lot narrower than the Excal and is much easier to shoot out of a stand. While it is a bit faster that is not a determining factor for me. Usually with speed you get other issues as well one being that it is harder on componants.

My best advice is try to determine what qualities you feel are important to you in a bow and then shoot as many as you can. Like guns they all have their own personalities and feel to them and one size does not fit all....thats why I've bought 3 and counting.

I wil ad that for ease of maint and simplicity you cant beat a Excalibur. They also have an outstanding warranty, you dont need a press to adjust/replace the strings and there is an awesome aftermarket trigger for most models.  On the downside they tend to be wider than many others which can be an issue finding cases and hunting out of tight stands.

Mission (Matthews), Darton and others also make some really good bows.

Sent from my Barnett Raptor using alien technology

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
I'll put a plug in for a local company, Velocity Archery.  I have their Lionheart model and like it.  It's the only crossbow I've ever owned and shot, so I can't compare to the big companies.  I bought the Lionheart (advertised at around 315 fps) with red dot scope, quiver and 4 bolts for under $300.  I shoot 125 grain Thunderheads and it shoots great.  I just added Sims crossbow limbsavers last week.
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 08:31:03 AM »
I do not know much about the brands you mentioned, but last yea I bought a excalibur and love it. Just be sure to shoot one before you buy it and make sure it feels good to you.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 11:03:05 AM »
Dutch I have shot several crossbows.  I will have to say the best CB was the Stryker manufactured by Bowtech.  One of the best features was its trigger.  No creap and a clean break.  Maybe a 3lb pull?  It had no shock, very smooth and well ballanced.  The bow belong to Split Tow. I am sure he can chime in on his evaluation.  Thats my 2 cents...  Hope it helps       
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline 4blade

• 6 Point
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:07 AM »
Hey Dutch.  Everyone will have an opinion on which is best with reasons why.  I too am looking at a X bow.  I liked the Excaliber, but have stopped short of buying.  Reason is I'm going to the farm this weekend and actually sitting in my blinds with a ruler and seeing if a 36 inch wide crossbow (Excaliber) is going to be too wide to maneuver around inside.  Some of the compound ones have much shorter widths.  So, if you're more in blinds than tree stands, that may be something to consider.  Hope that helps.   

Offline Tattooed Hunter

• 6 Point
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
My crossbow is a tenpoint pro elite.  I know people that have Parker, Barnett & Excaliber.  The Excaliber is wider since it is not a compound bow, so string change is easier but moving in the woods is more difficult.  Barnett seemed to be kinda loud.  And the parker I didn't hear any complaints.  There is my 2 cents on the matter.  Happy hunting.
A bad day hunting is better than a good day working.

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
Dutch,
Crossbows are like everything else, it is in the eyes of the beholder. Having said that, make sure you pay strict attention to the warranty offered with the bow. I only looked at bows that offered life time warranties and then they are not all equal. After doing my due diligence I came down to the Ten Point and the Mission made by Mathews. I selected the Mission as it was the smallest most compact bow and it was by far the quietest bow I shot. They make their own bolts which are matched perfectly to the bow and the accuracy is incredible. Just sharing my experience after going through the same process you are going through now.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline GOLEE

• 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
Dutch
The sky is the limit as to what and how much crossbow a man needs. When I purchased,  I looked at above and below my means and chose the Barnett Quad 400. I put a Leopold 2-7x33 Crossbones scope on it and it has been a nice one. I put alot of money in my optics, and bought a new Busnell range finder to go with it. It all came to around $1,000 when I finished with all of it, and have upgraded even further to different arrows, broadheads, targets and so on. As mentioned.. shoot one at your local shop and see if its the feel you want, or sound. Some of these sound like a gun going off.
I have had mine now for about 4 years, and have learned how to shoot it. I can say Im happy with it.
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »
I got the Barnett Quad 400 also.  So far in limited use, I like it. fits me well and groups well.
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Capitolken

• 4 Point
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 06:32:54 AM »
Crossbows are like everything else we use - there are many out there and no two work the same for each person. I've got Excalibur and Horton and have used several others - TenPoint, Barnet & PSE. There are things on each I like and things I don't - best bet for you is to go to as many shops, shows, or events that have crossbows and handle them, feel them, shoot them, take time to write down the features you like as well as what you don't. Will weights be an issue? Will you be sitting in a blind or still hunting? Do you wan to accessorize and use it for fishing also?
Consider it like buying your next hunting rig - you wouldn't just go to one dealer (unless they have more than one brand) and buy without checking out the competition. They all pretty much do the same thing - but if you are going to invest in something you are going to own for a while, take some time to find the right one for you.
NRA Endowment Life member
NAHC Life Member
Pro Staff: Mossy Oak, Browning, Remington, Mossberg, H&R
Active Member NEOWA
NH Lifetime Hunting & Fishing License
NH State Rep 2011-2013
July '15 Prize Winner

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
We've just done a little "cam kickin'". So far my partner likes the Venon by Ten point. I like the Titan Extreme. At Mr. G's shop they have the Titan Extreme Package (bow, scope, quiver, 3 XX75 bolts, Accu-cock, silencers and practice points) on sale for $800.  ##$%#1119 Mr. G loves to take my money. We looked at the Mission line and the MXB400 intrigued me. We have not done any test driving. That's scheduled for after the holidays. Thanks for all of the input.

We have pretty much decided on Easton's XX75 bolts regardless of which XBow we wind up with. So now I'd like your thoughts on bolts. Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas to all.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

New Page 3

Google Ad